• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pittsburgh (6–2) at South Florida (5–3)

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Athlon Sports

Published: November 1st, 2006

Pittsburgh (6–2) at South Florida (5–3)

Game Time: Saturday, Nov. 4 at noon ET

These two teams are hoping bye weeks healed all wounds –– emotionally and physically.

South Florida is one win away from qualifying for a bowl, but is coming off a 23–6 loss to Cincinnati in which QB Matt Grothe gashed his nose. The redshirt freshman had his worst game of the season, completing 11-of-21 passes for 47 yards.

And Pittsburgh’s pass defense may not provide much salve. The Panthers are ranked 22nd nationally against the pass, allowing an average of 161.2 yards a game through the air. And while USF is averaging 24 points a game, Pitt is allowing an average of but 14.1, 13th best nationally.

South Florida’s hope is to get its running game back on track. The Panthers are allowing an average of 133.63 yards there, which ranks 61st nationally. On the flip side, though, the Bulls will have to do a better job against the run in order to pull off the upset. Pitt isn’t exactly a juggernaut on the ground, but tailback LaRod Stephens-Howling is the Big East’s No 5 rusher, averaging 88.3 yards a game.

USF does seem to have a chance, however, against fine Pitt quarterback Tyler Palko, who has 1,830 yards passing this season and is the nation’s No. 2 man in pass efficiency. The Bulls are giving up an average of 166.75 yards through the air, 26th best nationally.

Also, home is where USF plays best. While Pittsburgh’s last outing was a 20–10 loss to Rutgers, the Bulls nearly upset the Scarlet Knights, falling just 22–20 when a two-point conversion failed at the end of the game, at Raymond James Stadium.

Pittsburgh by 5

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

I'm so sick and tired of Pitt ****-kicking us every year. That, and Tyler Palko. How this guy got 14 years of eligibility, I'll never know. He's been their QB since what, 1992?!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

They'll be saying the same thing about Grothe in 2009... how in the hell do they get a qb like grothe for 14 years!  he's been there since what 1996!

;D

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254

BasketBull...That game was against Louisville. We played WVU for homecoming last year. Good try though.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

BasketBull...That game was against Louisville. We played WVU for homecoming last year. Good try though.

:-/

Guest BasketBull.

I blame coffee! I saw it in the Homecoming edition of the Oracle and somehow made the connection without really giving it a second thought.  ;D  ...the glove doesn't fit, I'm not to be blamed!

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,297

USF needs to establish the running game.  Leavitt can't abandoned the running game......I hate to use this phrase but they really need to pound the rock, set up some good blocks off the line, and control the game.  Once the running game gets going, Grothe should have time in the pocket to make some nice throws down field.  Eliminating turnovers and penalties will also be key.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  4,642

let's pray the constantly repeated qb draw gets some points...

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  1,297

I think we'll be OK if we control the game.  Running the ball will be huge.  If we can't run the ball........GAME OVER!!

I would really like to see Ponton get into a rhythm.