• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dennis Dodd skewers USF on CBSSPortsline.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Right here http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9747843

Here is the paragraphs where he gives USF a wedgie:

Tradition is the same reason we recognize USC, UCLA and LSU but wrinkle our brow when South Florida wants to be known as USF.

South Florida needs a few more decades and some championships to earn its initials. Tradition is the same reason schools like, oh, Georgia end up in the preseason poll each year whether they deserve it or not. It's called brand recognition.

The article was not even focused on USF.  Did that loss at Cincinnati on national TV provoke this jab?

Maybe a winning a few road games broadcast on national TV will earn us those initials.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Seems to me it's the school to the East that instists most upon being known by its acronym. I know I've heard it a little from us, but it seems to me we can't deny our South Florida moniker while it sits big and bold at the heart of our fight song.

• Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I think he should change that article to be about UC...I mean Central Florida.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

He's got a point there, ya' know?  The University of San Francisco is better known as USF than we are throughout the country at this point.  I think that will change in time, but it behooves us to go by South Florida at this point.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Just like dinner,  call me what ever you want but please just call me.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,067
  • Days Won:  469

He's got a point there, ya' know?  The University of San Francisco is better known as USF than we are throughout the country at this point.  I think that will change in time, but it behooves us to go by South Florida at this point.

Certainly wasn't earned by their football team was it?  What is their claim to fame other than being around longer. Bill Russell?  Anything else?  I think I heard something about their baseball team lst year.....Who really cares...they aren't known for much other than their PAST...we on the other have have a future ahead of us.

I had a friend from the San Fran area that sent me a USF (San Francisco) shirt as a joke.  Still have it and wear it from time to time.  

I ddin't read the Dodd article, but if he trying to make anything out of the USF name, that's just silly really.  Who cares?

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

Certainly wasn't earned by their football team was it?  What is their claim to fame other than being around longer. Bill Russell?  Anything else?  I think I heard something about their baseball team lst year.....Who really cares...they aren't known for much other than their PAST...we on the other have have a future ahead of us.

I had a friend from the San Fran area that sent me a USF (San Francisco) shirt as a joke.  Still have it and wear it from time to time.  

I ddin't read the Dodd article, but if he trying to make anything out of the USF name, that's just silly really.  Who cares?

further, we are usf.edu, while they are relegated to the regional usfca.edu.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

Certainly wasn't earned by their football team was it?  What is their claim to fame other than being around longer. Bill Russell?  Anything else?

FYI, three members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Ollie Matson, Bob St. Clair and Gino Marchetti) played college football at the University of San Francisco.  Pete Rozelle is also an alumnus.  It's going to be a long time before we would be able to claim four alumni in the Hall of Fame.  

But yes, their basketball team is more what they're known for.  Three national championships, and don't forget K.C. Jones is an alumnus along with Bill Russell.  

USFFan

Guest wildrover

All Dodd did was make people aware that USF and South Florida are the same animal.  I bet just a lot of people also call USC,  Southern Cal.  I know I've heard that a lot.  Honestly, whats in a name, if we win it won't matter what people call us.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,067
  • Days Won:  469

Good to know that USFFAN...I knew they had some good hoops, but honestly did not know about three NCs...