• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What a difference a year makes for USF football!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I recall last year at this same time. C4 was all the rage.  I remember the feeling of losing hope after the spring game ... thinking we may come out of this last season with a losing record.  I remember the Big East bashing. We were going to be a mediocre team in a mediocre conference.

WTF happened? The early season was looking like same-old same-old. But then within two games we had our prodigy QB ...we ended up 9-4 with the first bowl win in schools history in a VERY tough Big East!!!

And NOW? Now we have an arguably better coaching staff, our Grothe returns, MIKE FORD is coming, and we're looking at a potentially kick @ss recruiting team with an optimal home schedule?

I have never been so excited about college football as I am right now!!!

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

Good analysis Griggsy.  I am ready for some football!

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I have to admit, I predicted 6-6, 7-5 with a good year.  Obviously, that was pre Grothe, nonetheless it turned out to be a great year.  Looking forward to the spring game and the '07 season!  Another year, another bowl.

go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Now we have an arguably better coaching staff, our Grothe returns, MIKE FORD is coming, and we're looking at a potentially kick @ss recruiting team with an optimal home schedule?

Grothe and Ford... what a combo, huh?  I hope FORD TOUGH is not all hype!

Man, next year is going to be awesome!

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

I share the enthusiasm for the new year, but want to temper it just a bit. Just as we went from pessimism to pleasant surprise over the course of last year, it's just as easy to do the reverse this year. Let's be careful not to be overly optimistic because we still have alot of questions coming into this year.

- Grothe coming off the injury. Will he heal in time? Will he at all be affected physically or mentally hesitant?

- Mike Ford is an unkown quantity. I'm as excited as everyone else about the kid...but he has to show up on the field. We've had some noticeable recruits flame out before (see C4, Johnny Peyton)

- We lost great leaders on defense: Stephen Nicholas and Patrick St. Louis. Will there be a dropoff? Especially early on...

- As much as I personally think it will be an improvement...Rod Smith is gone. What does it do to our offense? The offensive scheme remains more or less the same... but is there going to be any learning curve for the guys who've been here a while?

- With last year's success...can we keep our guys out of trouble, going to class, and training hard? I firmly think the suspensions may have been part of the difference in that Kansas game last year.

- Before you laugh...Dave W. up at Pitt is having another one of those recruiting classes. That game is one that could bite us if we aren't careful, as well as the North Carolina game.

- I believe WVU is the first conference game. Luckily it'll be at home, but they'll be out for blood. Last year we got them at the end of the season, this year in late september. We've never had a bigger game so early in the season. Will Elon, Auburn and NC be enough to get us ready? I hope so....

- Ray Rice for RU, Slaton and White at WVU, Brohm at the Ville are all back. Competition isn't going to sit on their hands either. All the "prize recruits" from last year will be suiting up...and some other team may find their "Grothe".

- Will our receivers be able to eliminate the mental errors and drops last year? (ie. Amp Hill in the RU game)

These are just the issues that I can think of off the top of my head. So while I'm geeked up about this new season, let's be realistic as well. If things fall into place and everything goes right...on paper this team should be good enough to go 11-1. But it could just as easily drop games to WVU, RU, Louisville, and Auburn...and then we're pretty much back in Birmingham. So the difference in expectations to reality that we saw from last year to this year, could just as easily be in the other direction. We all love our team...but great programs are consistent. That's something we'll still be learning how to do.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

- Grothe coming off the injury. Will he heal in time? Will he at all be affected physically or mentally hesitant?

I think evidence suggests he'll be fine.  He handled his previous injuries well and Mr. Grothe said he is healing well.  I think he'll be even better than the end of the year last year, health-wise.  Hopefully he is also training to get better, of course, and will be better in other ways as well.  Hard to not be optimistic here, heh.

- Mike Ford is an unkown quantity. I'm as excited as everyone else about the kid...but he has to show up on the field. We've had some noticeable recruits flame out before (see C4, Johnny Peyton)

that is very true.  he's our first 5-star recruit (and only on rivals, he's a 4-star on scout).  however, I plancher should be healed and hopefully good to go, ponton will have to be better to keep any playing time, and b-will was much-improved and was bowl game MVP.  even if Ford doesn't work out we should be better than last year.  keep in mind that Ford is 20 (I believe), so the chance that he can step right in is high if he's as talented as we hope.

