• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Situation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

True.  Memphis, tho, plays both Marshall and SMU (a combined 2-15, 1-8), so I think The Tigers will make it.

They play UAB, not Marshall. Memphis has already played Marshall, and were lucky to beat them (though this was right after their player was killed, so I can forgive them for not being focused). Their other I-A wins were over Rice and Tulane, by a total of four points. Oh, and UCF beat them by five touchdowns. So there's plenty of reason to doubt Memphis' ability to get to 6-6, even against this kind of competition.

So that's my new favorite bowl scenario. I'm going to hope that Memphis and UTEP both fail to qualify and the PJC bowl becomes at large to invite an SEC team to face USF. If so, that game goes from depressing to pretty good. Because somebody in the SEC is going to end up 6-6 and left out of the SEC's eight-game hierarchy. And there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True.  Memphis, tho, plays both Marshall and SMU (a combined 2-15, 1-8), so I think The Tigers will make it.

They play UAB, not Marshall. Memphis has already played Marshall, and were lucky to beat them (though this was right after their player was killed, so I can forgive them for not being focused). Their other I-A wins were over Rice and Tulane, by a total of four points. Oh, and UCF beat them by five touchdowns. So there's plenty of reason to doubt Memphis' ability to get to 6-6, even against this kind of competition.

So that's my new favorite bowl scenario. I'm going to hope that Memphis and UTEP both fail to qualify and the PJC bowl becomes at large to invite an SEC team to face USF. If so, that game goes from depressing to pretty good. Because somebody in the SEC is going to end up 6-6 and left out of the SEC's eight-game hierarchy. And there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I stand corrected on Memphis.

However, I have to say that a 6-6 SEC team will have a significant problem getting at at-large invite anywhere.  As you may know, the NCAA rules say if a bowl has no more teams in its contracted conference, but there isa 7-5 or better team anywhere in I-A ... er, FBS... then the at-large 7-5 team has to be selected before an at-large 6-6 team.

This is why a 7-5 Northern Illinois team took the at-large slot at the Pointsettia Bowl last year, despite Kansas, Pitt, Arizona, or Washington State all at 6-6.

If I remember correctly, there was some talk last year or the year before of a conference trying to get its 6-6 teams into conference bowls and leaving one or more 7-5 teams out to be available for an at-large bid, but the NCAA strongly advised against it.

Also, for what it's worth, the PapaJohns.com bowl selects third in Conference USA.  So even if C-USA can't fill all of their slots, there will be a C-USA team in Birmingham.  The Texas Bowl selects 6th, and would be the open slot if Memphis is unable to win 6 games.

• Content Count:  4,642

i doubt we get anything unless we win out

Guest JulmisteForPrez

[table]

[tr][td]Team[/td][td]Conf. Rec.[/td][td]Overall Rec.[/td][td]Week 11[/td][td]Week 12[/td][td]Week 13[/td][td]Week 14[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Connecticut[/td][td]4-0[/td][td]8-1[/td][td]@ Cincy[/td][td]v 'Cuse[/td][td]@ WVU[/td][td]  [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]West Virginia[/td][td]2-1[/td][td]7-1[/td][td]v L'ville[/td][td]@ Cincy[/td][td]v U Conn[/td][td]v Pitt[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Cincinnati[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]7-2[/td][td]v U Conn[/td][td]v WVU[/td][td]@ 'Cuse[/td][td]  [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Louisville[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]5-4[/td][td]@ WVU[/td][td]@ USF[/td][td]  [/td][td]v Rutgers[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Pittsburgh[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]4-5[/td][td]  [/td][td]@ Rutgers[/td][td]v USF[/td][td]@ WVU[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Rutgers[/td][td]2-3[/td][td]5-4[/td][td]@ Army[/td][td]v Pitt[/td][td]  [/td][td]@ Lville[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]South Florida[/td][td]1-3[/td][td]6-3[/td][td]@ 'Cuse[/td][td]v L'ville[/td][td]@ Pitt[/td][td]  [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Syracuse[/td][td]1-3[/td][td]2-7[/td][td]v USF[/td][td]@ U Conn[/td][td]v Cincy[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][/table]

That's just a depressing thing to look at, right there.  :(

• Content Count:  1,260

[table]

[tr][td]Team[/td][td]Conf. Rec.[/td][td]Overall Rec.[/td][td]Week 11[/td][td]Week 12[/td][td]Week 13[/td][td]Week 14[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Connecticut[/td][td]4-0[/td][td]8-1[/td][td]@ Cincy[/td][td]v 'Cuse[/td][td]@ WVU[/td][td]  [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]West Virginia[/td][td]2-1[/td][td]7-1[/td][td]v L'ville[/td][td]@ Cincy[/td][td]v U Conn[/td][td]v Pitt[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Cincinnati[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]7-2[/td][td]v U Conn[/td][td]v WVU[/td][td]@ 'Cuse[/td][td]  [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Louisville[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]5-4[/td][td]@ WVU[/td][td]@ USF[/td][td]  [/td][td]v Rutgers[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Pittsburgh[/td][td]2-2[/td][td]4-5[/td][td]  [/td][td]@ Rutgers[/td][td]v USF[/td][td]@ WVU[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Rutgers[/td][td]2-3[/td][td]5-4[/td][td]@ Army[/td][td]v Pitt[/td][td]  [/td][td]@ Lville[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]South Florida[/td][td]1-3[/td][td]6-3[/td][td]@ 'Cuse[/td][td]v L'ville[/td][td]@ Pitt[/td][td]  [/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Syracuse[/td][td]1-3[/td][td]2-7[/td][td]v USF[/td][td]@ U Conn[/td][td]v Cincy[/td][td]  [/td][/tr][/table]

MAB, it's not just the record which is depressing...for the first time those last three games for us look daunting.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

[table]

MAB, it's not just the record which is depressing...for the first time those last three games for us look daunting.

True.....very true.

Archived