• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

usf needs to  go after same  florida pla

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Time to wave the ******** flag!  So we shouldn't pay attention to the position players that we need and we should go after kids only being recruited by FSU/UF/UM?  Are you kidding me?

The ratings are absolutely BS and based mostly on the college name the kid is signing with.  I guarantee you even half of ucf's class this year could compete for a starting position at any of the BCS schools in the state of Florida.      

We are trying to make the point that smazza only seems to think we should be getting the kids that UF/UM & FSU are recruiting.  We do go after those kids.  They don't always get every kid they go after and we don't either, which is the way it is.

I agree that the ratings/rankings are complete BS and a tool to get subscribers to Rivals and Scout.  JL and staff go after what they feel they need to complete the team.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt and staff did an awesome job getting highly skilled players to fill the positions the team needs.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Steve,

How hard is this for you to understand?  If a kid has no interest in USF and will not even listen to USF, how are you going to make him come here?  I assure you that the coaching staff makes contact with the kids you mention.  Some listen, some even consider us, others don't want to hear about us at all.

As far as I know, we went after Robert Marve (Miami), Noel Devine (FSU wanted him), Mike Ford (oh yeah, he came here), Jatavious Jackson (FSU), Thomas Edenfield (came here, FSU wanted him), etc.

Same way Illinois gets a "Top 15" class two years in a row!

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

I know some of you dont want to hear this BUT in recruits eyers Illinois has a bigger name than USF those are the facts. What have we done? Won a low level Bowl vs a CUSA school. Never been a top 25 team.

Illinois might not have been winning lately BUT their school rings a bell to recruits because of their basketball success and they been in Big 10  forever.

Until we crack the top 25 consistently and start going to BIG Bowl games we wont have the name to be considered in same league by recruits.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I know some of you dont want to hear this BUT in recruits eyers Illinois has a bigger name than USF those are the facts. What have we done? Won a low level Bowl vs a CUSA school. Never been a top 25 team.

Illinois might not have been winning lately BUT their school rings a bell to recruits because of their Ibasketball success and they been in Big 10  forever.

Until we crack the top 25 consistently and start going to BIG Bowl games we wont have the name to be considered in same league by recruits.

I can't necessary disagree with your statement Cuban, and I do believe your assessment has some merit.  We aren't there yet, but we are moving forward; albeit not as fast as a certain poster would like.  There was no footbal at all 11 years ago.  Smazza can not really believe that his ranting over the alleged "LACK OF PROGRESS" by the athletic department does anything but cause other posters to get p.o.'d at him.  

I don't know about other members of the board, but when I see a smazza post, I want to just get by it as fast as possible and avoid all that negativity.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Another thing to consider.  If we didn't have Grothe, maybe we get Marve.  If we didn't have such a deep receiving corps, maybe we get higher rated receivers.  Both of those things would have increased our rankings.  It also appears to me that there are more 4 and 5 star skill position players than there are linemen.

We had a real need at RB and got a highly rated RB.  We had  a need at both lines and addressed that.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

Steve needs to worry about his beloved USC since I heard on the radio today  they're now being investigated for recruiting violations again.

USC looking into potential recruiting violation with McKnight

February 9, 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California is looking into whether it may have violated NCAA recruiting rules while pursuing highly rated recruit Joe McKnight, a university official said.

McKnight signed a national letter of intent with USC on Wednesday and made comments during a news conference that seemed to suggest communications involving former Trojan Reggie Bush, who is now with the New Orleans Saints.

ADVERTISEMENT

Former players are forbidden from telephoning prospective recruits, their relatives or guardians.

"We're aware of it, and we are looking into it," sports information director Tim Tessalone told The Associated Press late Thursday.

The university's action was first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its Web site late Thursday.

USC coach Pete Carroll denied any call took place, and McKnight's high school football coach said the recruit misspoke during the news conference. The star running back has been living with his high school coach, J.T. Curtis.

"It never happened," Carroll told the Times.

During the Wednesday news conference, McKnight said Carroll set up a conference call so he and Curtis could talk to Bush and ease concerns USC might face sanctions.

The NCAA and the Pac-10 Conference are investigating whether Bush or his family received "improper benefits" from agents while he was playing for USC.

Regarding McKnight, Mike Matthews, associate commissioner of compliance for the Pac- 10, said boosters are not supposed to be involved in the recruiting process but could not comment without knowing specifics. NCAA spokeswoman Crissy Schluep also said she could not comment without knowing more.

Curtis told the Times on Thursday that he spoke to Carroll during McKnight's recruitment, but not on a conference call with McKnight or Bush. He also said McKnight told him "Coach Carroll was talking to Reggie on the speakerphone and Joe was able to listen and hear Reggie Bush's side of the story," the newspaper reported.

After being informed of Carroll's denial Thursday night, Curtis called McKnight and later said the recruit never heard Bush on a speakerphone.

"He said when they came in his house, the discussion was brought up about probation and that's when the conversation came up that they had talked to Reggie, but Joe was not there," Curtis said. "He said, 'I was not on the speakerphone. I never called him and he never called me. I want to make it clear I never spoke to Reggie and he never spoke to me. I just messed it up. I shouldn't have said it that way (at the news conference)."'

Curtis said McKnight may have been overwhelmed by the attention and scrutiny that accompanied his announcement.

"At the press conference, it seemed like he got 1,000 questions in five minutes," Curtis said. "If you saw what was going on it would be easier to understand."

Updated on Friday, Feb 9, 2007 3:26 am EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-usc-mcknight&prov=ap&type=lgns

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  400

Personally, I just hope these recruits dont lose to teams like Kansas or Cincy.. the day we don't lose to programs like these is the day that our recruiting will be on par with the Big 3.

Gameplanning wins games, but talent alone should be able to beat the Kansases and Cincys of the world.