• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

boston selling off assets

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

as I predicted

they are throwing in towel

In a dizzying flurry of deals, the Boston Red Sox sent star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Chicago Cubs in a blockbuster, four-team swap right before Saturday's trade deadline.

Pack Your Bags  

Steve Finley, Esteban Loaiza and Orlando Cabrera also switched teams in the eight trades that came less than an hour before the 4PM ET limit for making deals without waivers.

Randy Johnson, however, remained with the Arizona Diamondbacks. The New York Yankees desperately wanted him, and instead wound up trading Jose Contreras to the Chicago White Sox for Loaiza in a swap of starting pitchers.

With more than 20 teams still in the playoff hunt, a lot of clubs were eager for action. AL West-leading Texas nearly got Larry Walker -- the Colorado slugger turned down a trade -- and Rockies catcher Charles Johnson nixed a deal to Los Angeles.

But those old October heartbreakers, the Red Sox and Cubs, got busy.

Garciaparra was already wearing his Boston jersey when manager Terry Francona called a team meeting before the game at Minnesota. Then, the news spread inside the clubhouse: The five-time All-Star shortstop and two-time AL batting champion was headed to the Cubs.

"My initial reaction was 'wow,''' Garciaparra said.

"If it was in my control, I'd still be wearing a Red Sox uniform, because it's the place I know, I love. All of those fans, I'll always remember. But I'm also going to another great place. I'm going to a phenomenal city with great tradition as well, phenomenal fans, great organization.''

And he added: "Hopefully, we'll see them in the World Series.''

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry was ecstatic to get Garciaparra, in the last year of his contract and the subject of trade rumors all year.

"I think he will bring a ton to the table and a presence on the field and off,'' Hendry said. "You never go to work thinking he's going to be available.''

Deadline Deals  

· Garciaparra Sent to Cubs

· Dodgers Trade for Finley

· Loaiza Dealt to Yankees

· Walker, C. Johnson Say No

· Marlins Bolster Pitching Staff

· Braves Add Martin to Bullpen

· Mets Ship Erickson to Rangers

· Mets Get Benson, Rays Ace

· L.A., Marlins Pull Off Big Trade

Garciaparra, 31, is batting .321 with five home runs and 21 RBI in 38 games this season. He missed the first 57 games of the season with an injured Achilles tendon.

The Red Sox wound up with Cabrera, Montreal's Gold Glove shortstop, and Minnesota first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, while the Cubs got Garciaparra and minor league outfielder Matt Murton.

Montreal acquired Cubs shortstop Alex Gonzalez, pitcher Francis Beltran and infielder Brendan Harris and the Twins got minor league pitcher Justin Jones.

"It was complicated -- so many teams,'' Twins GM Terry Ryan said. "I can see why things get bogged down. I don't know if deadlines are a good thing or not, we were real close.''

Johnson stayed put despite drawing interest from several teams. The five-time Cy Young winner had a no-trade clause in his contract.

"I wasn't shocked one way or the other. I didn't say I wanted to leave,'' he said before Arizona played at Colorado.

More on This Story  

· Cubs Fans Already Excited

"Nobody came to me about anything. No one has ever come to me. Nothing ever transpired. Nothing, if it was the Angels, nothing ever transpired with the Angels,'' he said. "And I never vetoed any trade.''

The NL West-leading Dodgers were active, making three trades a day after completing a six-player deal with Florida.

After Finley agreed to accept a deal to Los Angeles, the Diamondbacks traded the four-time Gold Glove center fielder with catcher Brent Mayne. The 39-year-old Finley hit .274 with 23 home runs and 48 RBI for Arizona.

"I want to thank the Diamondbacks for 5 1/2 years, probably the best 5 1/2 years of my playing career,'' Finley said. "We were successful and won a World Series. I'm thankful they've given me an opportunity to possibly win another ring.''

The Dodgers sent minor league catcher Koyie Hill, outfielder Reggie Abercrombie and left-hander Bill Murphy to Arizona. The Dodgers acquired Murphy on Friday in a trade with the Florida Marlins.

Broadband Only

Listen to home and away radio broadcasts for every baseball game on AOL For Broadband.  

Los Angeles then traded center fielder Dave Roberts to Boston for minor league outfielder Henri Stanley. Earlier, the Dodgers sent left-hander reliever Tom Martin to Atlanta for minor league lefty Matt Merricks in a trade between NL division leaders.

After getting shut out on Johnson, the AL East-leading Yankees swapped the inconsistent Contreras and $3 million for Loaiza, a 21-game winner last season.

Loaiza is 9-5 with a 4.86 ERA in 21 starts this year and made his second straight All-Star appearance. He is already signed for next season.

Contreras is 8-5 with a 5.64 ERA in 18 games this season. The top pitcher in Cuba when he defected, his up-and-down tendencies perplexed and frustrated the Yankees for two years.

"This one gained steam rather quickly. This deal started probably about 10:30 or 11 o'clock,'' Yankees GM Brian Cashman said.

"The deal was done, but the paperwork didn't go through until 3:59,'' he said. "That's when the fax went through -- and I have proof of that.''

Baseball Talk  

· Post a Message | Chat

· Top Sports Discussions  

In other trades:

-- Florida acquired starting pitcher Ismael Valdez and reliever Rudy Seanez. The World Series champions sent minor league pitcher Travis Chick to San Diego for Valdez and dealt outfielder Abraham Nunez to Kansas City for Seanez.

-- Texas got pitcher Scott Erickson and cash from the New York Mets for a player to be named.

Starting late Saturday afternoon, teams can still make trades, but it becomes a more tricky process. Players must pass through waivers -- meaning any other club can claim them -- before a deal.

Teams have until Aug. 31 to acquire players in order for them to be eligible for the postseason.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

yeah, right... Nomar was packing his bags anyway... this way we got 2 players instead of nothing... good deal if you ask me.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768

I agree that Boston needed to trade Nomah cause he was gone at the end of the year, but VG, as a BoSox fan you have to be disappointed in what the Sox got in return. Better defense, maybe, but 2 sub .250 hitters?  The Dodgers were obviously looking for more offense, they couldnt get a better deal there, or anywhere for that matter?  With Texas and Oakland playing good ball, the BoSox are going to be pressed just to make it in with the wild card. I dont see this trade helping that matter much.

I am disappointed there wasn't a starting pitcher involved... as the rumor said it may be Matt Clement.  But defense was our weak point, and it certainly helps to get 2 gold glove winners.

poor vg- i do feel bad for you

you had such hope

will the redsox win again this year

my hope is just as high as any point this year... just wait.

You should be rooting for the sox, if you think they are so weak, you shoudl hope they knock the strong yankees out of the WS  ;D

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think Boston did that badly. Mientkiewicz and Cabrera are young, determined players who will continue to get better. Cabrera really wanted out of Montreal and he will be well-motivated to join a team in the playoff race. Though I think the move may pay more dividends for the Red Sox in 2005 and later than it does now.

it can't do anything but positive for next year, as nomar was out the door running... 2 players instead of 0.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

it can't do anything but positive for next year, as nomar was out the door running... 2 players instead of 0.

Sox will be putting three former gold glove winners in their startuing infield which will ,make the pitchers MUCH better. Lowe will be ten times the pitcher he has been. Nomar was going through the motions but his heart and head were not in the game. Cabrera batter .297 last year and has some pop. he has never been in a real lineup so watch him get much better at the plate.   Mienkiewick batted .300 last year. These guys are above average fielders who can hit. Both have struggled at the plate this year but if you go by that then why take Nomar who missed 57 games with a sore acchiles that was going to keep him out of one week of spring training.