• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaches Challenge for a Review

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  242
  • Days Won:  0

This may have already been discussed, but does anyone have a take on the lack of response by CJL by not challenging the play where Ian Randolph scored on his TD run?  The official completely missed the call and was in good position to make the correct call.  The  TV broadcast showed several replays and he was clearly in bounds and scored.  I don't recall USF challenging that call , but lined up for the next play from scrimmage.  Fortuantely, the Review Official did their job.  Also, this occurred in the 4th quarter on the horrendous spot the officials gave us when the receiver (don't recall who it was) was thrown back behind the yard marker and thus short on the third down play.  He actually caught the ball for the first down.  Again, the Review Official changed the call on the field and we were awarded the 1st down. I would have thought that CJL would have been more vocal, which I have seen him do on a bad officiating call, but was somewhat restrained.  My only thought was that he was confident we would have eventually scored the TD or pick-up that crucial 1st down.  Any thoughts?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think most coaches will line up after plays like that and wait, hoping that they review it.  If they don't, then the coach will ask for a challege.  If we were on defense and didn't have the luxury of waiting, he may have called for it.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

Most replays come from the both. Coaches have the option of challanging only once and a loss of time out will result in a call that is not overturned. Also, in terms of the Ian Randolph play, Leavitt is on the opposite side of the field and can not see that. I know the coaches in the both have some access to montiors, but it is still a rough one. If WVU goes down and scores late, you will need all the timeouts you can get.

I do like how we have conserved our timeouts much better this year. I remember in years past we would burn all of our timeouts by the end of the third and 90% of them were do to being misaligned on defense or special teams.