• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn's Caulley to sit out first Big East season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

sect_logo_search.gif

UConn's Caulley to sit out first Big East season

Posted: Thursday August 12, 2004 1:26AM; Updated: Thursday August 12, 2004 1:26AM

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- Junior running back Terry Caulley will sit out Connecticut's first season in the Big East conference as a medical redshirt because of the knee injury he suffered last year, Huskies coach Randy Edsall announced Wednesday.

Caulley missed the last seven games of the season after he tore ligaments in his right knee against Virginia Tech on Sept. 27, when he was the nation's leading rusher with 601 yards. He rushed for 1,247 yards in 2002.

He will continue to rehabilitate the knee and hopes to be back at full strength for the 2005 season.

"Terry has come a long way in terms of his rehabilitation," Edsall said. "But he's still not 100 percent, so we're going to redshirt him and make sure he's 100 percent before he plays again. We want to do the best thing for Terry."

Caulley had been aiming to return in time for the 2004 season, which begins Sept. 4 when Connecticut entertains Murray State. But he realized early in the summer that his comeback was going to take longer than expected.

"I don't have the same confidence I had before I got hurt," Caulley said. "I don't feel I'm where I want to be."

Easing the blow for Connecticut, which went 9-3 last season but was not selected for a bowl game, is the return of three other running backs who filled in capably after Caulley was injured.

Sophomore Cornell Brockington led the team in rushing with 643 yards and touchdowns with 10, while senior Chris Bellamy (589 yards, three touchdowns) and sophomore Matt Lawrence (150 yards, one touchdown) also showed they could handle Caulley's responsibilities.

That trio began competing in earnest for more playing time Wednesday when Connecticut held its first preseason practice. Despite the rainy conditions, Edsall felt the team's first workout went well.

"I thought it was a decent day," the sixth-year coach said. "We're still not in the football shape we want to be in, though."

Caulley wasn't the only Connecticut player to suffer a setback. Reserve quarterback Jermell Williams will sit out the season as a medical redshirt after hurting his knee during the offseason, and fellow junior Brandon Young, a wide receiver, remained at his Morganza, Md., home after being involved in a car accident late last week.

Link:

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

I'm ready to DOMINATE them in Big East play  8)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

In what sport? Track and Field? I know you're not talking about football. Ah, must be basketball.

Either way, welcome to the Big East. We hope USF is the school everyone talks about when mentioning football powers from Florida.