• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why USF is the University of South Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

It's important to note that demographically, most of south Florida wasn't populated, or was isolated to Miami which, in the 1950s, was almost all transient tourists and was just starting to absorb the flood of immigration. Everything else south of Gainesville was army/navy/AF bases. Tampa was *the city* in the peninsular portion of Florida, so it seems as reasonable to call Tampa "south Florida" as it is to call Los Angeles "southern California" despite there now being a major city far to the south of LA.

Placed in its historical perspective it's easy to see how Tampa was seen as part of "south Florida." Much like Ohio is part of the "midwest" simply because when it gained that quality, there wasn't really much out in the West. Now there is, but the terminology remains.

UUUH, what ^ he said.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  1,231

Who cares? We are what we are and it is up to us to make a name out of it. I remember some guy named Babe who might not have had the best name of the lot.

Who cares? We are what we are and it is up to us to make a name out of it. I remember some guy named Babe who might not have had the best name of the lot.

"Babe"? Was that the blue one , the one on the farm or the baseball player? :D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  1,231

Mr. Ruth

Mr. Ruth

Oh yeah, I forgot about the candy bar or is that Dr. Ruth's husband? Having a hard time clicking here. The tumblers are turning but I'm just not registering.  ;D

• Content Count:  178

Technically, Tampa is in South Florida...for anyone north of Tampa!

Here is the official explaination from the USF site:

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/history/struggles.html

I think this thread should be pinned up top, at least until the end of football season...it might keep down the number of "Tampa is not in South Florida" type comments/questions.

Archived