• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Fernandez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687
  • Days Won:  0

UF women's coach was just fired. Do they come after Coach Fernandez, and does he leave if they do?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

yes, and yes

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm sure his name will be on the list because of his Florida recruiting connections and the fact that he is doing so well at a school whose women's basketball facilities and money are nothing like they have up there.

If Jose is offered the job he'd probably accept it but you never know. For now Florida is being silent, just saying the are going for a current head coach and a good recruiter. One report did say the Baylor coach would be their 1st target, but not sure how legit it was.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Keep in mind UF has the resources to hire ANYBODY!!  And remember before Carol's arrived at UF her last involvement in college women's hoops was when she coached Purdue to the National Title in 1998, and went to UF in 02-03...after a stint coaching and as a GM in the WNBA.  

What I am saying is Carol was somewhat of a risk because she had been out of coaching for a while.  I think Foley is going after a proven, current winner ala Urban Meyer hire.  The Baylor coach seems about right, why settle if your UF, so I don't think Jose will be the #1 target on their list.  He's done wonders for USF, but to date, has accomplished little from a UF hiring perspective.  Foley will want a proven winner, i.e. multiple NCAA's, Sweet Sixteen visits...Jose's still slightly an unknown commodity, hiring him would be riskier then the Carol Peck hire that didn't go so well.

We shall see, but I just don't believe Jose's going to be #1 on their list and it probably won't happen.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Keep in mind UF has the resources to hire ANYBODY!!  And remember before Carol's arrived at UF her last involvement in college women's hoops was when she coached Purdue to the National Title in 1998, and went to UF in 02-03...after a stint coaching and as a GM in the WNBA.  

What I am saying is Carol was somewhat of a risk because she had been out of coaching for a while.  I think Foley is going after a proven, current winner ala Urban Meyer hire.  

We shall see, but I just don't believe Jose's going to be #1 on their list and it probably won't happen.

FYI...the Orlando Magic's WNBA Miracle Team hired Peck in the summer of 1998...and let her Coach the Purdue team that '98-99 season...and that's when Purdue (under Peck) on their National Title in April 1999.

Peck joined the Miracle just days later...and coached there till she was hired away to UF.

Believe in 3 years as Head Coach of the Miracle...that expansion team went to the playoffs I think once...but believe UF even offered her MORE money ($2 Million Contract) so she bolted back to College.

Peck was only out of College Ball "on the court" for just 3 years almost to the day...but obviously paid a lot of attention to College ball...because as GM of the Miracle and Head Coach...she was involved in their draft picks of "college players".

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

they could come after him, but i don't think he leaves, he loves this program too much, and he helped build it up from the ground, no way is he going to leave it just when it has turned the corner.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

What I am saying is Carol was somewhat of a risk because she had been out of coaching for a while.  I think Foley is going after a proven, current winner ala Urban Meyer hire.  

FYI...the Orlando Magic's WNBA Miracle Team hired Peck in the summer of 1998...and let her Coach the Purdue team that '98-99 season...and that's when Purdue (under Peck) on their National Title in April 1999.

Peck joined the Miracle just days later...and coached there till she was hired away to UF.

Believe in 3 years as Head Coach of the Miracle...that expansion team went to the playoffs I think once...but believe UF even offered her MORE money ($2 Million Contract) so she bolted back to College.

Peck was only out of College Ball "on the court" for just 3 years almost to the day...but obviously paid a lot of attention to College ball...because as GM of the Miracle and Head Coach...she was involved in their draft picks of "college players".

Are you her husband or something?  She was out of college ball for a full three years, and was a full-time GM, a very cush job and had been making oodles of money.  What did I say was wrong, or are you just adding more data?  The explanation of her firing was her inability to recruit, and handle and maintain the team.  Some insiders suggested she no-longer enjoyed working with the kids and the long college hours after her big money job in the WNBA.  

As far as UF goes she was a slight risk because she was away from the college ranks for a few years.  I expect this time around they go after a current HC that can keep the steam engine moving forward.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I don't even trust what most coaches say anymore.  They all say the same thing about how "they are not going anywhere", and then they see the amout of money they'd get and they are gone.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

they could come after him, but i don't think he leaves, he loves this program too much, and he helped build it up from the ground, no way is he going to leave it just when it has turned the corner.

If he is offered the UF job he is gone. Id put every dime I have on it. His problem with USF is that there is not enough marketing done. Well at UF with the highest or second highest athletics budget in the country that problem is fixed. USF will not offer him more money. We dont have it. That is why we cant afford another coach for MBB.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bullzfan4life, I think that's a jaded statement. Yes he loves the program and he's done great with it. However, women's basketball is not really a revneue sport that will attract massive facility upgrades or nice increases in pay.

Unlike the CJL situation, USF isn't promising massive amounts of funds. There isn't a superior talent base in the program's backyard. There isn't going to be a nice increase in salary to get the head coach at a level that the rest of the coaches in the conference are going to pay.

If UF offers him a salary similar to what Peck was making, adding in the fact that their women's basketball facilities are unbelievable (their own facilities) I think he might leave.