• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida 81, East Carolina 67

-los

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  145
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- Jesus Verdejo scored 20 points as South Florida beat East Carolina 81-67 on Saturday night.

All five South Florida starters scored in double figures. Orane Chin, Chris Howard and Dominique Jones contributed 17, 12 and 11 points, respectively. Kentrell Gransberry added 15 points and 10 rebounds.

South Florida (3-3) won its third consecutive game after an 0-3 start.

Sam Hinnant led East Carolina (2-3) with 25 points, and Gabe Blair finished with 14 for the Pirates.

South Florida built a 14-point lead midway through the first half, but East Carolina rallied behind the long-range shooting of Hinnant. The junior guard connected from behind the arc for the sixth time in the closing moments of the half to put the Pirates ahead 34-33.

But Verdejo answered with a pair of 3-pointers in the final minute to give South Florida a 39-36 halftime advantage.

The Bulls slowly rebuilt their lead in the second half

• Content Count:  145

Dominique Jones, G, South Florida, 6-4, 205

Averages: 11.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 30.2 mpg in six games

Breakout game: 13 points and eight rebounds in college debut, a 73-70 loss to Cleveland State; he also had 11 points, eight rebounds and six assists in Saturday's win over East Carolina.

Key Stat: 12 offensive rebounds, 11 steals and a 1.33:1 A/TO ratio through six games

Outlook: Shooting fairly well for a freshman in extended minutes (42.9 percent overall, 47.1 percent from 3), Jones is one of four Bulls averaging in double figures as they supplement rebounder extraordinaire Kentrell Gransberry with four perimeter scorers.

• Content Count:  2,726

So...this team is looking worlds better folks.  When do we get that top scorer back?  The new kid from FSU?

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  106

Before we get too excited, ECU is probably a very bad team. Besides us, their record at home was a mediocre 2-2 against very bad competition.

Another thing, Aaron Holmes is only a highly touted prospect that couldn't get any playing time at FSU, a team we just beat.

ECU Pirates Schedule

Date    Opponent /  Result

11/10/07 vs. Limestone  W, 78-60

11/13/07 vs. Richmond  L, 67-65 (OT)

11/17/07 vs. Liberty  L, 55-53

11/20/07 vs. North Carolina Wesleyan  W, 88-69

11/24/07 at USF Tampa, Fla. L, 81-67

• Content Count:  500

Before we get too excited, ECU is probably a very bad team. Besides us, their record at home was a mediocre 2-2 against very bad competition.

Another thing, Aaron Holmes is only a highly touted prospect that couldn't get any playing time at FSU, a team we just beat.

ECU Pirates Schedule

This is pretty absurd. He was a freshman guard, and wanted to be closer to home.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Limestone was good in the 80s.

• Content Count:  2,661

Before we get too excited, ECU is probably a very bad team.

And USF men's basketball has lost to a lot of very bad teams in recent years. Any victory is a positive step at this point.

Besides, surely we can muster up a little "neener neener" towards a Conference USA school? Especially one of the schools that was instrumental in delaying our football entry by two years, costing the 2002 team a bowl trip, and possibly a conference championship? Hey East Carolina, how are you enjoying that full membership in Conference USA? You fought hard to get it.

• Content Count:  12,293

So...this team is looking worlds better folks.  When do we get that top scorer back?  The new kid from FSU?

GO BULLS!!!

we got our top scorer back after the 1st game.  his name is Kentrell Gransberry.

as for Aaron Holmes...lets wait and see how he fits in.  I would like to see Chin and Jones handle most of the stuff from the outside. 

• Content Count:  106

ECU Pirates Schedule

This is pretty absurd. He was a freshman guard, and wanted to be closer to home.

What I was trying to say is that if he didn't get PT at FSU, should we really expect him to be an impact player for us now?

Anyway, I want this team to suceed as much as anyone, just trying to temper the enthusiasm from a lackluster win over a bad ECU team.

If things go well, the team will continue to develop and Gransberry will stay healthy. I am prepared for a rebuilding year, however.

Archived