• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'd rather have Jeff Bowden...

Guest JulmisteForPrez

While I have to admit Jeff Bowden is DEFINITELY not better than Rod Smith, I also have to admit that some of our fellow board mates here are giving him way too much slack.  

Yes, the o-line did not play well (see my other posts), but it's also very foolish to run your QB so much when you have a guy in Ponton that was starting to get into a groove until you doled out his carries to Grothe and Williams.

And why are we trying to be so conservative and kill clock with 4:21 left in the first half down by only 7????  That's ridiculous.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

cmon lets be serious.   jeff bowden and fsu did LESS with MORE than any coaching staff EVER.  fsu argueably has more talent than any team in the country (according to rivals and scout.com year after year), and because of jeff bowden and the rest of the staff, the team has to settle with mediocracy.  player progression has been virtually non-existent the last few years at fsu..its the only school i can think of where players graduate after four years and have not developed on the field AT ALL since they walked in the door on day 1.  jeff bowden deserves to die of ghonnorhea and rot in hell.  may god have mercy on his soul.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
cmon lets be serious.   jeff bowden and fsu did LESS with MORE than any coaching staff EVER.  fsu argueably has more talent than any team in the country (according to rivals and scout.com year after year), and because of jeff bowden and the rest of the staff, the team has to settle with mediocracy.  player progression has been virtually non-existent the last few years at fsu..its the only school i can think of where players graduate after four years and have not developed on the field AT ALL since they walked in the door on day 1.  [highlight]jeff bowden deserves to die of ghonnorhea and rot in hell.  may god have mercy on his soul[/highlight].

:-?

Dude.....I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and take that as sarcasm.  Even still.....cool it.  That's inappropriate, no matter how much you might be kidding.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Mid...Haven't seen Ace Ventura have you?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

haha your an idiot.  its from ace ventura like Joe said.  do urself a favor and go watch a good movie.

What does watching a good movie have to do with "Ace Ventura"?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Well, I've seen Ace Ventura, but not for quite awhile.  I thought it was funny once or twice, but certainly not worth watching enough times to memorize lines.

So if that makes me an "idiot," LG, then consider me ecstatic to be an idiot.

::)

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry tb, if I had jumped off the "bandwagon"  it would have been at Pitt or Uconn last year.  The two worst rushing defenses in the BE last year, and Rod gave up on the run (with Andre Hall no less).  It's been a year, and he looks just as incompetent.  Rod Smith cannot call a good offensive game unless we seriously outman the competetion, period.  He is impatient, gimmicky and afraid to run the football.    

Sure Louisville is a very good team, but not as good as we made them look.  The offensive line was having trouble, but the coaches didn't do anything to help them out.  

Here's a little lesson for you: a draw is what you call when the passing game is working and you want to catch the D-line off guard, think fake pass.  A QB draw should only be called 1-2 times a game in short to mid-yardage range, and not when your QB is hurt and especially not when the D puts a spy on him.  A reverse is something you call once a game when the defense is overpursuing the running backs.  If it is your staple offensive play, then you are in BIG trouble.  If you want to use speed to beat guys on the corners, how about the ole toss sweep?      

This downright BAD playcalling has got to stop.  If not we may fail to produce points against ANY decent defense (that's done it's homework).  Seriously, what the f is wrong with lining up and handing off to your #1 RB?  When they did, Ponton made positive gains...        

As for the fsu offensive woes, don't pin it all on Jeff.  Bobby not instilling discipline is what has killed the once mighty FSU war machine... to have a QB (allready in trouble) miss classes, park in handi-capped spots and not even get in a whiff of trouble well that just opened the door.  Or how about a placekicker that was always getting in trouble missing curfews and getting into fights.  Bobby let him get away with it.  Or what about the QB and his roomates that almost started a chemical fire in the dorms (way back in 95)?  Or how about the free shoes U scandal, where a thief was allowed to stay just to give them a chance at the national championship?  Yeah Jeff stunk it up, but the rot in that program goes all the way to the top.  Jeff was the "squeaky wheel".  The fsu boosters will figure it out now sooner than later.  

