• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Louisville axes both coordinators

GarySJ

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Louisville coach Steve Kragthorpe released defensive coordinator Mike Cassity, and offensive coordinator Charlie Stubbs resigned on Sunday just days after the Cardinals stumbled to a 6-6 season.

Jeff Brohm, a former Louisville star whose brother Brian just finished his career with the Cardinals, was promoted to offensive coordinator. Jeff Brohm served as assistant head coach, quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator this season.

Full story: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10508429

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ul has expectations

gotta respect their head coach

he didnt stand pat

usf needs a special teams coach

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

UofL fires defensive coordinator

Posted on Sun, Dec. 02, 2007

UofL fires defensive coordinator

Jeff Brohm named offensive coordinator

By Russ Brown

KENTUCKY.COM

LOUISVILLE  In the wake of Louisville's disappointing 6-6 football season, head coach Steve Kragthorpe announced Sunday afternoon that he has fired defensive coordinator Mike Cassity and accepted the resignation of offensive coordinator Charlie Stubbs.

Jeff Brohm, who served as assistant head coach, passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach this past season, was named offensive coordinator. Brohm is a former UofL quarterback and has been on the coaching staff for five seasons.

UofL floundered defensively most of the season. The Cardinals wound up No. 84 of 119 teams in NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision in total defense, having allowed 416.5 yards per game. They were 93rd in scoring defense, surrendering 31.4 ppg.

Their worst performance came in the next-to-last game of the season when they were trounced by South Florida 55-17.

"I just didn't feel we were productive on defense, or as productive as we should have been or needed to be," Kragthorpe said.

Cassity spent three years as defensive coordinator under former coach Bobby Petrino, the 2006 season as co-defensive coordinator with Kevin Wolthausen, who went to the Atlanta Falcons with Petrino.

"Essentially, we changed one coordinator when I came in here last year," Kragthorpe said. "We maintained the same exact system on defense and I just didn't feel like  particularly about the middle point of the season  that we were playing as well as we needed to on defense. I wanted to make some changes, and I did make some changes in terms of what we were doing from a schematic standpoint."

Stubbs moved with Kragthorpe from Tulsa after spending four years on his staff there. Kragthorpe said Stubbs resigned to pursue other opportunities. UofL finished eighth nationally in total offense at 488 yards per game and No. 21 in scoring at 35.17 points ppg. But more than one-fourth of those points came in the first two games against Murray State and Middle Tennessee State. The Cards averaged only 27.6 points in Big East play.

"Offensively, we took a lot of the things Charlie and I had been doing and blended them with the things they were already doing here," Kragthorpe said. "The biggest change is that Jeff will call the plays on game day.

"I feel great about Jeff and the communication he and I have. I think Jeff and I are on the same wavelength and I also want to keep some continuity. I thought we did some very good things offensively. Certainly we fell short in some situations, but we did some great things. I want to maintain the same type of system for our quarterbacks and our offensive guys going into next year."

Kragthorpe said he hopes to name a new defensive coordinator in two or three weeks and will also hire a receivers coach.

Kragthorpe said there is a "broad range" of qualifications he's looking for in a new defensive coordinator, adding that he wants someone with experience and who understands both defensive and offensive concepts.

Addressing the heat he has been under from UofL fans because his team failed to live up to pre-season expectations and lost one more game than it had lost in the previous three seasons combined, Kragthorpe said he understands and shares the fans' frustration.

"I'm disappointed with what happened this season," he said. "I take the blame for it. The fact we went 6-6 is totally my fault and I fully accept the fact I didn't do a good job as I needed to to put this team in position to win. All I can tell you is I'm going to do everything I can to work as hard as I possibly can to win more ballgames next year."

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Good thing they made those changes or they might not have held USF to 55 points.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

were these the same coordinators that were under petrino?

Archived