• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MSG Scenario - Cusp of Elimination

My understanding is that in a three-way tie, you would take best-record amongst the tied teams, regardless of number of games played in the group.  If it were USF-RU-NOVA, I think it would have gone: USF (1-0), RU (1-1), NOVA (0-1).  And when one team moves on, you still rank teams in order of the original "mini-conference" record.  It's certainly possible that I misunderstood the procedures. . .

In any case, UConn won and Rutgers lost, so it officially comes to an end, no matter how you slice it.  Very disappointing.

You're right that it's moot now, but... the Big East rules are a bit more complicated... they say that in a Big East tie of 3 or more teams, records matter if all teams played the same number of games OR if one team is still ahead if all teams could hypothetically play more games and no other team could catch up.  In the example you proposed, it's possible for all three teams to be 1-1, if USF and Nova hypothetically played each other.  In that case, you start by comparing records against the first place team (Pitt - all three lost), then the second place team (G'town, Nova went 1-1, USF and RU were 0-1)... therefore Nova would have won a hypothetical 3-way tie for 12th place....

I linked to the tie breaking info in my reply to Trip... and it's on the Big East site - in case anyone is interested...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

I got my info from the same website.  Under the section regarding multiple-team tie-breakers, it says you compare head-to-head records and give the advantage to the best winning percentage EVEN IF unequal games were played.  If my scenario (B) had played out and the conference gave the bid to someone else, I think USF would have a legitimate complaint.

The hypothetical records don't come into play until the first round of going through the standings (Nova's win over then-2nd-place GU wouldn't be the difference since USF at 0-0 could hypothetically go 2-0 or 1-1 given two shots, but Nova would eventually win further down in the standings and is why they would beat us in a straight-up two-way tie).

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  975
  • Days Won:  1

Heres an idea:

Worry about it if we actually win all 3 games remaining which would include our FIRST 2 EVER Big East road wins.  

As last year it looks as if I will be at the Big East tourney and the Bulls will not.  When do those tickets go out anyway?

I got my info from the same website.  Under the section regarding multiple-team tie-breakers, it says you compare head-to-head records and give the advantage to the best winning percentage EVEN IF unequal games were played.  If my scenario (B) had played out and the conference gave the bid to someone else, I think USF would have a legitimate complaint.

The hypothetical records don't come into play until the first round of going through the standings (Nova's win over then-2nd-place GU wouldn't be the difference since USF at 0-0 could hypothetically go 2-0 or 1-1 given two shots, but Nova would eventually win further down in the standings and is why they would beat us in a straight-up two-way tie).

I (happily) stand corrected.  I had read it several times, but somehow missed that point.