• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lake Wales kicker commits

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

USF continues to make special teams a priority in its recruiting efforts, picking up their 11th commitment of the season on Wednesday from Lake Wales kicker Maikon Bonani.

"He's the best kicker I've ever been around," Lake Wales coach Rod Shafer said. "When we cross the 50, we feel like we're in field goal range. He hit a 57-yarder last year against Sarasota Booker, and he hits one from 62 every day in practice."

Bonani, a first-team all-state selection last season, gives USF two commitments from kickers, along with Winter Springs punter Justin Brockhaus-Kann. Bonani was being recruited by Michigan and Alabama and had an offer from Central Florida before committed to the Bulls on Wednesday.

Shafer said Bonani should be Lake Wales' valedictorian this spring, with a 4.25 grade-point average. "Never had a B," said Shafer, noting that Bonani is also Lake Wales' top tennis and soccer player as well.

Bonani was born in Brazil, where his father played soccer professionally, and he didn't start playing American football until he was a sophomore at Lake Wales. Bonani averages 43 yards on punts this season and consistently puts kickoffs into the end zone. His dream had been to play at Florida, but Shafer said the Gators only have 17 scholarships available and already had a kicker committed.

With the addition of Bonani and Brockhaus-Kann, USF will have four kickers or punters on scholarship next season, joining returning kickers Delbert Alvarado and Justin Teachey.

Posted by Greg Auman at 10:06:42 AM on October 4, 2007 | Permalink | Comments (12)

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Y'know... with those kind of grades, he should have a 100% scholarship from Bright Futures. Hmm...

Best case scenario.  I know, I was in his shoes.  Had the FL Academic, then the LEadership scholly from USF (full ride) and then a small one from the Honors Program ($400 a semester).  Add all of those up and it made working OPTIONAL so I could concentrate on school and other stuff.

Trust me, you'd rather have a guy with multiple schollies than having to bust his butt to make ends meet bc that means more time to practice and less stress.  All good things when it comes to having a guy out there with the game on the line!  We'd be in a better position if we could get more "double dippers" and it helps limit those "booster problems" you see all the time in college football...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

:ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

His commitmant is like "pouring salt in an open wound", "ouch" the Tide is changing, more like riiptide!   

Archived