• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jim Leavitt NOT Mentioned for Coaching Vacancies

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Mark Schlabach (ESPN.COM College Football Writer) was on Cold Pizza today talking about the coaching carosel.

Alabama: Bobby Petrino, Rich Rodriguez, Jim Grobe

NC State: Bill Cower, Norm Chow, Paul Johnson, Jim Dunham

Arizona State: Norm Chow, Mike Leech

They didn't get to Miami... so it's possible that Leavitt would have been mentioned.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Mark Schlabach (ESPN.COM College Football Writer) was on Cold Pizza today talking about the coaching carosel.

Alabama: Bobby Petrino, Rich Rodriguez, Jim Grobe

NC State: Bill Cower, Norm Chow, Paul Johnson, Jim Dunham

Arizona State: Norm Chow, Mike Leech

They didn't get to Miami... so it's possible that Leavitt would have been mentioned.

Bill Cowher?????  Ehhhhhh?  :-?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

NC State grad, who is building a new house in Raleigh and has declined discussions for a contract extension in Pittsburgh. Highly doubtful he goes there, but he's done in Pitt this year, so it will be a name for the job.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Wake Forest's Grobe is pretty much going to get a good look especially if they beat Ga Tech. I dont think WF has the money to keep him from leaving to a Bama. The thing that Mark said about Bama is that it wont be easy to get a good coach there right now because of what happened to Shula. Coaches are smart in that they know Bama has very little patient. Coaches want more job security than what Bama can ever offer.

Shula got 4 years at Bama and had one winning season (so far), there have been coaches at bad programs canned quicker.

I don't think Grobe is the name Bama wants. They are Alabama, trust me they are going to try and go as big as they can on this one.

I think you could see Grobe at NC State, ASU, or Miami.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Shula had to do the dirty work at Bama while Dennis Fran left them high and dry. It was pretty stupid to can Shula that quick in my opinion just because you went 0-4 against Auburn. Many big name coaches wont want to put up with that crap. You can tell that the next coach will be controlled by the boosters which is why Leavitt is no fool to go for that crap. Any coach that goes there will have to compete with the ghost of Bear Bryant. This aint the past. Bama is not what it used to be, so I really dont see them coming out good on this one.  Maybe they can get a coach that is on the hot seat like a Gruden, but there is no way that Rich or Schiano leave to kill their coaching career at Bama. Talk about little room for error. What is sad is that Bama might lose out on Robert Marve over the firing of Shula. Marve really liked Shula, so I wont be suprised if Marve decomitted from Bama.

I'm sure losing to 3-9 Mississippi State and letting Duke hang close til the 4th quarter really helped his cause.

Daly, any coach at any big schools (and even USF one day) is going to have influence of the boosters. Why? Because they pay most of their salary.

It's a shame that Bama cut Shula with the troubles of the major sanctions they've had, but to say the second most successful football program is done is a bit shortsighted. They get the right guy in there Alabama will own the SEC West again and LSU and Auburn will go back to playing second fiddle. They controlled that side of the conference until the sanctions laid down.

Simply put just like ND, Florida, and any other "top" program finishing 9th in your conference is NOT going to keep your job.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

I am not concerned about Leavitt.  I am more concerned about our Assistants.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  136
  • Days Won:  0

On ESPN a while ago they were talking about the Alabama vacancy and the reporter said they are going to talk to Leavitt as well as other candidates.  I am pretty sure he's not going anywhere, but I am sure Bama is going to try.

I'll reinterate it, Alabama is going for someone HUGE. I love CJL as much as everyone else, but Leavitt is not the name the boosters are looking for.

He'll get some looks by NC State and Miami, and probably will get in for a talk with Bama.

However, I don't see him going anywhere.