• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Penalties

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Also, we have a reputation of being undisciplined.  Meaning refs look for calls to make.  UConn is reputedly very disciplined and has good fundamentals, refs not as nitpicky.  Why do the Raiders always have the most penalties in the NFL?

• Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

BJ:  I am not too worried about penalties, aside from the ones I mentioned in my post.  If you look at the penalty stats over the last 15 years, the vast majority of the teams that are in the top 10 in penalties have winning records.  Many of them are in the top 20.

All I care about is winning, and I cannot think of very many games that one could say we lost the game because of too many penalties.  However, over the years, I have seen a 'scary' number of posts from our own 'fans' who think we commit too many penalties whenever they perceive that our team has exceeded their personal penalty threshold.  And just like this thread, these posts seem to follow wins.

If you want to proclaim that we commit too many penalties, that is your right.  But I have just as much right to differ with your opinion.  That is why we have message boards.  When we start clearly losing games primarily because of too many penalties instead of turnovers, poor play or inferior talent, then I will begin to be concerned.

Normal

• Content Count:  16,473
  • Days Won:  43

I bet that you can pretty much go through all the penalties this year, and see that a lot of them were not legit penalties. How does Taurus Johnson get a late flag on pass interference when he was not even near the play??? I watched that a few times, and I just didnt see why they called that late flag. Also, the roughinh the kicker call was bogas as well. Didnt they see that Clebert was blocked into the kicker?? It should have not been called for roughing, maybe running into the kicker at best. Just terrible officiating this season. And USF should have been flagged though for the fair catch call by Murphy. It would have not been that big though because he caught it about the 3 yard line anyway. If I were on the coaching staff, I would send in every questionable penaltie to the BIG EAST office at the end of the year. Something needs to be done before we have the same thing happen next season.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Bad calls here and there do not justify being in at the top of the nation in penalties year in and year out.  As a GM once told me "it's not worth trying to count how many you got screwed on because whoever you are playing against counts just as many".  I do think we have had some really egregious calls this year, especially the infamous RU call which I believe turned our season into a downward spiral.  But the calls we are talking about make up 3, 4, maybe 5 calls.  That is not that many in the whole scheme of things and I can guarantee we have gotten the benefit of that many, the non-call on Murph that Bull Daly mentioned being only one of them.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I don't care how you look at it, 16 penalties for 144 yards is a joke.  Yeah it didn't matter in this game, because simply put Syracuse Sucks.  You can't tell me it wouldn't matter against a good team.  It is a concern and has been a concern for 5 years running, maybe longer.

Archived