• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bball Bulls: offer up 3 names for coaches & why.

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

My realistic list:

1. Karl Hobs - George Washington - Young and has been associated with the Big East before.  He would probably love to battle UConn.

2. Chris Lowery - So Illinios - Young and ready to build a career in a top conference

3. Scott Sutton - Oral Robers - see a trend....another young hard worker

4. Jeff Bzdelik - Air Force - very experiened.  Great X & O's but probably wants to go back to the NBA.

5. Best available coach fired after a first round loss in this year's NCAA's

Omni, I know you go to every game (or close to every game)...what's your feeling on the reception of another young hard working coach at this juncture of our program?  Do you think any of these guys would have enough to timely correct the W-L problems and get people to care?  Would we be setting a young guy up for failure?  I'm curious what it would take to get all the lower section ticket-holding no-shows to get excited about Bulls Basketball.  I just don't see how one of these guys will do it - but then, maybe nobody can.

Lastly, who might surface out of #5?   :D

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Random 2 guys...

**** Vitale! (The guy is always in the tampa-sarasota area...and regardless of coaching success would give the program a higher profile instantly!)  ;) This would probably take some serious cash based on what ESPN is probably paying...but who knows? maybe we get the hometwon discount?

Richard Schmidt - who? He's been the head coach over at the university of tampa for about 25 years. He's very familiar with the area and has always run a successful program (winning seasons in 22 of 23 years). He was voted South Region Coach-of-the-Year following the 1985-86 season and was named the Sunshine State Conference Coach-of-the-Year in 1986, 1989, 1990, 1993, 2000, and 2002. Has a record of  485-196 (.712) as HC there. :ohttp://tampaspartans.athleticsite.com/profile.asp?playerID=142

I doubt either is realistic given their ages...but why not just throw names out there.

How about 2 UF assistants Larry Shyatt or Donnie Jones. Shyatt has had some success as a former HC at both Clemson and Wymoning. Jones is their associate head and been an assistant for almost 20 years where he is supposed to be a key recruiter. Both are obviously in a successful program that is within the state and might bring some of that program's success and buzz with them.

http://www.gatorzone.com/billydonovan/?sub=staff&bio=shyatt

http://www.gatorzone.com/billydonovan/?sub=staff&bio=jones

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Enough with the homer pics. We're not going to sign a D2 coach just because he coaches here in town. W're in the best **** conference in college basketball. I know our record stinks, but raise your standards.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

Enough with the homer pics. We're not going to sign a D2 coach just because he coaches here in town. W're in the best **** conference in college basketball. I know our record stinks, but raise your standards.

Just tossing out names, (Because Matt Daugherty and Steve Lavin are SO much more realistic, right? ) RELAX.  ::)

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16

Dickie V ..... I'm with da Bulls BABY!!!!

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Bulliever - I don't know who could energize our apathetic boosters.  They would find a reason to not attend a game if we had Coach K from Duke.

My realistic list was who I thought was the best buy for $500k.  I have no idea what we can or cannot affor to pay but $500k seemed reasonable for a young up and coming coach.

I think these guys would work their a$$es off and put a good product on the floor.  Winning gets people to show up.  If we can get back above .500 next year with a new coach I think people show up.

I think a new coach, especially a young one, gets 4-5 years just like McCullum gets to prove he can get the ship on track.

My personal opinion is we need to scrap together every dime we can find and hire Calapari away from Memphis and lock him up to a 10+ year deal.  He's the total package for a BBall coach......not old, national name, great recruiter and an above average X and O guy who hasn't been caught cheating.  However, I doubt there is any way we can get the more than $1.5 million per year we would need.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Bulliever - I don't know who could energize our apathetic boosters.  They would find a reason to not attend a game if we had Coach K from Duke.

My realistic list was who I thought was the best buy for $500k.  I have no idea what we can or cannot affor to pay but $500k seemed reasonable for a young up and coming coach.

I think these guys would work their a$$es off and put a good product on the floor.  Winning gets people to show up.  If we can get back above .500 next year with a new coach I think people show up.

I think a new coach, especially a young one, gets 4-5 years just like McCullum gets to prove he can get the ship on track.

My personal opinion is we need to scrap together every dime we can find and hire Calapari away from Memphis and lock him up to a 10+ year deal.  He's the total package for a BBall coach......not old, national name, great recruiter and an above average X and O guy who hasn't been caught cheating.  However, I doubt there is any way we can get the more than $1.5 million per year we would need.

If we can't get Calipari, I say we get his good buddy, John Chaney, out of retirement.

"I'll kill ya!!"

060907_chaney_275.jpg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I was thinking Calipari the last few days - but I didn't mention because of $$.  But wouldn't he love to get out of C-DOA and coach in a real league?  Or maybe he likes the C-DOA automatic berth every year...

That is star power right there.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

I was thinking Calipari the last few days - but I didn't mention because of $$.  But wouldn't he love to get out of C-DOA and coach in a real league?  Or maybe he likes the C-DOA automatic berth every year...

I was thinking the same thing.  Every time i look at conference usa i swear it gets worse and worse every time.  He has to hate hearing you dont play anyone all day.  May be some wishful thinking but that would be great.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

I was thinking the same thing.  Every time i look at conference usa i swear it gets worse and worse every time.  He has to hate hearing you dont play anyone all day.  May be some wishful thinking but that would be great.  

Of all the outrageous names thrown out so far, I actually didn't laugh out loud at this one. You'd think he'd be ripe for the taking for SOMEBODY considering his curent abyssmal conference situation but there's no way we could swing the salary...