• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

LOCAL PREP STANDOUT AARON HOLMES TRANSFERS TO USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

LOCAL PREP STANDOUT AARON HOLMES TRANSFERS TO USF

Freshman Guard will become eligible next winter

Tampa, Fla. (January 8, 2007) – The University of South Florida men’s basketball program has added one of the most decorated prep players to every play basketball in the greater Tampa area with the transfer of Aaron Holmes from Florida State.

Holmes, a 6-5, 180-pounder from St. Petersburg, enrolled at USF this week and joined his new teammates on the practice court after completing a physical.  Holmes will become eligible at the conclusion of first semester finals next winter.  He had planned to redshirt in his first campaign with the Seminoles.

“We are elated to add Aaron to our program,” head coach Robert McCullum said.  “He is a player we recruited while he was in high school and his offensive skills and versatility will help immediately with our depth following the graduation of Melvin Buckley.”

A 2006 graduate of St. Petersburg Catholic High School, Holmes garnered All-Suncoast Player of the Year accolades on three occasions and concluded his career with 2,748 points.  A two-time first team all-state honoree, he is the all-time leading scorer at SPC and helped the program to 100 victories during his tenure.  

A four-year letterwinner and starter, he was runner-up for Mr. Basketball honors in Florida in 2006 and reached double figures in points in every game that season.  Holmes was one of just six players in Pinellas County history to score more than 2,000 career points. He led SPC to four straight district titles and three trips to the state Final Four.

“Aaron’s work ethic and character make him a good fit to the program both on and off the court,” McCullum said.  “We feel strongly that he is the type of student-athlete who will elevate our team.”

Holmes joins fellow guard Dominique Jones (Lake Wales, FL/Lake Wales HS) to comprise the current USF recruiting class.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Welcome to Bull Nation Aaron!

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

lol, what site is just reporting this today?

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

they released it today because today is the first day of spring classes.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  552

Aaron Holmes has a really bad attitude. I was really disappointed when I saw he was transfering to USF. He has the talent, but his attitude to authority and women need to change.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Aaron Holmes has a really bad attitude. I was really disappointed when I saw he was transfering to USF. He has the talent, but his attitude to authority and women need to change.

Hope you're wrong about him.  Where I work I see a lot of "bad attitude" situations.  A lot of Battery (Domestic Violence) offenders come into our office on probation.  The only thing I would say with regard to Holmes is if he gets into any trouble with regard to physical violence towards a woman he be sent packing, unless he gets himself into therapy to deal with anger issues at the very least.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

What's the Holme's history on the domestic violence issue?

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  552

I can name 3 instances from when I did my sit in for internship where he spit on a female, yelled at a female teacher and walked out because he didnt want to sit properly in his desk, and putting down female in the class room. I think if the school would of cracked down on him more and punished him, not "turn the other cheek" to his antics, he might of shaped up; its hard to say though.

I've heard other things he did while at SPC through my sister and her friends, but I won't comment on them since I did not see those first hand.