• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Playcalling on offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

Not trying to be negative, but does anyone else think our playcalling is leading us to greatly underachieve on offense?

The 2nd half today was much better. We saw we could pound it through them and we did. But the playcalling in the passing game and the first half in general is really not looking very good right now.

I keep telling myself that we're trying to keep our good plays for later when we really need them, but every close call that goes by I start wondering more and more... It just seems we run the same plays all the time, and we are not able to quickly figure out ways to beat the defense... I definitely think we have more talent on our offense then is being displayed on a weekly basis.

It hasn't hurt us yet, but with FAU kind of exposing a chink in our armor on D, it's only a matter of time before we get in a shootout (maybe Louisville, maybe Rutgers, maybe UCF even).

I am just wondering if anyone has any explanations or concerns regarding this...

• Content Count:  21,064
  • Days Won:  38

I have no explanations but I definitely have concerns regarding this.  I personally missed Ford in this game.  The double reverse was a lowlight of the game for me.

• Content Count:  635

i liked the playcalling in the 2nd half, mainly because we basically never threw the ball, which is good, because our receivers were ******* awful today. just pitiful. i was happy to see Grothe and Williams just tote the pill, because that was the only way we had a shot at winning the game. so really, despite the play in the first half, our offense won the game for us. plain and simple.

• Content Count:  21,064
  • Days Won:  38

i liked the playcalling in the 2nd half, mainly because we basically never threw the ball, which is good, because our receivers were ******* awful today. just pitiful. i was happy to see Grothe and Williams just tote the pill, because that was the only way we had a shot at winning the game. so really, despite the play in the first half, our offense won the game for us. plain and simple.

I was thinking that without Ford we basically had the same offensive plan we had last year.  Run Grothe or Williams.  Of course, it didn't have to be that way but I saw crappy drops and Grothe missing some throws.

• Content Count:  10,219

we should have started the game running the ball to set up playaction... the O seems lost

• Content Count:  72

The "O"...brilliant in flashes but scary in general.  It's so frustrating to watch these guys, at least last year they had an identity even if it was Grothe left, Grothe right, Grothe up the middle.  Any win is a good win, but the team that showed up tonight can't show up again.

• Content Count:  136

One thing I forgot to add strategy-wise...

I think most people can see that Grothe is not really an accurate pocket-passer... But on the move he is a very good passer and obviously with his legs the defenders have to eye the QB and give the WRs a little more space... We don't seem to have many planned rollout passes for Grothe in the playbook though, and that's really his strength as a passer right now... I'd like to see something along those lines established.

• Content Count:  431

I am definitely concerned. I wanted to give it a few games before I said anything. We have improved our running game slightly, but our passing game seems to have gotten significantly worse. We cannot continue to be satisfied with short passes and running. Unless we change things I believe we will run across a defense that has our number and will shut us down completely. If we only go for a couple long/med passes a game, no experience or confidence will be gained in making these passes. One of the few, if not the only one we made - I can't remember any others, was on that broken play against WV where Grothe made the decision and was able to find an open receiver for the TD.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Grothe and his receivers really need to get on the same page.  If they click (he throws better and they catch better), then watch out world.  If not, it will be big trouble for us, sooner rather than later.

Archived