• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pelphrey says No Thanks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

It's comical how people think USF is this "awful" job.  Its the Big East, its in Florida, its one of ten biggest schools in the country.  You get a shot at Boehiem, Calhoun, Pitino, John Thompson..

You are coaching in the premier basketball conference.

give me a break..

I never Liked this guy anyways..

Somebody is going to win at USF...  Just like someone was eventually going to win at Rutgers in football.  And when they do win -- they are going to be national big time..

-----------

Pelphrey out of USF mix

Posted By Brett McMurphy at Mar 22, 2007 at 03:36 PM

Updated Mar 22, 2007 at 04:04 PM

Word leaked Wednesday that South Alabama’s John Pelphrey was no longer interested in pursuing the University of South Florida job. After The Tampa Tribune reported Thursday that Pelphrey did not receive a job offer, CBSSportsline.com confirmed Pelphrey was no longer interested in the USF job.

And that was before the Kentucky job opened Thursday afternoon when Tubby Smith bolted for Minnesota.

With Pelphrey out of the USF mix, the only candidates that have interviewed are Winthrop’s Gregg Marshall, the clear front-runner, and former Virginia coach Pete Gillen.

On Thursday, Pelphrey confirmed what the Tampa Tribune reported Monday, about a meeting with USF AD Doug Woolard Saturday in Atlanta. Through the school’s sports information office, Pelphrey said: “I have met informally with South Florida about their opening,†Pelphrey said. “That’s where we stand right now.â€Â

A former University of Kentucky standout, Pelphrey obviously will go all out for the UK job. Another USF target and former UK star - UMass’ Travis Ford - canceled a visit to Tampa on Monday and indicated he wasn’t interested in the USF job. He also will have a great deal of interest in UK - as will 20 percent of all the Division I coaches.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I don't think he was ever offered the job to turn it down.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No, but he was in the mix. I kinda grew on him.

Lets hope we get Marshall.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

I'm happy he says no thanks, he wasn't really a person I could see as turning this program around anyways

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

I read that article as saying Pelphrey was told 'no thanks', not the other way around.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Good, he's so overrated & hasn't done anything. I hope KU does hire him and go down the flusher.

Garbage...ya. Your basing that on what?

He wasn't my 1st choice, but had grown on me. I wouldn't have minded hiring him.

Marshall would be great. I really hope it happens.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

I like Gillien because he wants the job...

He feels like he has something to prove.

i like that in a coach.

• Topic Count:  1,103
  • Content Count:  1,741

Just MY opinion, but I do not think USF will be able to bring in an established D-1a coach even though the BULLS are in the Big East.  The reason lack of fan support and the amount USF is willing or able to PAY.  The best bet seems to be on an up and coming assistant like, (Haith in Miami)  or a coach in a lower league, such as Pelphrey.