• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football getting over the hump in 07

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  261
  • Days Won:  0

After reading the ESPN article on WVU's Slaton and White, I noticed that USF's name was peppered throughout the comment section regarding how USF was LUCKY to win that game at WVU last year. I simply added that it was not luck, but the play of a strong defense coupled with our O taking advantage of the TOs. Some guy did make a valid point (as much as I want to disagree with him)...........

"South Florida came to play that day and West Virginia didn't. Simple as that. South Florida played about as good as they could have on the road, and West Virginia thought they'd win by just jogging out onto the field. South Florida has pulled 2 major upsets in the past 2 years, but they've also had a few losses to less-than-good teams as well. Come on South Florida. Losing to Kansas who was 6-6 and 3-5 in the weak Big 12? Getting stomped by Cincy? (I know Cincy was pretty decent this year, but it's not like they were even flirting with the rankings. They weren't THAT good.) How about last year. Losing to friggin' Connecticut? Come on. Losing to a Pitt team that wasn't even in a bowl? Come on. Or getting blanked by NC State? BLANKED? Come ON. South Florida has pulled a few upsets, but that's exactly what they were. Upsets. We call them upsets because the team that's truly better didn't prevail. South Florida seems to be on the rise, which is good for the Big East, but let's not blow artificial smoke up their rear ends. South Florida is a decent team that could very well break into the rankings this year. Until that happens, though, I'd say Bull fans need to tone down the rhetoric. You have a decent team, but truly there's nothing to be cocky about. Try to at least break into the rankings or even finish 2nd in the Big East before you tell everybody how great your team is."

http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=2800705

He's right. If we want respect, we must beat marginal teams. But I think we already know this.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Surely we know this, but on that same note, if he is calling us a marginal team... his team lost to a marginal team, at home.  

So I guess he is blowing smoke up his own a$$.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  738

At least this guy knows what he is talking about, whether you agree or disagree with him

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  69

Surely we know this, but on that same note, if he is calling us a marginal team... his team lost to a marginal team, at home.  

So I guess he is blowing smoke up his own a$$.

tu quoque

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038

What a tool.

• Topic Count:  2,341
  • Content Count:  21,355
  • Days Won:  10

That is USF issue we need to not loose to marginal teams and fine loose to good teams and occasionally beat the good teams.  Consistency

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  69

We do have a distinct problem with consistency though, I'm definitely willing to admit that. A good team doesn't lose to teams it should beat all the time, just look to kansas or cinci.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I hope a lot of people look on the surface and only at the records from last year.  Can't really argue about the losses in 2005, but anyone that knows anything about USF football knows how we continued to mature each week.  

Let's not forget, Grothe was playing in his first away game and we were missing 3 starters vs. Kansas.  Much different team  later in the year.  Who cares about 2005?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

it is hard not to agree with this guy...he does know USF pretty well, he is not just spouting off.

gotta respect his opinion and he is not that far off.

he probably knows that we have been a qb short of being really good the last 3 years...grothe has changed that.

so i would expect consistancy (beat the teams you should) and some upsets this will get us ranked

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

At least this guy knows what he is talking about, whether you agree or disagree with him

That's true, the words annoy me, but he at least managed to get our opponents right in his argument :o.  I'm more used to idiots...even those who live in Tampa...who assume USF sucks, and when asked what our record is, don't know!  I've had a good bit of fun with FSU/Miami fans that fall into this category in the past year...wonder why  ;D.