• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FWIW: Marve picked Canes

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

Marve's decision bolsters Canes

Randy Shannon's first recruiting class got a huge boost when Tampa Plant quarterback Robert Marve committed to UM after first choosing Alabama.

The University of Miami got its guy Wednesday, and this one appears to be here to stay.

Robert Marve, the record-setting Tampa Plant High School quarterback who led the Panthers to the Class 4A state title, orally committed to the Hurricanes during a news conference at his school's fieldhouse.

Though the commitment is nonbinding, Marve will make it official when he signs his letter of intent Wednesday to become UM's quarterback of the future -- a signing that will boost considerably the value of coach Randy Shannon's first recruiting class.

''Coach Shannon is such a great guy, a guy I'll battle for and fight for and just play all-out,'' said Marve, last week named the 2006 Florida Dairy Farmers Mr. Football and this week named a Parade All-American. ``That was the spot for me.''

With Marve were his father Eugene, who played in the NFL for 11 seasons; his mother Julie; his sister Rebecca; his coach Robert Weiner; teammates; and several friends.

The Hurricanes have had horrible luck with quarterback recruits in the past two signing classes, with three oral commitments changing their minds as signing day approached.

''When Coach Shula was there, I was really cool about going there,'' Marve said. ``When I visited Coach Saban, I came back and told [Weiner] that if there was a school that was going to get me, it wasn't going to be Alabama. I didn't feel it again. I can't explain it. . . . I didn't feel it there, but I felt it at UM.''

The NCAA prohibits college coaches from discussing prospective players.

Weiner said Saban never told Marve he wanted to recruit another quarterback. That, combined with the influence of new UM offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, helped sway Marve.

''When Patrick Nix came [to Tampa Plant], I felt more comfortable,'' Weiner said. ``The selling point for me was this was a coach who is concerned about the player in all aspects. . . . Patrick Nix was the clincher for me.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/colleges/16592547.htm

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

well, at least he didnt join the dark side in alabama.

When I visited Coach Saban, I came back and told [Weiner] that if there was a school that was going to get me, it wasn't going to be Alabama.

awesome.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It is a very good move for Marve.  Even assuming USF was on his list, he would have had to probably redshirt the first year.  Also, he still would have to compete against Matt for starting QB.  It would be a nice problem to have for sure, but I am very happy with what we have #8.

I am interested in seeing what we get in the 2008/2009 class in way of QB.  I would hate to see what we have with Matt disappear when he graduates, and wind up in the situation we were in after Marquel graduated.