• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Freshmen Lead On Senior Day

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBL2HYSEUE.html

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Nov 12, 2006

TAMPA - So much for senior day. Instead, it was a couple of freshman roommates who sparked the University of South Florida's 27-10 victory against Syracuse on Saturday.

Quarterback Matt Grothe threw for a school-record 364 yards and two touchdowns and kicker Delbert Alvarado booted a Big East record 56-yard field goal as the Bulls belted the Orange.

"The seniors have done a lot for this program," Grothe said. "When they walked out before the game, I don't want to say it brought tears to my eyes, but it made me sad. It's weird thinking I won't play on this field with them again. I'll miss those guys."

USF seniors aren't going anywhere just yet with huge road games at nationally ranked Louisville and West Virginia the next two weekends. While USF's most likely postseason destination is the Birmingham Bowl, USF coach Jim Leavitt said the Bulls still could make a run at the Big East title.

"I would imagine at this point, we'll go to a bowl," Leavitt said. "Now let's play for a [big East] championship. Stranger things have happened since the beginning of time."

The Bulls (7-3, 3-2) would have to not only upset Louisville and West Virginia, but also would need undefeated Rutgers to lose twice.

The Orange (3-7, 0-5) weren't much of a problem for USF before an announced Raymond James Stadium crowd of 29,654. Syracuse lost its 12th consecutive Big East game, while the Bulls ended a three-year losing streak in home finales.

"Senior day, it was awesome," USF senior linebacker Patrick St. Louis said. "I read it [we had lost three consecutive senior days] in the paper, so I made sure our offense, defense, special teams, everybody laid it on the line."

They did. The Bulls simply dominated Syracuse. Behind Grothe and wide receiver Taurus Johnson (five catches, 131 yards, including a 79-yard TD), the offense rolled up a season-high 514 yards.

"We did some good things, but we were really ugly at times," Leavitt said. "We tried to let them back in the game."

Grothe's career-high 409 yards total offense and 71.4 completion percentage (25 of 35) both ranked as the second-best in USF history. That was more than enough to compensate for 10 USF penalties and three turnovers.

"Grothe's good for a senior, a freshman, sophomore or junior," Leavitt said.

USF's defense registered a school-record tying seven sacks, including a team-high two by Chris Robinson, who just happens to be a freshman.

Senior linebacker Stephen Nicholas had one of USF's seven sacks and also made his second career interception.

"Stephen Nicholas has simply taken over the game," Leavitt said. "He's a force out there."

The Bulls' offensive line also did their part. Syracuse's defense was ninth nationally in sacks, averaging 3.2 a game, but was held without a sack against USF.

The Orange took an early 3-0 lead, but the Bulls responded with 13 points. Grothe hit senior S.J. Green for a 6-yard TD pass and Alvarado added field goals from 47 and 56 yards. The 56-yarder came on the final play of the half, giving the Bulls a 13-3 halftime lead.

"It was one of the greatest feelings I've had," Alvarado said.

In the third quarter, USF all but sealed the contest when Grothe found Johnson running free down the middle for a 79-yard touchdown pass and a 20-3 cushion. Early in the fourth quarter, SU pulled within 20-10 on a 27-yard pass from Perry Patterson to Mike Williams.

The Orange wouldn't come any closer. Midway through the fourth quarter, USF's George Selvie recovered a Syracuse fumble at SU's 3. Offensive coordinator Rod Smith then replaced Grothe with backup Pat Julmiste, who began the season as USF's starter.

"Rod wanted a bigger quarterback in there," Leavitt said. "Give him credit to get [Julmiste] in there. I can't steal it to say I got [Julmiste] in there. Rod wanted him in there to score the touchdown."

One play later, Julmiste did just that - banging over from the 3. Fittingly, USF's final TD on senior day was by a senior.

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Hey!  that was my **** title!!

http://www.southfloridabulls.com/Sports/Football/Bulls%20Football.htm

Cheaters.   ;)

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

So for a big east tittle we'd need rutgers to lose 3? (is it even possible?) and we'd need to beat Ul and WVU who each have 1 loss (which works out).

But do Rutgers even have 3 games left???

Nonetheless, I think the fact that two of the greatest minds in sports journalism both see the potential ahead of the Bulls in noting that it was indeed the freshmen that led.  I don't think Greg mentioned it, but Selvie's a frosh too - his recovery set up Julmiste and sealed it.

So for a big east tittle we'd need rutgers to lose 3? (is it even possible?) and we'd need to beat Ul and WVU who each have 1 loss (which works out).

Rutgers has Cincy and Syracuse left...coast...

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Think about this: if we had beaten Rutgers and every other conference game ended the way they have to this point, then there would be 4 1 loss teams in the Big East. USF would technically be in first place with a tie breaker over Rutgers, who would in turn have the tie breaker over Louisville, who would in turn have the tie breaker over WVU.

So **** close!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

This is a young team and excited about them fighting the next 2 weeks.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

what was the reaction for the seniors on senior day, particularly julmiste?  i hope there were a lot more cheers than boos.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

I didn't really hear much with the Beef Studs chanting and yelling at the 'Cuse players.

I know for sure that I made lots of noise when they named PJ...he has given us a lot, and doesn't have respect from many.  I was extremely pissed when he didn't start... I don't care...it could have been for one play and then taken him out.  Granted, he did have the last TD, but I think it was sort of disrespectful.  Grothe would have still played most of the game...just not the start.

On another note...this was the last football game of my undergrad life...  :(  And it didn't end on a good note because of some ********.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  339

Other freshman accounted for 3 sacks (both D-ends).

Murphy, also a freshman, had a nice game as well.

Finish this year strong and things are certainly looking bright for next year!!!