• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

On-Campus Stadium Survey

lets do the math

$2/credit hour x 135 hours (based on number of hours I took to obtain BSEE) = $270

$270 per student x 42000 students (approximate enrollment) = 11,340,000 over four years.

Well short of the 150 million dollars estimated by Jim of the final cost in the "on Campus stadium questions answered" sticky.  and barely enough every four years to pay the annual bond of 11 million per year (also in the same thread.)  

good try, but much other funding would be needed, and $2 per hour is only a small dent in the price of such a project.

It is actually FAR FAR FAR worse than what you show -- this was part of the research I needed to do, today:

In 2005-2006, USF had 463,325 total credit hours.  So, student fees would be less than $1 million per year at $2 per credit.

Source: FL Dept of Education

For what it's worth, At USF, the current (2006-2007) Athletic fee is $10.16 per credit hour PLUS $7 per student per semester.

Tax dollars will not be used: the Legislature is dominated by Florida and Florida State grads.  Unless the state allows them to use tax dollars to pay off debt service on their facilities, you can expect that USF will not get tax dollars.

That leaves private sources as the only other sources:

- Donations

- Personal Seat Licenses

- Luxury Box Rent

- Naming Rights and other Advertising

- Concessions

- Parking

Can we get $11 million or more from these sources? Sure -- but do not expect student fees to be anything other than a very minor component.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks for all your research there Jim.  I guess I was off on my recollection of the thletic fees, as you indicated they are currently already higher than what I thought (flat $20, hmm maybe that was computing fees?)

On a different note, even though it'd be good money, I'd hate to have an on campus stadium with a corporate name.  I know Louisville and some others do it, but for a college atmosphere names like Florida field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium or Bobby Bowden Field at Doak Campbell Stadium are more appropriate.  Imagine our first home game Leavitt Stadium, or National television covering the 11-0 Bulls facing off against an 11-0 Miami team in "the house that Jim built"

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

^That would be AWESOME.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Jim, do you know what kind of money UCF got for there erector set and from where? I just was wondering that, because whatever they put in for there's we are going to have to have alot more if we want the amentities of a Ray Jay.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Let's work on convincing the Glazers that Dallas is going to one-up them with the $1 billion stadium, have him run off and try and build a new one, and take over RayJay and paint it green.  ;D

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Let me tell ya all fiscally prudent naysayers, once its built, the money will flow.  I DVR'd all of the "Field of Dreams" programs that were on one of the HD channels on NYD.  I will make you a DVD.  You watch all those programs and then you will understand what USF is loosing out on something that can only be created on campus with a stadium - tradition and memories.  You can't buy memories.  They can only be created.  I'm telling USF needs to "sell the farm" or "spend the kids college funds" on this.  RJS is a sterile atmosphere and we are missing out BIG TIME!

I work with a non-college educated father of a USF grad that is not a die hard USF football fan.  I respect this person.  He is intelligent and he is a decorated Vietnam vet .  Both are fans but not head over heels.  I've taken them to a few games.  This guy comes to me and asks me when will USF have all the crazed fans of teams like TN, PSU, Boise State and so forth.  After explaining about lack of history and having hardly any football crazed alumni, he says,  "Without an on campus stadium USF basically doesn't have an identity."  I never mention OCS in the conversation.  It's his assessment.  People, seeing this lite is is like coming to Jesus.  Maybe not that dramatic but it's like a switch was turned on.  Again, we are missing out.

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

lets do the math

$2/credit hour x 135 hours (based on number of hours I took to obtain BSEE) = $270

$270 per student x 42000 students (approximate enrollment) = 11,340,000 over four years.

Well short of the 150 million dollars estimated by Jim of the final cost in the "on Campus stadium questions answered" sticky.  and barely enough every four years to pay the annual bond of 11 million per year (also in the same thread.)  

good try, but much other funding would be needed, and $2 per hour is only a small dent in the price of such a project.

It is actually FAR FAR FAR worse than what you show -- this was part of the research I needed to do, today:

In 2005-2006, USF had 463,325 total credit hours.  So, student fees would be less than $1 million per year at $2 per credit.

Source: FL Dept of Education

For what it's worth, At USF, the current (2006-2007) Athletic fee is $10.16 per credit hour PLUS $7 per student per semester.

Tax dollars will not be used: the Legislature is dominated by Florida and Florida State grads.  Unless the state allows them to use tax dollars to pay off debt service on their facilities, you can expect that USF will not get tax dollars.

That leaves private sources as the only other sources:

- Donations

- Personal Seat Licenses

- Luxury Box Rent

- Naming Rights and other Advertising

- Concessions

- Parking

Can we get $11 million or more from these sources? Sure -- but do not expect student fees to be anything other than a very minor component.

