• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pirates still buzzing about bowl matchup

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

And as S Bien points out, since 2001 we've made it to more bowl games than ECU.

Pretty selective time period, wb, since we went to bowls in 2000 and 2001.  How about this:  since 2000, a period that includes some of the worst football in school history, we've been to twice as many bowls as you and won a percentage that is so much higher, mathematicians cannot calculate it.

yeah, selecting the last 4 years means nothing.  the most important fact is how good the team is now, and right now I think we have a better team and should show that in the bowl game.  However, if you want to look at the most recent years we've had a better team every year.  I am responding to the fact that we have "never won a bowl game."  well, if you say that without qualifying it it deserves a response.  The fact remains it took your school 46 years to win a real bowl game and it will have taken us 10 years of actual playing to do the same.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  274

If we only win 4 bowl games in 28 years I'd be shocked.  And how many years before 1978 did ECU play and not go to a bowl game?

They were an NAIA school before 1978. I don't think they even made it to the Cigar Bowl or anything else!!!!!

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

You guys always talk about the years USF beat you as some of the worst years in your program's history.  You say you're better now.  So are we.  If we win what will the excuse be then?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104

Ok, it became obvious none of you ECU fans were going to answer my question, so I did a little research.  ECU was an independant NCAA 1-A team in 1932.  Until 1997 (C-USA), they were mostly Independant with some time spent in the North State Conference, Carolinas Conference, and Southern Conference.  They have 5 conference championships, 1 in North State and 4 in Southern (someone tell me if you have heard of these extinct conferences, maybe they are 2-A?).

Anyway, started football in 1932 and won a Bowl game in 1978.  Come back in 46 years to see if we have won a bowl game yet.  Or a few weeks, whatever.

The Southern Conference is still around ....In fact the D2 National Champion in 05 and 06 is from that league...Appalachian State

Theres no comparison between what ECU has done and what the future holds for USF or ECU....Its a silly argument...USF has a great opportunity to become a powerhouse in football...As for ECU...we are what we are...Im not ashamed of any of our accomplishments and I dont understand why anyone would belittle either schools past achievements...It wont matter to any player on the field Dec. 23...I hope the USF team is as confident  as its fans of an easy victory...If so...It could be interesting.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I hope the USF team is as confident  as its fans of an easy victory...If so...It could be interesting.

You know as well as I that the coaches are planning this game.  Board banter is just that, with no bearing on reality.

In fact, you can look back ans see quotes from Leavitt telling the media that (insert school name here) is a very tough opponent and USF is going to have a real fight on their hands and will be lucky to win the game.  Etc etc.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104

You guys always talk about the years USF beat you as some of the worst years in your program's history.  You say you're better now.  So are we.  If we win what will the excuse be then?

The losses to USF have nothing to do with the next game...I really wish my ECU brethern would stfu about that ...Ive never made an excuse and wont if USF beats the hell out of us...Ill say the same thing I always say....We got beat by a better team today...Thats the only way Ive ever seen it...I hope that you can say the same if it doesnt turn out as you think....excuses are for losers

The losses to USF have nothing to do with the next game...I really wish my ECU brethern would stfu about that ...Ive never made an excuse and wont if USF beats the hell out of us...Ill say the same thing I always say....We got beat by a better team today...Thats the only way Ive ever seen it...I hope that you can say the same if it doesnt turn out as you think....excuses are for losers

You seem like a decent guy, upperdeck.  If there are more realistic ECU fans like yourself online, send them this way.  The guys that keep coming in and posting links to ECU's decades old accomplishments are laughable at best, and can be rather foolish.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

I love that they bring up beating NC State was a huge win. NC State was 3-9 this year, a much different team than we played.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187

Guess you are calling 99% of ECU fans losers...A certain "bad call" comes to mind..