• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your mission, Bulls!

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

It doesn't matter Moises. Most the kids wearing any other school's wear on campus probably grew up a fan of that team. You cannot just label them bandwagon because they go to USF and like FSU/Florida/Miami/Ohio State/Etc. some people are very passionate about sports and can't bring themselves to betray the team they've followed their whole life.

The problem is this many of our fans have a severe inferiority complex. They are afraid that USF is irrelevant to many students. In reality USF might not have the fans yet, but you cannot deny that the school is at least in the CONVERSATION with the Big 3 right now and is a great school academically.

You know what will get the large amounts of other schools' shirts and hats off campus? TIME.

USF didn't have a football program 10 years ago and Florida as a state is a college football CRAZED state. In the early 90s (the major sports growth period for todays students) there were three programs in the top 10 year in and out naturally those kids chose one.

In 20 or so years things will change. Kids will have grown up watching and knowing USF. They will choose USF not only because it's a good school, but because "they have a good football team"

Nagging those on campus now isn't solving anything, nor is it illegal in my book. Does it suck? Yes! Do I hate it? Yes! Is there anything you, me, or ANYONE can do? No. It's going to happen for the next few years, as it happens everywhere. Even when you get to the point of having a massive fanbase, your always going to have that kid walking around campus wearing another school's shirt.

Three words. Get over it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  38
  • Days Won:  0

People, people, people. We're getting distracted with this debate about USF's standing. The point is that they shouldn't be wearing other school's stuff in our "house." Peer pressure *DOES* work to a large degree. Can you imagine people walking around with FSU stuff at Florida? Granted these schools aren't our direct rivals (yet) but for crying out loud it makes us look bush league to let that happen. We need to start (verbally) cracking some skulls of these traitors.

It is always going to happen? Maybe.

Are these people idiots? Sure.

None of that changes the fact that we shouldn't let it happen without at least some ridicule for those people.

Get over it? I'm not staying up at night worrying about it but I also don't think encouraging people to make it uncomfortable for these people is that big of a deal.

Just because it happens elsewhere doesn't mean it should happen here. We should aim to have the highest standards -- not just put up with things.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  58

I dont care if your reason for attending USF was to tend a sick mother or for finianical reason. Once you are accepted and are attending USF wearing other teams garbage has got to stop. At least at the minimum, you shouldnt wear it on USF property. If you do, you're a tool, simple as that.

As for thinking USF is a secondary institution, I think that is the general preception. Among both the average joe and those on this board (although we dont want to admit it). Look, if there is a two page thread explaining why you went to USF over some other college, you know there is a problem. People that go to the top schools dont bother telling people why they went there. Hopefully, one day we will get there, but  doubt it. Thats just the way things are. I still love USF and am gratefull for my diploma but I do realise we are not the best school academically.

I gotta call shullbit on that one. That's ri-got-dang-diculous. Perhaps said insistence is the reason why, as you say, people are "thinking USF is a secondary institution". Why would a first-rate institution care if I wear my alma mater's gear? I love USF, am grateful for my diploma, AND I believe are an excellent school academically. Same goes for UMBC. Further, if it weren't for my undergrad alma mater, I would never BE at USF. Why in blue hell would I jump ship and stop wearing it?! Quite frankly, I think THAT would show a lack of character.

What/Who is UMBC, is that like the University of Phoenix? Do they have a football team? If not, I think we are talking apples to oranges. I really dont think most people would get offended if you wore your Community College shirt on the USF campus. If you didnt attend the university, dont wear the crap on USF campuses or at the games.

First of all, do your homework before you go insulting my alma mater. The University of Maryland, Baltimore County. www.umbc.edu's a good place to start, though the Princeton Review'll give you some quality information too. Maybe you won't sound so uneducated next time. And no, we don't have a football team. But what if we did? I have other friends of mine--now fellow USF alums--who got their undergraduate degrees from FSU and UF. What, pray tell, is your reasoning for them abandoning their alma maters because they chose to pursue a graduate degree? I would think that someone who wishes to foster pride in their alma mater would be supportive of such things.

And if you happen to be in the DC area over the holidays, I think the winningest program in collegiate chess is headed to the Final Four again. No, it's not a sport. But it's not bad for a "community college".

http://sta.umbc.edu/orgs/chess/Pan-Am2006/

Here are the official rules to wearing college clothing

1. There are no rules to wearing college clothing except at for two cases.

a. At a college sporting event

b. At a college campus

For case a)

If you are attending a college sporting event you may either:

a. Wear clothing associated with the home team

b. Wear clothing associated with the visiting team

c. Wear unassociated clothing (ex. something from the gap)

What you cannot wear while attending a college sporting event:

a. If you are a student of one of the teams playing, you will not, under any circumstance, I dont care if you grew up watching them or not, wear the opposing teams gear.

b. Wear clothing of any other college teams not currently playing on the field of said event.

For case B)

While on a college campus you may wear clothing with that college's logo or unaffiliated clothing only.

So, suppose you graduate from FSU and decide to get a degree at USF. That's just fine, be proud of FSU, just dont wear their crap on the USF campus or at our games. At home, do as you please.

These are very simple rules and they are official. Any questions or clarifications, please feel free to ask.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

It doesn't matter Moises. Most the kids wearing any other school's wear on campus probably grew up a fan of that team. You cannot just label them bandwagon because they go to USF and like FSU/Florida/Miami/Ohio State/Etc. some people are very passionate about sports and can't bring themselves to betray the team they've followed their whole life.

