• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jose' Rips Administration

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Gurly got it Mag.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

i dont think its a matter of it being girls basketball. i m from Connecticut and every1 goes wild for UCONN girls bball team i kno my grandparents even go to the games and they have nothing to do with the university

UConn has won national championships and every year has a top 5 team.  That's the extreme case of women's basketball.

Throw in UTenn, UNC, Duke, etc.

20 years ago UCONN basketball (both Mens and ladies) was nothing.  They had zero following, and they were not that good.  You should look to programs like these as an an example of what could be and how to build them.

The point is that in Jose we have a coach that has the ability to bring us to near these levels.  it can be done!!!

15 years ago people laughed at us when we said we would have a football team.  4 years ago people would have laughed at us for saying we would be in the BE.  With a vison and the right people in place a lot can be accomplished.  I think Jose is the guy that can bring national prominence to this program.

if that is the case, and he does seem to be doing a great job, then I hope we can hold on to him.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

the same people who state that the Athletic department cant fire CRM because we dont have the money wants to pay a WBB coach more money. You guys cant have it both ways.

Guest Sprtsfn627
Ari, Jose isn't going anywhere next year, its not about money at all, he loves coaching here, he just wants more support for his team, that is it, nothing else to it.

I dunno about that... there is a school up north that is very interested in him and it would not shock me if he's coaching there next year. Not because he hates USF, but they will be willing to pay him much more than he makes here.

He wasn't interested in the Miami job, I doubt he would have interest in the UF job.  I'm thinking he'll end up somewhere even better if he chooses to leave.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

i dont think its a matter of it being girls basketball. i m from Connecticut and every1 goes wild for UCONN girls bball team i kno my grandparents even go to the games and they have nothing to do with the university

UConn has won national championships and every year has a top 5 team.  That's the extreme case of women's basketball.

Throw in UTenn, UNC, Duke, etc.

Duke/UNC and to some extent UConn are Johnny-come-lately's in women's hoops. La Tech and Old Dominion were the traditional powerhouses all through the 80's and into the 90's. Now it's getting marketing money, so you are seeing the bigger schools jump in the game. Now that it's on the radar screen, the schools with deeper pockets are using it as another way to get their school some more recognition.

Guest Sprtsfn627

Here are last year's attendance marks for the state while I'm at it:

Florida 1,849

Florida St. 1,356

Bethune-Cookman 1,086

Miami 1,011

FAMU 690

USF 626

FIU 562

Stetson 441

UCF 345

UNF 327

FAU 317

Jacksonville 238

While we have improved this year, we need to do better.  There is no reason we can't average at least 1000 fans a game for WBB.  And in case you were wondering, the Top 50 ends with a 2,287 average for 50th...so we would need at least 2000 a game to get close to Top 50 in attendance.  Dare to dream we have attendance close to the caliber of the program.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

There is a BIG difference between UM and UF and thats money. UF will offer him way more money than UM could ever offer.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

what are the attendance marks for the big east?

http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/nph-YaBB.pl?num=1169014804/83#83

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  420
  • Days Won:  0

Hey All,

This is a great chance to connect with alumni…and enjoy women’s basketball…please pass along…..

Pre-Game Women's Basketball Social

Sponsored by the Pinellas County Alumni Chapter

Women's Basketball: USF vs. Pitt

Saturday, Feb. 10 from 4:30-6:30 p.m.

Gibbons Alumni Center, USF Tampa

Meet special guest, former USF basketball star Tony Greier and hear about his new book, A Raging Bull: Chasing the Big Time.

R.S.V.P. to Katie Giglio, Alumni Coordinator at 727-873-4561 or kgiglio@spadmin.usf.edu