• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NHL Playoffs > NBA Playoffs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

You obviously don't remember or know much about when basketball was a lot better than this.  If you like the amount of bball IQ and technical nuances that you see in today's game, you would have loved it then.  And you must love watching European teams handle the U.S. in every international competition....er...technical clinic.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I will take out the exaggerations that I placed into my first post that you took so literally.

1.  My opinion is that pro basketball, the way that it is played today, is, in general much less fundamentally sound and team-oriented, and thus, I personally don't like to watch it (and I'm obviously not alone in thinking this way).

2.  It is my opinion that international competition, playing a more fundamentally sound brand of basketball, has nearly, if not completely, caught up to the competition we have here at home, which is a shame.

3.  I am inclined to think that Red Auerbach would agree with my general points above, being that he emphasized team play and a win-at-all-costs attitude.

4.  I guarantee 10 out of 10 hitting the rim from NBA 3.   ;)

• Content Count:  1,911

No, you obviously dont appreciate the evolution of the game. Players are better now, you have zero idea of how hard it is to make it in the nba today.   They dont care where or what you did in college, they dont even care if you come off of Rucker park (rafer alston), if you can play YOU make it. Then you get seriously paid because you are better than all that competition for those few limited roster spots on a 12 man team.  FYI I have a friend i grew up with in ny who played college hockey, he was probably one of the lesser athletes of all my friends, even the dirtbags,   Half the players in the nba in the 80s would not make a roster today.  But, Ive watched nba since i was about 6 years old.  I know all about Magic vs Bird, all about Stockton and malone vs KJ and Barkely.  All about the PIstons vs the Bulls.  No "game" or rivalries will ever compare to those days, even if the players are better. Those and the MJ days were the richest days for the nba ever, but it does not mean the nba is all about a buch of thugs running around dunking and shooting 3's.  That is so disrespectful to how hard these guys work and how much more difficult it is for them than any other pro athlete to make that league. ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE.  

also, you cant compare anything to those sorry as international competitions we play.  

We choose the worst guys to play in those leagues.  We have Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Lebron, Vince Carter, TMAc, etc.  not one of those guys know how to be anyhing but the #1 on their team.  Its like making an all pro football team with McNabb, Brady, Brees and Manning.  All 4 guys are great but they have the same role.  The USA committe has it backwards not our players.  I can field about 20 different teams from usa players that would beat any national team by double figures every night.  

Jason Kidd

Kobe (would be our #1)

Bruce Bowen/lebron

Tim Duncan (from the bahamas, so could replace him with garnett, brand or boozer)

Amare Stoudemire/marcus camby

to name one starting 5 that would never lose

not one team would beat them, i can make a case with about 100 starting 5's that would never get beat outside our country.  Every team needs a #1 scorer, not one team needs 8.  Thats why we dont play well in those competitions.  

anyway back to the topic of this thread.   If you think the hockey playoffs are better than the nba playoffs, you need to turn off channel 74 and the versus network and put on good old fashioned espn, tnt, or abc to watch what the majority of the world wants to watch in may and early june.  Who is even left in Hockey, when i watch it, its just to watch a sporting event, I know nothing about it because I would have to find the information instead of it being displyed to me every night on sportscenter, nba pre and post games, and nba fastbreak on espn.  Where do they go over hockey?? oh yea about 40 minutes into a sportscenter episode.  When i see Barry Melrose i know its time to change the channel, i'd rather watch MTV.   ;)

I will take out the exaggerations that I placed into my first post that you took so literally.

1.  My opinion is that pro basketball, the way that it is played today, is, in general much less fundamentally sound and team-oriented, and thus, I personally don't like to watch it (and I'm obviously not alone in thinking this way).

2.  It is my opinion that international competition, playing a more fundamentally sound brand of basketball, has nearly, if not completely, caught up to the competition we have here at home, which is a shame.

3.  I am inclined to think that Red Auerbach would agree with my general points above, being that he emphasized team play and a win-at-all-costs attitude.

4.  I guarantee 10 out of 10 hitting the rim from NBA 3.   ;)

I get your point, i really know the nba doesnt have the audience it used to.  But for the true fans of it, we realize how great of a game it is.  I mean watching steve nash, deron williams, J Kidd run the point is old school nba.

My point is the nba is not like the stereotype you point out if you watch the suns, spurs, jazz, nets, basically all the good teams.  

but if you watch the wizards, hawks, denver, Lakers, your point is right.  Its very one on one with the best player driving the lane the whole time.  Thats why those teams are never around in May and June.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,650
  • Days Won:  424

[highlight]I know nothing about it because I would have to find the information instead of it being displyed to me every night on sportscenter[/highlight], nba pre and post games, and nba fastbreak on espn.  Where do they go over hockey?? oh yea about 40 minutes into a sportscenter episode.  When i see Barry Melrose i know its time to change the channel, [highlight]i'd rather watch MTV[/highlight].   ;)

Can't you see how pathetically sad that is?? I figured you for more cerebral than that ....

Trip that part was a joke, if you couldnt tell.  I always go by intellect over emotion, thats why I dont talk hockey or sports like nascar.  I was stereotyping the game of hockey like some stereotype the nba.  To say either game is just some guys dunking or some canadiens skating around fighting eachtother is wrong.  We both know avid watchers of each sport could put up a case for either sport.  

But if you want to go by numbers you can say hockey has lost a lot more interest by the fact they play on a no name station and they get the cold shoulder treatment from espn and sportscenter.  thats all.  

Trip that part was a joke, if you couldnt tell.  [highlight]I always go by intellect over emotion, thats why I dont talk hockey or sports like nascar[/highlight].

That part must be a joke, too ...... It would seem you're attaching some sort of intellect to the NBA and that's pretty **** funny.

It's all in personal preference ..... but I just don't buy the argument that just because something has more tv viewers or whatever that it is "better".... more popular, maybe.

you are right it is personal preference.  Some people like to watch badmitton some like to watch hockey.  You can catch them both on the versus network.  

• Content Count:  549

How wise.

you are right it is personal preference.  [highlight]Some people like to watch badmitton some like to watch hockey. [/highlight] You can catch them both on the versus network.  

Another perfect example ..... Badminton > NBA.

Archived