- We lost great leaders on defense: Stephen Nicholas and Patrick St. Louis. Will there be a dropoff? Especially early on...

yeah, that's the biggest concern.  that hardship waiver for McKensie would sure help, but it is true that we'l be starting 2 new guys here.  St Louis was out for most of the WVU game, though, and Chris Robinson filled in nicely in the bowl game I believe.  I do think early on is a concern, especially with Auburn as our second game.  They lost some key players as well, though, so hopefully our guys adjust faster.  I think having the leader in tackles for the big-12 (again, hardship waiver dependent) would really boost out chances there.  It's crazy but we could actually improve at this position from last year, even though it's a concern.

- As much as I personally think it will be an improvement...Rod Smith is gone. What does it do to our offense? The offensive scheme remains more or less the same... but is there going to be any learning curve for the guys who've been here a while?

I believe S Bien mentioned that Greg Gregory helped call plays last year, so I don't think we'll miss much here.  We might even have some new plays in since Gregory used to run the option apparently.  I think we'll be fine, and possibly better here (I keep saying that, don't I...)

- With last year's success...can we keep our guys out of trouble, going to class, and training hard? I firmly think the suspensions may have been part of the difference in that Kansas game last year.

yeah, that is always a concern, but hopefully they have learned the lesson and moved on.  at least they'd only be suspended for 2 games for a first-time offense now (ugh...please don't do it...)

- Before you laugh...Dave W. up at Pitt is having another one of those recruiting classes. That game is one that could bite us if we aren't careful, as well as the North Carolina game.

always a concern.  so is cincy, obviously.

- I believe WVU is the first conference game. Luckily it'll be at home, but they'll be out for blood. Last year we got them at the end of the season, this year in late september. We've never had a bigger game so early in the season. Will Elon, Auburn and NC be enough to get us ready? I hope so....

gonna be tough.  need our defense to gel with new LBs by then.  DL should be even better since we didn't lose anyone there.  same with all but 1 DB as well.  I'm not sure who they lost.  they might be better too.

- Ray Rice for RU, Slaton and White at WVU, Brohm at the Ville are all back. Competition isn't going to sit on their hands either. All the "prize recruits" from last year will be suiting up...and some other team may find their "Grothe".

that's true.  at least we get WVU and UL at home, and UL does have a new coach...I believe Rutgers lost some people on defense.  We'll see, though, we could have some ranked team matchups with all 3.  All those heisman candidates are always a concern.

- Will our receivers be able to eliminate the mental errors and drops last year? (ie. Amp Hill in the RU game)

the defender did do something on that play, but I'm sure he has worked out to get better.  I think the WRs did well last year overall.  If we can replace Ean with a playmaker then we'll be better here.

These are just the issues that I can think of off the top of my head. So while I'm geeked up about this new season, let's be realistic as well. If things fall into place and everything goes right...on paper this team should be good enough to go 11-1. But it could just as easily drop games to WVU, RU, Louisville, and Auburn...and then we're pretty much back in Birmingham. So the difference in expectations to reality that we saw from last year to this year, could just as easily be in the other direction. We all love our team...but great programs are consistent. That's something we'll still be learning how to do.

I'm trying to contain the excitement but we just seem to have so many positives even in areas where we lost people.  And we didn't lose many people.  You could argue that there is potential to be better at every position where we lost someone (including coaches).  If everyone works hard in the off-season then we should be an all-around better team, worthy of the top 25, imo.  I agree, though, that we could lose all the tough games and end up in a crappy bowl and if we get upset a few times we could not even make a bowl.  It's just so hard to not be excited...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Credit for part of the big difference between 2007 and the earlier years has to be given to Matt Grothe.  Also, our defense was the biggest key in shutting down WVU at Morgantown.  We need to shore up the two spots we lost when Nicholas and St. Louis graduated.  I think we are in good shape there.

Of course, if Mike Ford plays, and plays as he is expected to, we will give our opponents a lot of problems.  

I like where we are right now.  I would love to see us win the BE crown this year, but we have a few obstacles in our way which we have to overcome, UL, WVU, Rutgers, etc., etc.  I am at this time cautiously optimistic.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

I can only answer the first comment (Blade) will heal in time!! and  HELL NO!!!

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I too remember being VERY discouraged after the Spring Game last year.

I remember saying "Well, it's another season with Pat after all..."

I can't wait for this Spring Game!