Very good Jim... right on the "money."   ;)

Another thing about state tax money (not E&G -- PECO).  They can NOT be used unless it is for a ACADEMIC building.  Note:  FSU added "classrooms" (also known as golf cart storage rooms it the real world) to the stadium.  This is where I'm not sure if the state would let us get away with.

Thats why the new Marshall Center needed two fees to pay for it.  A small flat fee and a per credit hour fee.  Some Activity and Service fee (the stuff SG "hands out") were also used, and are still being saved up "in case something happens."  State tax dollars were not used.  

They could use a similar fee system that we set up for the new MC:

MC STUDENT FEES

Fee Committee

Student Government and the Vice President for Student Affairs put together a committee made up of four students (including a non-traditional student, a resident student, a Greek affiliated student and a graduate student) and four faculty/staff to look at how we might fund the initial phase of this project.

Committee's Recommendation

That committee made a recommendation on how to fund the initial phase of the project, which will cost $29 million. The committee recommended a new fee, specifically for this project, made up of:

* $20 flat fee/per student, and

* $1.50/per credit hour

The committee felt a “combination fee†shared the cost more equitably among full-time and part-time students, undergraduates and graduates, traditional and non-traditional students. Add that up and it equals:

* Full-time: $42.50 (15 hours)

* Part-time: $24.50 (3 hrs)

That way full-time students are not carrying most of the burden for part-time students: as they would if it were a straight per credit hour fee. And part-timers are not having to pay more than their fair share; which is what they would be doing if it were a flat fee.

If the fees were a "Straight Credit Hour Feeâ€Â, then it would cost the student:

* $4/per credit hour = $60/full-time

* part-time (3 hr class) = $12

If it were a "Flat Fee", it would be $35/per student.

Cost Impact to Students

As stated previously, the fee for a full-time student equals $42.50 a semester. Which broken down is $2.66 per week ($42.50/16 weeks = $2.66).

$2.66 per week is less than the cost of:

* a video rental

* 1.25 gallons of gas

* a magazine

* a six pack of coke

* a burger and fries

http://ctr.usf.edu/renovation/stufees.html

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532

On campus stadium??????  But the NCAA doesnt allow beer right!!?!?!?!

Why is that ALWAYS the question?  Besides the fact that USF is a wet campus with beer in the Sun Dome and a "wet" new Marshall Center on the way!

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/where-are-the-students/

Jim, do you know what kind of money UCF got for there erector set and from where? I just was wondering that, because whatever they put in for there's we are going to have to have alot more if we want the amentities of a Ray Jay.

From the U.C.F. Website:

Construction of the $51 million, 45,000-seat stadium is scheduled to begin in the spring of 2006 and be completed in time for the start of the season in the fall of 2007...

The stadium will have a 30-year debt service that will average about $4 million annually and will be covered by revenues generated by the football stadium from sources like suites and club seat leases, naming rights, ticket and concessions sales, donations, corporate sponsorships and advertising. Conservative estimates show the stadium having an annual income of at least $8.5 million from these sources. No public funds or tuition will be used to build or support the stadium.

SOURCE

Bright House Networks has acquired naming rights to UCF's new football stadium slated to open next year, the university and cable provider announced today in an on-campus ceremony.

UCF has begun construction on "Bright House Stadium," which is scheduled to be completed in time for the 2007 home opener against Texas. According to the agreement, UCF will receive $15 million over 15 years for naming rights to the Golden Knights' stadium.

SOURCE

Another thing about state tax money (Education and General Fund, E&G).  They can NOT be used unless it is for a ACADEMIC building.  Note:  FSU added "classrooms" (also known as golf cart storage rooms it the real world) to the stadium.  This is where I'm not sure if the state would let us get away with.

Actually, E&G funds are for the operating costs.  Academic buildings are built using Public Education Capital Outlay (PECO) funds that are collected from the Gross Receipts Tax on electric and telecommunications bills and from the $2.32 per credit hour Building Fee.

Thats why the new Marshall Center needed two fees to pay for it.  A small flat fee and a per credit hour fee.  Some Activity and Service fee (the stuff SG "hands out") were also used, and are still being saved up "in case something happens."  State tax dollars were not used.  

FSU used Capital Improvement Trust Fund money to build the University Center around Doak Campbell Stadium.  CITF money is paid by students per credit hour ($2.44), and is officially appropriated by the Florida Legislature, upon a recommendation process that starts at each university.

Yes, a special fee would help -- but at less than 500,000 credits per year for less than 45,000 students -- it would need to be pretty hefty to provide substantial funds.

The Marshall Center fees ($1.50 per credit hour and $20 per semester) generates around $2.5 million per year... (estimate)...