• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WTF?? WTF?? WTF??  NOMAR A CUBBIE??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502
  • Days Won:  0

Garciaparra could land with Cubs  

Ken Rosenthal /  

Posted: 28 minutes ago    

FROM FOX SPORTS

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein, intent on changing his team's clubhouse culture, could make a series of moves to jolt his club, according to a major-league executive.

Confirming a report in Wednesday's Boston Globe, the executive says the Sox are "working on" a trade that would send shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs for righthander Matt Clement and also have talked about dealing righthander Derek Lowe to the Padres in a deal that could land them center fielder Jay Payton.

But the Garciaparra trade is "less close than it has been," according to a source with knowledge of the negotiations, who says the Red Sox are waffling.

The Red Sox's offense would suffer without Garciaparra, particularly since the team already is missing right fielder Trot Nixon, who is sidelined with a strained left quadriceps. But the Sox went 35-24 when Garciaparra and Nixon were on the disabled list earlier this season, and Epstein could make another deal  possibly for a first baseman  to improve the team's run production. Center fielder Johnny Damon is another player the Sox would consider moving.

The Cubs resisted trading Clement due to physical questions surrounding righthanders Kerry Wood and Mark Prior, but their rotation is the healthiest it has been all season. Wood, Prior, Carlos Zambrano and Greg Maddux still would form an impressive front four, and lefthander Glendon Rusch could take over the fifth spot. The addition of Garciaparra could make the risk worthwhile.

The Sox and Padres first talked about Lowe in early June. The price for Lowe almost certainly would involve more than Payton, and a deal remains possible even if the Padres don't acquire Diamondbacks center fielder Steve Finley. Without Payton, the Padres could go with a platoon of Terrence Long and Xavier Nady in center field or even promote Class AAA OF Freddy Guzman.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

That rumor has been swirling for a bit.  If and when it happens, I'll believe it.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think its going to happen at this point.  I think Theo is planning on sticking with what we have, maybe bringing in a role player.  I don't think you will see any big moves by the sox before the trade deadline... but you MAY see something during Waivers, such as Larry Walker coming over to play RF and 1st... since trot may be done for the season.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464

I think sox will make some moves and I do think nomar will be sent packing.  The guy looks heartless on the field and I think trading him would lift the clubhouse and he is leaving at end of year for sure so why not get something for him.  I see sox picking up a decent OF but I doubt it will be walker and they have to get another starting pitcher which may be kris benson too. I like clement and think he would help a lot more then benson.

benson won't be in a sox uni... the pirates want too much for him.

Clement could be, but i don't see any other starter that could possibly make an impact that would be worth bothering with, especially since Lowe is actually pitching better now.

benson won't be in a sox uni... the pirates want too much for him.

Clement could be, but i don't see any other starter that could possibly make an impact that would be worth bothering with, especially since Lowe is actually pitching better now.

Everytime I say Lowe seems to be pitching better he tosses a huge stinker.  Lowe has is 3-1 in his last 4 starts with a 3.86 era.  In his last 6 starts he is 3-3 with a 6.34 era. Two ugly starts prior to his last 4.  Also in his last 4 starts he has given up 8 unerarned runs along with the 10 earned runs. He is pitching better but being a sinker ball pitcher he needs some defense behind him which he has little of.

Right, he needs defense... can't blame him for it!  If he had good defense behind him, add at least 2 wins under his belt, he'd have more wins than Pedro, and 1 less than schilling, but then, Lowe isn't the only one that has been screwed by the horrible defense.

Right, he needs defense... can't blame him for it!  If he had good defense behind him, add at least 2 wins under his belt, he'd have more wins than Pedro, and 1 less than schilling, but then, Lowe isn't the only one that has been screwed by the horrible defense.

I think as Sox fans we can expect a player to lead the league in stolen bases or the team to lead the league in sacrifice bunts before we ever lead the league in any defensive categories.  ::triggerhappy::

i know lowe hasn't pitched stellar, but you can't hold nomar's .950 fielding pct against Lowe, or Reese's .960 (way sub par for him), or dominiques aweful first base performance... i can go on and on... the team's defense stinks, and it makes lowe worse than he is... when the defense is decent or better, lowe wins games.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Nomar has never been the same since that wrist injury he suffered two years ago.