• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bball Bulls: offer up 3 names for coaches & why.

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Who did we beat in the NIT since we allegedly joined "major" college basketball? Seth was one and done both times.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  137
  • Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

You're right.  My fault.... the latest win we have in the NIT was the Elite Eight in '95, where we lost to Marquette under Paschal.  We joined C-USA that Fall.  

Whoops.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,086
  • Days Won:  469

So you're saying Roy Williams is out of the question?   ;)

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

My money is on Bobby Lutz.

Not sure if anyone caught that yet.

OK I can't take this anymore...

We're not hiring one of the best coaches in college basketball who's father built the program, who grew up as a ball boy for the team, and who's set to double his salary in DC, to come to a competing Big East school.  That's setting us up for failure when we do make a hire, and a ridiculous proposition.  

Let's be clear about a few things here:

Only one person who has ever coached this program has coached another college basketball game in his career after leaving USF (Seth Greenberg).  He's a [highlight]four[/highlight] seed this weekend, but [highlight]before today was the longest-tenured coach in D-1 without an NCAA appearance, the majority of that tenure with us[/highlight].  And it's not because he can't coach.  

Since we moved to "major" conference basketball in 1995 (and I count the old C-USA as a major league, as constituted it certainly was), we've finished in the top half our our league twice, and never in the top third.  We have appeared in a conference tournament semifinal once (2004 in Memphis).  We've appeared in two NIT's, with one win.  

We're not getting a currently winning high major coach to step into this situation.  Why would one?  The ravenous basketball fanbase we have?  The outstanding facilities?  The deep and storied tradition?  The great way this area supports college basketball (worst attendance for an ACC Tournament ever this weekend)?  The buckets of money we're able to throw at a potential coach?  

I don't know what some of you are thinking here, but I would encourage you to be realistic.  The assets of great weather and the opportunity to build something without the media microscope in a major conference are for sure assets.  The patience of the fan base, by the indications of this board and the way our previous coach was treated, certainly aren't.  

We will get a good coach, and I look forward to seeing who it is.  I don't mind guessing as to whom it might be, as I'm doing the same.  But to paraphrase a current Big East coach during his tenure in the NBA:  "John Wooden isn't walking through that door.  Roy Williams isn't walking through that door.  And Al Maguire isn't walking through that door."  

You are right about the fact that John Thompson III is not gonna leave G'town... he will be there for 20+ years, just like his father... the Thompson name can still bring in recruits and cash...

You are also right about USF not getting a "named" coach for the reasons you stated...

But you missed a couple of (nitpicky) things...

- Va Tech is a five seed, not a four seed...

- Seth Greenberg took Long Beach State to the NCAA in 1992-1993 & 1994-1995, and to the NIT in 1991-1992...

And to clarify...

- USF only made it to the semifinals in C-USA in the 2004-2005 season, the last year in C-USA ... under Coach McCullum  (Source: USF Media Guide

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

1) Matt dougherty - probably one of the best recruiters out there.  Well known, recruited UNCs national championship team, turned around the norte dame basketball program.  From Long Island, so has NY  and north east ties.  

2) Anthony Grant - Donovans right hand man for every aspect of coaching.  Instantly successful at VCU.  Young with lots of charisma.  He might sell himself to players over a well known proven coach.  

3) Reggie theus - well known ex nba player who proved he can win at NMSU.  Got them in the tourney already.  Charismatic and on the verge of being a great coach.  Only problem is i feel he is looking for a big ticket and might jump ship in a few years.  

Its close but probably in that order, but any of those guys shouldnt be too expensive and too hard to get.  These are only my top 3, there are lots of other candidates out there that could do a great job.  I trust Woolard is going to find us a good coach.  

getting the thread back on track... here is one suggestion for a coach...

biography10mainimage.jpg

Gregg Marshall, Head Coach, Winthrop Eagles

Gregg Marshall's eight years as a college head coach have produced great team success and personal recognition.

He has led the Winthrop Eagles to six NCAA tournament appearances during his eight seasons, including four consecutive trips during his first four years at the helm. ...

Read More...

If/when? Winthrop beats Notre Dame in the tournament - this guy could be a hot commodity.

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  1,013

You're right.  My fault.... the latest win we have in the NIT was the Elite Eight in '95, where we lost to Marquette under Paschal.  We joined C-USA that Fall.  

Whoops.

I know it's been a while, but 95.  That's depressing.  We need to spend the cash and get a proven winner.  

Lutz could be a good choice.

Guest BasketBull.

Say, what big schools are also looking for a coach?

Btw, a lof of you guys/gals are just killjoy! --There's a chance we can get someone with umph! here. Anything is possible.

Bobby Knight at Texas Tech? (How crazy is that a few years back?)

How abot Huggy Bear at Kasas State?

Why not someone like Thompson at USF? Maybe Georgetown can't afford anymore than 400k. Maybe he wants more... Maybe if USF thinks big and grabs him... It's possible!

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

^^^^ No. No it's not possible. The coaches you used as an example were canned from their previous jobs. USF is not luring a big name coach at a major school from their job unless they blow them away with an offer.

Georgetown will be able to play JT III anything they want.

My guess is that Kentucky, Michigan, South Carolina have real possibilities of opening up. Utah's job opened up a few days ago, I would expect a big name to land there (They are looking to spend 700-800k.)