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Sorry tb, if I had jumped off the "bandwagon"  it would have been at Pitt or Uconn last year.  The two worst rushing defenses in the BE last year, and Rod gave up on the run (with Andre Hall no less).  It's been a year, and he looks just as incompetent.  Rod Smith cannot call a good offensive game unless we seriously outman the competetion, period.  He is impatient, gimmicky and afraid to run the football.    

Sure Louisville is a very good team, but not as good as we made them look.  The offensive line was having trouble, but the coaches didn't do anything to help them out.  

Here's a little lesson for you: a draw is what you call when the passing game is working and you want to catch the D-line off guard, think fake pass.  A QB draw should only be called 1-2 times a game in short to mid-yardage range, and not when your QB is hurt and especially not when the D puts a spy on him.  A reverse is something you call once a game when the defense is overpursuing the running backs.  If it is your staple offensive play, then you are in BIG trouble.  If you want to use speed to beat guys on the corners, how about the ole toss sweep?      

This downright BAD playcalling has got to stop.  If not we may fail to produce points against ANY decent defense (that's done it's homework).  [highlight]Seriously, what the f is wrong with lining up and handing off to your #1 RB?  When they did, Ponton made positive gains...[/highlight]        

As for the fsu offensive woes, don't pin it all on Jeff.  Bobby not instilling discipline is what has killed the once mighty FSU war machine... to have a QB (allready in trouble) miss classes, park in handi-capped spots and not even get in a whiff of trouble well that just opened the door.  Or how about a placekicker that was always getting in trouble missing curfews and getting into fights.  Bobby let him get away with it.  Or what about the QB and his roomates that almost started a chemical fire in the dorms (way back in 95)?  Or how about the free shoes U scandal, where a thief was allowed to stay just to give them a chance at the national championship?  Yeah Jeff stunk it up, but the rot in that program goes all the way to the top.  Jeff was the "squeaky wheel".  The fsu boosters will figure it out now sooner than later.  

THANK YOU!!!!  That's exactly the point.  Any success Rod Smith has had at USF (and that aint a whole lot) has only been the few times where his gimmicky little trick plays have actually fooled the opposing defense, or when Matt Grothe's improvisational skills and accurate passing have bailed him out.  He is INCAPABLE of creating an offense that consistently puts together sustained drives through a balanced attack of non-trick plays.  He refuses to hand the ball off to Ponton (for some reason).  Julmiste wasn't able to make his horrible play-calling look good at times like Grothe has done from time to time this year.

We all agree that the O-line has been very crappy, yes.  But let's not try to deflect the criticism due Rod Smith for his Rich Rodriguez wanna-be offense.  And I do stress WANNA-BE, because it isn't even in the same stratosphere.

Rod's got to go........and if Leavitt won't muster the gumption to break out the ax, so then must he!

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I am not a bash Rod Smith guy but there were several things I noticed that I thought pointed back to play-calling:

1.  It seems like every time we get inside the 10 yard line and have a first down the call is a QB sneak.  Everybody knows it is coming and it is time to do something different.  I would say roll MG out and give him a run pash option, or hand the ball off to Ponton and let him smash it in.  Fake the reverse and hand off to Ponton.  Anything except a flat designed QB draw.  It is too predictable at this point.

2.  Every single time we brought one of the WR's in motion across the backfield and handed the ball off to Ponton he gained 5-10 yards.  Every single time.  Why...because the threat of the reverse was there and it froze the defense just long enough to get a pretty good hole.  But we only ran that play 2-3 times.  Why...I have no idea because it was there every single time.  Go to the well until they stop it and then the WR handoff would be there.

3.  Either we have totally abandoned the slant or it just isn't being called.  When Louisville was pinning back their ears and coming at MG we should have called the slant or something that was a quick-hitter.  I can't think of one time that a slant was called all night in the first 3 quarters.

I thought the game showed very poor play calling.  But that wasn't the major problem.  The major problem was that we did not score on the drive inside the 10 and the entire team gave up.  Our team, for some reason, needs to get up early or they just fold...unlike earlier in the year.  I knew when we did not put the ball in the end-zone and Louisville went down and scored that the game was over.  We folded at that point.  It was like the defense said, "Oh well, the Offense isn't going to score so we are going to lose anyway."  I think the team just gave up and that was what was most disappointing.