• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mel Kiper on Jenkins, Williams and Grothe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17666

He answers two questions about USF:

Tom - Red Bank NJ: Almost every USF article I read says that their two corners will be playing on Sundays next year. What are people basing this on? Have they actually done anything special this year?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:02 PM ET ) Both of them are outstanding players, Trae Williams is a great run support corner, while Jenkins is a bigger corner who can match up against physically gifted receivers. That's the best cornerback tandem in college football. Mike Jenkins has a chance to be a first rounder, while Williams has a chance to be a second-rounder.

Brian (Seattle): Mel, who's your Hiesman front runner right now???

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:59 PM ET ) My Heisman front-runner is Matt Ryan, and I put a guy second who no one else had in their top 5--Matt Grothe from USF. He's a young kid, not a veteran, but you talk about MVPs--where would USF be without Matt Grothe? He had a huge game against a good team this week. Tough kid, great poise and confidence. South Florida is ranked second in the country, and nobody found reason to put him in the top 5? We'll see how he does in their national game this week against Rutgers. I had Tebow second, Hart fourth, and Dixon fifth. I will reserve judgment on Woodson depending on how he does against Florida this week. McFadden dropped out, but he has to be the MVP of a team that does well. To me, it's not about who the best player is, it's who the true MVP is. Where would BC be without Matt Ryan, or Florida without Tebow? Those are the things I look at.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

That guy from New Jersey asks, "Have they actually done anything special this year?"

No dude, not this year..........for the last FOUR years.

::)

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

He's just nervous that we will be able to stack the box against Rice.

• Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

He's just nervous that we will be able to stack the box against Rice.

Yep.  Ah I can't wait for this game.

• Content Count:  56
  • Days Won:  0

was just trying to bait him into a positive comment. seemed to work ok.  "That's the best cornerback tandem in college football."

• Content Count:  21,142
  • Days Won:  39

was just trying to bait him into a positive comment. seemed to work ok.  "That's the best cornerback tandem in college football."

Hehe, it was a trick?  Nice.

Also, it is cool that Grothe is getting props.  It seems like a given around here because we see him week in and week out, but it will be neat once more people have seen him play more than a game here and there.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Hehe, it was a trick?  Nice.

Also, it is cool that Grothe is getting props.  It seems like a given around here because we see him week in and week out, but it will be neat once more people have seen him play more than a game here and there.

Ahhhhhhhhh................well done, sir!

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Grothe's numbers are very good, but they don't stand out as overly impressive, so national media will overlook him.

he doesn't have Woodson or Ryan passing stats, Tebow-esque rushing numbers, or an abundance of TDs.

but what he brings with intangibles is more impressive and more important than any of that. his leadership, will to win and uncanny ability to evade tackles and turn broken plays into huge gains are things that can't always be measured statistically or appreciated on paper, but anyone that has seen him play live knows the quality of player he is.

plus he doesn't cry into his jersey like Tim Teabag.  lmao.

• Content Count:  39

From his chat today on ESPN.com

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17666

Tom - Red Bank NJ: Almost every USF article I read says that their two corners will be playing on Sundays next year. What are people basing this on? Have they actually done anything special this year?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: Both of them are outstanding players, Trae Williams is a great run support corner, while Jenkins is a bigger corner who can match up against physically gifted receivers. That's the best cornerback tandem in college football. Mike Jenkins has a chance to be a first rounder, while Williams has a chance to be a second-rounder.

• Content Count:  39

...and Grothe too!

Brian (Seattle): Mel, who's your Hiesman front runner right now???

SportsNation Mel Kiper: My Heisman front-runner is Matt Ryan, and I put a guy second who no one else had in their top 5--Matt Grothe from USF. He's a young kid, not a veteran, but you talk about MVPs--where would USF be without Matt Grothe? He had a huge game against a good team this week. Tough kid, great poise and confidence. South Florida is ranked second in the country, and nobody found reason to put him in the top 5? We'll see how he does in their national game this week against Rutgers. I had Tebow second, Hart fourth, and Dixon fifth. I will reserve judgment on Woodson depending on how he does against Florida this week. McFadden dropped out, but he has to be the MVP of a team that does well. To me, it's not about who the best player is, it's who the true MVP is. Where would BC be without Matt Ryan, or Florida without Tebow? Those are the things I look at.

Archived