• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Great American Teach-In:  Thanks to USF!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

For those who don't know, USF student-athletes participated in the Great American Teach-In at various schools around Tampa yesterday.  I participate in this every year and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to meet and sit in a presentation with a few of USF's athletes at Roosevelt Elementary... and even got to see Jeanette Dyer juggle a soccer ball (way cool).

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=690227

I want to thank USF for making these student-athletes available and for taking the time to do community-outreach events like this.  I can assure you that the kids appreciated their presence, and I hope that you'll continue to do stuff like this in the future.

Thanks again,

Matt

PS - Here's a shot of Chris Capko from the Men's B-Ball team speaking with kindergarten kids at Gorrie Elementary in South Tampa.

XQHMAEFMHFOOBFK.20061115205424.jpg

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

That is one thing that I admire about Coach Robert McCullum. He is a driving force about encouraging the players to get involved in the community. I know he has the team participating at the Paint Your Heart OUT Tampa which is a good thing.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

More Good Stuff from USF Athletes:

Courtesy USF SID Office

TAMPA, Fla. (November 16, 2006) -- University of South Florida student-athletes will be hosting a food drive this weekend in conjunction with the men's basketball game Friday night and the women's game Saturday afternoon.

Any fan making a gameday purchase at the Sun Dome will receive half off the best available seats when bringing two non-perishable food items.

The men's team hosts South Carolina State at 7 p.m. Friday night while the women face Texas Southern at 2 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.

The food drive is being sponsored by the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  662
  • Days Won:  0

Wish they would have mentioned the USF cheerleaders :( We went to Mitchell Middle School in Plant City to talk to 2 classes about what it means to be a college athlete and to encourage kids to stay in school. It was particularly special for me, having overcoming a learning disability, to talk to the special needs students.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Jenna, I didn't realize the cheerleaders were participating too!  Regardless of the publicity, I think it's a great thing that your team takes the time out to spend with these kids.  It really does make a huge impression on them, and hopefully cultivates a few more Bulls fans down the road!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Jenna, I agree with everything Matt said.  Hopefully next year perhaps some will come to Pinellas County where I teach.  We appreciate all you do for USF and kids!