• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Self Concept Theory (For the MAC supporters)

Guest wildrover

Guest wildrover
What an interesting thread...

I have my opinion on RMc, and I have often said I will share it at the end of the season.  That seems reasonable.  

You're just way off on the whole "making one's mind up."  Just because you choose not to discuss it during the season (Woolard or a fan) doesn't mean you haven't made up your mind.

To disparage the guy while he is attempting to do his job serves no real purpose.

You spent a lot of time on a theory that probably doesn't apply to 99.9999% of the board membership.  But still it was fun to skim through after the first paragraph.

Hope your major wasn't Psych.

No it wasn't my major and I bet it does apply to 99.9999% of the board (if you would have read the whole thing you might be able to make a better assessment of what exactly was said) and you, by trying to destroy the validity of the theory (I can cite lots of literature supporting it, can you cite any that doesn't, the self-concept theory isn't global warming, its pretty well accepted) are proving my point.  Hope your major wasn't political science

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wildrover

By the way, just exactly what did I say that was disparaging to anyone?  And saying that you won't give your opinion about whether or not Mac is good for the program or not, at this point, is like saying you won't say if you think the Titanic is sinking or not until its underwater.  

Honestly, your rebuttal is pretty weak, you are normally much better, again, your attachment to your opinion is clouding your ability to objective and it shows in that post.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

You think people care if they were "right" or "wrong" in supporting Mac or not?  I'm pretty sure the people that post everyday on both sides of the Mac Camp care nothing more than just getting USF to be a better program and make the postseason every once in a while.  There are a few that take it to a different level at times, but the majority just care about the state of the basketball program.

I've always been the type to let a coach stay an entire season, before publicly firing him.  What good does letting a coach go in the middle or near the end of the season?  I'm sure Woolard doesn't want to comment on this until he's talked with Mac after the season.  I think we can all wait a few more days or weeks.    

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

rover,

My major was not political science.  I also did not mean to hurt your feelings or destroy the validity of your thread.  I just think most people have known for sometime what they want and are not sitting on the fence, and instead are retaining their commentary until a more appropriate time.  That's all.  I think there are some that would admit they might have changed positions and once believed in RMc (or were "wrong", as you call it).  Others you may have thought to be "MAC Supporters" because they would not engage in the ritual insults and cheap shots the Dark Side layered upon RMc for the last two seasons.

It's not a right/wrong thing - that is what some have delighted in.  It is a matter of discretion, form and decorum.  If someone changed their opinion on RMc from earlier in the season it was not due to "the Dark Side" it was likely due to what they saw on the court compared to what they expected to see.  So, really it is not a right/wrong.  If that is where your self-concept theory is in play, then I understand.

Look, you can ask a number of people about my dislike for EC.  But I kept my mouth shut all of last year and did the best to promote the team by posting stories, scores, etc.  I could have whined all year, everyday, multiple times a day but I was sure it would have no positive effect on my alma mater's baseball program.

Hence, while like many others, I have been frustrated with our basketball program I will not disparage the coach or the administrators before they have their opportunity to show they are willing to take the steps to improve USF Basketball.  If that means waiting until the end of the season to see if the AD will commit or de-commit to a coach, philosophy, funds, marketing, or anything program related -fine.  I believe it's best to judge the administration after they have had an opportunity to act.  Belittling isn't going to get RMc to resign, right?  You don't think the endless insults and negativity generated from this board would make him take his ball and go home, did you?  

Nothing was going to happen until season end and it would not be RMc's decision so why bust the guy's balls all year?

I'm okay with waiting to see what the decision makers are going to do.  And then I'll offer my opinion on it.  Until then it's all just speculation.

modified to fix typo

By the way, just exactly what did I say that was disparaging to anyone?  And saying that you won't give your opinion about whether or not Mac is good for the program or not, at this point, is like saying you won't say if you think the Titanic is sinking or not until its underwater.  

Honestly, your rebuttal is pretty weak, you are normally much better, again, your attachment to your opinion is clouding your ability to objective and it shows in that post.

Sorry I was reading a bedtime story and then responding to your other post.  To your first paragraph, we were underwater last year as you may recall.  So that really doesn't apply.  As far as disparaging, if you are going to speak of the Dark Siders you can't help but think of a group (this year) that did little more than disparage RMc.

I really wasn't rebutting anything...just saying as I posted in the post before this people have a right to withhold comment.

Thanks for the analsys though Doc, I'll work on my attachment issues.   ;)

Guest wildrover
You think people care if they were "right" or "wrong" in supporting Mac or not?  

In a word, yes I do.  Why do you think so many people say such mean things to each other on a message board when they've never even met.  Why are people so resolute in their opinions regarding such things as global warming (most people are scientist qualified to determine the debate on their own yet many have very strong opinions), abortion (this is a decision that most people will never have to deal with, having an opinion makes sense, having a strong opinion on the matter is irrational) or the state of Bulls basketball.  How often do you see civilized debate made up of give and take conversations that remain civil and constructive, how often do you get the feeling that people are trying to see and understand opposing points of view as opposed to deteriorating into threads filled with name calling and insults.  