The problem is this many of our fans have a severe inferiority complex. They are afraid that USF is irrelevant to many students. In reality USF might not have the fans yet, but you cannot deny that the school is at least in the CONVERSATION with the Big 3 right now and is a great school academically.

You know what will get the large amounts of other schools' shirts and hats off campus? TIME.

USF didn't have a football program 10 years ago and Florida as a state is a college football CRAZED state. In the early 90s (the major sports growth period for todays students) there were three programs in the top 10 year in and out naturally those kids chose one.

In 20 or so years things will change. Kids will have grown up watching and knowing USF. They will choose USF not only because it's a good school, but because "they have a good football team"

Nagging those on campus now isn't solving anything, nor is it illegal in my book. Does it suck? Yes! Do I hate it? Yes! Is there anything you, me, or ANYONE can do? No. It's going to happen for the next few years, as it happens everywhere. Even when you get to the point of having a massive fanbase, your always going to have that kid walking around campus wearing another school's shirt.

Three words. Get over it.

Notice how I underlined my comment. I am referring to the students who's only excuse to wear UF and other school's stuff is "USF sucks."  Those are the ones with the inferiority complex.  Again, if you went to Duke, UF, UM, or if you grew up a fan of them I have no right to be frustrated with you.   As for those that think "We suck" you are right, we are not going to change their minds for a while, so all we can do is express our frustration here. I'm not advocating a beat down on the next student you see wearing UF crap, just smile throw your bulls sign and keep walking.

People, people, people. We're getting distracted with this debate about USF's standing. The point is that they shouldn't be wearing other school's stuff in our "house." Peer pressure *DOES* work to a large degree. Can you imagine people walking around with FSU stuff at Florida? .

Did you not read what I wrote above. My bestfriend's roomate at UF was the biggest Nole fan I've ever met. He got razzled from a rival standpoint, but still wore a hat, etc. around campus.

Notice how I underlined my comment. I am referring to the students who's only excuse to wear UF and other school's stuff is "USF sucks."  Those are the ones with the inferiority complex.  Again, if you went to Duke, UF, UM, or if you grew up a fan of them I have no right to be frustrated with you.   As for those that think "We suck" you are right, we are not going to change their minds for a while, so all we can do is express our frustration here. I'm not advocating a beat down on the next student you see wearing UF crap, just smile throw your bulls sign and keep walking.

I agree with you there. I didn't see it much, but there was the occasional "USF sucks." Most the time their reasoning was rarely football however.

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

b. At a college campus

For case a)

a. If you are a student of one of the teams playing, you will not, under any circumstance, I dont care if you grew up watching them or not, wear the opposing teams gear.

b. Wear clothing of any other college teams not currently playing on the field of said event.

For case B)

While on a college campus you may wear clothing with that college's logo or unaffiliated clothing only.

So, suppose you graduate from FSU and decide to get a degree at USF. That's just fine, be proud of FSU, just dont wear their crap on the USF campus or at our games. At home, do as you please.

These are very simple rules and they are official. Any questions or clarifications, please feel free to ask.

A question--"official" as per whom? You can go ahead and abide by your rules, I'll continue to defy them. I can ALMOST grasp our rules as far as being at a game, you should absolutely support your team. That said, the night we played Louisville I rocked my USF hat to the basketball game of the school at which I work. I had to be at that game, and I had on that shirt, but I was wearing a USF hat too because I still and always will support my alma mater.

Anywhere on a college campus? that's ridiculous. Following that logic, my office wouldn't be full of spirit items for both of my alma maters. And "at home do as you please"? What of those in live-in/on positions where "at home" is on a college campus?

You wanna follow your rules? Knock yourself out. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  38

Did you not read what I wrote above. My bestfriend's roomate at UF was the biggest Nole fan I've ever met. He got razzled from a rival standpoint, but still wore a hat, etc. around campus.

Despite using the comparison, ultimately I don't care what happens at UF. If EVERYONE at UF wore FSU hats I still wouldn't want to see ONE FSU hat at USF.

As I said before, we should aim to have the highest standards. Whatever might happen elsewhere, it still doesn't look good to have a lot of other schools stuff on our campus. Not everyone is willing to put up with catching grief everywhere they go for wearing a hat or a t-shirt.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461

If you are on campus and you see someone wearing another school's clothing, go up to them and say something! (Be nice and explain to them the importance of Bull spirit/pride.)

No offense but screw that "be nice" crap .... If you see someone in another school's gear just see to it that they "disappear". Enough of them start coming up missing and word will spread...

In all honesty, on paper your plan sounds doable but the only ones we'd have a chance with were FSU fans. The Gator fans are too pompous and bandwagoning to be swayed and the UM fans are too dense and thug-like so YOUR life may be in danger.

SECOND!

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  58

b. At a college campus

For case a)

For case B)

A question--"official" as per whom? You can go ahead and abide by your rules, I'll continue to defy them. I can ALMOST grasp our rules as far as being at a game, you should absolutely support your team. That said, the night we played Louisville I rocked my USF hat to the basketball game of the school at which I work. I had to be at that game, and I had on that shirt, but I was wearing a USF hat too because I still and always will support my alma mater.

Anywhere on a college campus? that's ridiculous. Following that logic, my office wouldn't be full of spirit items for both of my alma maters. And "at home do as you please"? What of those in live-in/on positions where "at home" is on a college campus?

You wanna follow your rules? Knock yourself out. You do it your way, and I'll do it mine.

LittleDrummerBoy,

If you dont abide by the official rules I will sic BigDrummerBoy after you. Believe me, you dont want that :)