• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two things that doomed WVU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

The fumbles and the unsportsmanlike penalties that they committed. Take away those two things then you would of had a nail bitter last night. I feel for Cincy because they have to go to Morgantown next week to face WVU. Cincy has a great defense, but I still think WVU will take it out on Cincy. The new BIG EAST is becoming a beast if you ask me. I like just having 8 teams for right now because it gives us kind of a round robin type of conference in where we really get to know the other teams. This was not the case in C-USA because it was too big. USF did not even get to play against Tulane in our two year stay which kind of put a downer on the scheduling. Keep this conference 8 strong, and everything will be fine.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Not to mention their D was softer than cream cheese between the line and the secondary.  Every single play, Louisville had a guy sitting 10 yards out in front of the secondary waiting to make a catch for 13-15 yards.

I hope our coaches were paying attention.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Not to mention their D was softer than cream cheese between the line and the secondary.  Every single play, Louisville had a guy sitting 10 yards out in front of the secondary waiting to make a catch for 13-15 yards.

I hope our coaches were paying attention.

You can do that when you use the run and the ball handling ability of the QB to set those plays up.  Something we need to do.  When you run play action fakes and draw the LBs towards the line a bit, there should be some open space.  We very rarely (that I see anyway) run play actions.  Grothe is one of the best ball handlers I have seen in college.  Let him use it more often.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  0

The play action was successful last night for UL.  In another post, I mentioned how much Cover 3 WVU was playing last night with both CB's and the FS about 20 yards deep.  It was difficult to see just from watching how much blitzing they were doing with the 3 LB's and the WS and SS.  It could have been a tremendous job of pass protection that allowed all those easy catches.  In general, teams that run 3-3-5 type defenses like to bring 5 rushers in passing situations.  Obviously, I couldn't really tell by watching on TV but if anyone taped the game, it would be interesting to see how many times they blitzed 5 or more last night.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

84-great point

wv has no defense fellas

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

And short, short cornerbacks.

How many times did 6-6 Urrutia burn that 5-10 corner?  Only all night long.

Time to use us some Amarri Jackson!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

The fumbles and the unsportsmanlike penalties that they committed. Take away those two things then you would of had a nail bitter last night. I feel for Cincy because they have to go to Morgantown next week to face WVU. Cincy has a great defense, but I still think WVU will take it out on Cincy. The new BIG EAST is becoming a beast if you ask me. I like just having 8 teams for right now because it gives us kind of a round robin type of conference in where we really get to know the other teams. This was not the case in C-USA because it was too big. USF did not even get to play against Tulane in our two year stay which kind of put a downer on the scheduling. Keep this conference 8 strong, and everything will be fine.

I don't agree, sure that was critical in the context of the score, i.e. probably one less TD for UL, and one more for WVU.  What lost the game last night for WVU was their defense's inability to stop UL.  Sure WVU's offense racked up yards, but UL had a number of pivotal stops, in the 2nd half WVU couldn't stop, hell the entire game they couldn't stop UL.  UL is the only thing that stopped UL's offense last night.

To be more specific WVU's defensive coaches did an awful job calling that game all night.  They were always one step behind UL's offense, the LB's would bite on play action and brohm would go over top, or between the LB's and safeties, they'd drop to dime coverage or pull out of blitzes and Brohm would check to run, or a screen.  He absolutely killed them all night and WVU had zero answers, nothing to stop them.  

Sure WVU could have not fumbled, or had a personal foul penalty, but UL could have kept the foot on the peddle with 4 minutes left and the ball on the 45.   They ran it to run out the clock.  That score easily could have, and normally would have given Petrino's tendencies, been 56-34, but he didn't almost like he didn't want to humilitate WVU to much for fear of them falling to far in the national ranks.  Literally when they were up by 17 with less than 5 minutes to go and they stopped WVU on the 45, normally Petrino would have kept the high octane going,but he didn't.  UL dominated that game.

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  358

... the unsportsmanlike penalties that they committed...

I thought they got a raw deal on some of those penalties.  Refs called a late hit after the ball was dead against WVU.  On the replay, it looked like the hit occured a split second after the ball was dead, which the WVU player wouldn't have known, since he's looking at the defender.

Also, there should have been a face mask against UL that wasn't called.