Regardless of what Bulliever wants to believe the studies have shown time and time again that people attach self meaning to their opinion.  I'm a republican, I'm a democrat, I'm Jewish, I'm Christian, even something that, on its face, seems trivial like whether or not your a mac supporter or not helps define people, or rather helps people define themselves.  It is intuitive that when thoughts or ideas that we use to define who we are are are called into question we become immediately defensive (its called cognitive dissonance).  We are attached to ourselves and therefore attached to things we think make up ourselves such as our ideas and thoughts.  If we have to give up one of these ideas (Mac is a good/bad coach) then we are forced to give up something about us and thus redefine ourselves.  This is unsettling to most of us and we look for a way to avoid having to do that (like discounting information that is contrary to what we already know to be true (this is called sensemaking and is often how we resolve cognitive dissonance))

I have no doubt that everyone on this board, darksider or not, wants to see the mens bball team succeed.  But just like republicans and democrats both want whats best for the country (so they claim) there is still heated discussions between members of both parties (not just politicians).

Look, these aren't my theories, these ideas were formulated by very smart people who make a living studying and researching the human psyche (anthropologist, psychologist, sociologist etc.).  I'm sorry if it paints a picture of the human condition people don't want to read but the evidence is there to support these ideas, I wouldn't have brought them up otherwise

Well, this one's on JoeB...   ;D  It was your quote!!

This is too intense for me.  I'm about to crack under pressure and show my hand before the season ends!!

Guest wildrover

Sorry I was reading a bedtime story and then responding to your other post.  To your first paragraph, we were underwater last year as you may recall.  So that really doesn't apply.  As far as disparaging, if you are going to speak of the Dark Siders you can't help but think of a group (this year) that did little more than disparage RMc.

I really wasn't rebutting anything...just saying as I posted in the post before this people have a right to withhold comment.

Thanks for the analsys though Doc, I'll work on my attachment issues.   ;)

Calling me Doc isn't appropriate, I'm not a doctor

I was a finance major by the way and in my opinion, the only people on this planet who have no attachment issues are the Buddhists who have obtained enlightenment, probably not the best place for that discussion though

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

What an interesting thread...

I have my opinion on RMc, and I have often said I will share it at the end of the season.  That seems reasonable.  

You're just way off on the whole "making one's mind up."  Just because you choose not to discuss it during the season (Woolard or a fan) doesn't mean you haven't made up your mind.

To disparage the guy while he is attempting to do his job serves no real purpose.

You spent a lot of time on a theory that probably doesn't apply to 99.9999% of the board membership.  But still it was fun to skim through after the first paragraph.

Hope your major wasn't Psych.

To help with the percentage issue, I could not agree with Bulliever on this more. I have posted many times that I would wait till the end of season and send letter to AD with my contribution to voice my feelings. Because of these statements I have been called a Mac supporter. I think it boils down to age and maturity, I am from an era and work in a professional climate where things are handled the way Bulliever has stated and the way I am going to handle it. This does not make it the right way or the wrong way just the way I believe in doing things. All of that said, it has nothing to do with how I feel about Mac. When it comes time I may or may not post my feelings here; I do not think it changes anything if i do or do not.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

I would much rather have been wrong about the team so that I could at least hope for some kind of miracle in the big east tournament.  Syracuse pulled it off last year.  But whatever, my attention has shifted to the women as I attended more of their games this year than the men's games.  We need a few wins to assure a spot in the ncaa tourney, but it looks like we'll be up against UConn in the 2nd round if we beat Seton Hall for the 2nd game in a row, so it's going to be interesting.  That's certainly a better spot than the men are in...now Jose is a coach I'd like to keep.

But, in the end I'd prefer the men's team to do better because there is a lot of money to be made for the school there, disregarding that march madness is the best time of the year for sports watching.  I hope that we have enough money to keep Jose, get a new men's coach, and get that freaking dining hall.  We'll see, though.

As for this theory...I certainly don't feel as silly as the people that are just la-dee-da about the season and all the losing we are doing.  As bad as the team is doing, the excuse-making is getting really old.  It certainly doesn't suck to have the proof there of what you have been saying all season.  But it doesn't help because the ridiculously positive people (which just end up being at least equally negative to the darksiders, which btw I have not called myself but obviously I'm not happy with the current situation) will just keep on keeping on.  At least, when the season is OFFICIALLY "over," we'll finally get the OFFICIAL answer on this subject.  Bulliever, for all your keeping your opinion about Mac to yourself until that decision is made, you sure did a lot of talking about how the people that gave negative opinions are worthless,  heh.  Being so negative gets tiring I guess...but so does losing...oh well.  Good job staying strong all season.

Edit:  I forgot to get back to the point...Of course people want to be right, it adds to their self worth.  But it's not as simple as that because most people on the board are fans of USF (then there are stupid UCF posters who have too much time on their hands and of course the people that I wish did not call themselves USF fans but I guess we'll take what we can get).  I'm pretty sure the darksiders would rather the team win.  In fact, the 2 worst (ari and 83) about turned a 180 after notre dame because it could have been such a big win.  I say could have been because now I don't think it means much at all since it didn't lead to anything.  I dunno, maybe some recruit will be impressed by that 1 game...and beating Wake...ugh...oh well.