• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future Bulls enrolling in January may include ..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

ford IS coming

I'll believe it when I see it.  I just don't want to be heart broken.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

ford IS coming

If you know something  share  with  us.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

BULLS

McKenzie Transfers To USF

Published: Jan 5, 2007

TAMPA Former Iowa State linebacker Tyrone McKenzie, a second-team All-Big 12 selection last year, has transferred to the University of South Florida and will begin classes Monday.

A 2004 Riverview High graduate, McKenzie said he will seek an NCAA waiver to become eligible in 2007 because he’s returning home so he can assist his mother, Ruth Sloley. If successful, McKenzie would not have to sit out the mandatory transfer season and would have two years left.

“Picking USF was easy. [Linebackers] coach [Wally] Burnham has coached a lot of great linebackers and [uSF] coach [Jim] Leavitt has coached a lot of great players,†McKenzie said.

He added he left ISU because of his family situation and Coach Dan McCartney was fired.

At Iowa State, the 6-foot-2, 232-pound McKenzie ranked eighth in nation, averaging 10.8 tackles per game.

McKenzie initially signed with Michigan State out of Riverview and played mostly on special teams at MSU in 2004. He transferred to Iowa State in 2005 and sat out a year before playing last season for the Cyclones.

Brett McMurphy

Find this article at:

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBC86UHLWE.html  

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

We'd told you on the blog earlier this week that Iowa State linebacker Tyrone McKenzie had registered for spring classes at USF, a strong indication he was transferring as had initially been expected. He's also registered for spring classes at Iowa State, allowing for a last-minute change, but I'm told he's a done deal for USF. His experience -- a ridiculous 129 tackles as a sophomore with the Cyclones -- gives him the inside track to start this fall at outside linebacker, providing he's able to get a hardship waiver from the NCAA. He'll be a walk-on this spring, but is expected to be on scholarship this fall. Don't forget former Gibbs cornerback Kevin Williams, who will also enroll this spring, as well as three members from last year's recruiting class who are newly qualified: defensive end David Fonua and offensive linemen Kevin McCaskill and Jeremiah Warren.

The newest addition to the decor in the USF football office, by the way, is the slick trophy the Bulls picked up at the Papajohns.com Bowl. When I say picked up, I don't mean that trivially. The thing is heavy. Looking at pics of Jim Leavitt raising it in celebration after the game, you could tell the thing isn't exactly hollow; he told me I'd have to go to the weight room first if I wanted to pick it up. That said, Pat Julmiste and S.J. Green made it into this week's Sports Illustrated holding the hardware high with pride. Needless to say, they're stronger than I am.

A little follow-up on assistant coaches Bernard Clark and Lawrence Dawsey, who have left the Bulls for similar jobs at Florida International and FSU, respectively. Clark is very tight with new FIU coach Mario Cristobal -- he played with Mario and his brother at Miami in the '80s. Cristobal called him while he was in Birmingham preparing for the bowl, and Clark told him he wasn't interested. He called again a week later and asked Clark just to come down and listen to him, and that conversation convinced Clark to return to FIU, to have a chance to build something like he'd witnessed at USF. My initial thought is that former Jefferson coach Mike Simmonds, overqualified as a graduate assistant this season, could easily be elevated to defensive line coach. Leavitt isn't in a hurry, however, so he may listen this coming week at the national coaches convention in San Antonio, just to see the level of interest in a BCS job in Florida.

As for Dawsey, he'd said publicly last month that he was happy at USF, that there was "nothing" to speculation about him and Florida State. It never went away, however, and I kept hearing the same thing: Bobby Bowden had been like a father figure to him, so when the guy calls and asks you to replace his actual son, it's hard to say no. That, and Dawsey's annual salary goes from $79,000 at USF to a reported $125,000 in Tallahassee. It's especially impressive when you consider that he made only $42,000 his first year with the Bulls. Even when you've made much more money as he did in the NFL, it has to be gratifying to essentially triple your salary in your first three years in a new job. Dawsey's a good guy and immensely popular with his players, but it's weak professionally not to at least return calls to the media from the job you're leaving. If you're willing to be quoted saying you're staying, it only seems fair to address why you're not, right? As Nick Saban has shown this week, what a coach is saying and what he's doing can often be too very different things.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

all credit to GREG AUMAN's BLOG!

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691

Ford won't register until he receives NCAA Clearinghouse approval.  Kevin Williams is registered, Holmes might already be by now, and they say Kevin McCaskill is enrolling.  So is Fonua now up to 270lbs and Jeremiah Warren.

when is the deadline to register?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

...Fonua now up to 270lbs ...

Love this and expect him to RS in 2007 with the SR depth we have.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Ford won't register until he receives NCAA Clearinghouse approval.  Kevin Williams is registered, Holmes might already be by now, and they say Kevin McCaskill is enrolling.  So is Fonua now up to 270lbs and Jeremiah Warren.

when is the deadline to register?

Usually the end of the first week of classes.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

n Greg's blog he says  he talked to Ford and will give us an update later about it!  Come on Greg, enough with the tease!  Let us hear it allready!!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

yeah drop/add ends next Friday