• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The way Grothe passed last night...I see why he's been doing more running than passing. Granted he's a freshman (redshirt), but terrible night none the less.

Don't know what you guys wanted from the playcalling, but we couldn't run, and Grothe didn't give our WR's much to work with. Just a bad overall game from the O...Playcalling was fine imo.

Anyone else see AJax and his alligator arms? Come on dude, make a catch, stop being such a panzy.

Rueb

Agree on all copunts.  That long pass should have been caught and his attempt to catch it was the definition of alligator arms.

For all Grothe's hype (on this board at least) he is really an average QB with average arm strength who turns the ball over too much.  Everyone's just so used to seeing below avg qbing that when they see an average one, they think he's the second coming.  

Sorry, but you are way off base here.  I have watched a ton of college football in my 40 years and Grothe is way above average.  His arm strength is not great, but acceptable.  His poise and feel for the game are way above average.  His accuracy is also way above average.  Grant it, against UC he lost the feel...but that happens even at the professional level.  Everyone has a bad game.

I'm not trying to knock him here because I understand he's a RS FR but he has as many TDs as he does int's.  That is the bottom line for a QB and that is the definition of average. i do think in two  years his ratio will be 2 TD's to 1 int but right now it is what it is.  

yeah I'm really ripping him a new one aren't I?   ::)  If you people think that is ripping the Qb you really need to check out some of the other boards.

I predicted that once someone wasn't all sunshine and roses about MG people would take such offense to it.  It's funny.  Did I say he sucks.  No.  Did I say he'snot goiong to be way above avg someday .  No.  In fact I said the opposite.  

Grow a thicker skin.  

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all Grothe's hype (on this board at least) he is really an average QB with average arm strength who turns the ball over too much.  Everyone's just so used to seeing below avg qbing that when they see an average one, they think he's the second coming.  

modified by Bulliever to strike Rueb's inappropriate comments in quote

wow.  it was predicted by some that when grothe had a bad game SOMEONE would be the one to jump on him like this, and I guess it's you.  you have exactly ONE game as evidence that he is just "average."  judging by his previous performances, that is a "below average" game for grothe.  what do you call that?  oh, yeah, a bad game.

just ignore all the stats that point to grothe being one of the best freshman QBs in the nation.

I think his main fault is fumbling thus far, he needs to protect it a little better.  but geez, average?  so quick to forget.  16 total TDs, 11 total TOs.

TD#'s = int#'s + Hasn't beaten a good defense yet = average QB.  Add in the tendency for fumbling and he is really toeing the line AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

....to say he is average and not really any better than what we have had in the past is just plain talking out your a$$....  

Direct quote from my post:

"Everyone's just so used to seeing below avg qbing that when they see an average one..."

Guess I'll have to spell the above out for you:  The QB's we've had in the past were BELOW AVERAGE, if we've already established that I think MG is AVERAGE, doesn't that mean I think he is better than our other QBs?  Maybe you're "just plain reading out of your a$$".   ::)

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

grothe is  far better than average and will be great if usf puts him in the best position(play the best players) and calls the correct plays

grothe has what it takes to lead a team to a conference title but he cant do it alone

beastie is certainly entitled to his opinion and i dont need to insult him because it is different than mine.furthermore we will find out in the ensuing years if grothe is average or better than average.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

modified by Bulliever to strike Rueb's inappropriate comments in quote

wow.  it was predicted by some that when grothe had a bad game SOMEONE would be the one to jump on him like this, and I guess it's you.  you have exactly ONE game as evidence that he is just "average."  judging by his previous performances, that is a "below average" game for grothe.  what do you call that?  oh, yeah, a bad game.

just ignore all the stats that point to grothe being one of the best freshman QBs in the nation.

I think his main fault is fumbling thus far, he needs to protect it a little better.  but geez, average?  so quick to forget.  16 total TDs, 11 total TOs.

TD#'s = int#'s + Hasn't beaten a good defense yet = average QB.  Add in the tendency for fumbling and he is really toeing the line AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

ok, but here is the problem I have with your statements.  one should be able to tell by his comeback and near comeback efforts and complete command under pressure that he is NOT AVERAGE.  you admit he's young and still learning, well ok.  but you have to account for that and look at everything else he does.  he has 1 more TD than INT.  some of those were not his fault (WRs).  Michael Vick has 7 TDs and 5 INTs and yet is 5th in fantasy (in my league).  that is not average.  he also runs the ball.  Grothe is on pace to be near the most RUSHING TDs USF has ever had in a season!  stats and intangibles BOTH point to him being better than average.  he had a bad game, that is all.  oh, and Vick only has 2 rushing TDs, grothe has 7.

no, i am not saying he is michael vick.  what I am saying is you need to evaluate all the stats if thats all you are going to mention.  his stats are among the best in the nation compared to freshman QBs.  his stats are also among the best in the big east among QBs.

I should not have to defend him after 1 game.

and btw, I was one of the few pointing to grothe as one of the main reasons we lost because he seemed off all night (whether wind, cold, just one of those nights, etc).  that was to point out it wasnt just coaching, but that is another topic.  the point is I realize he had a bad game and was a large part (along with all the other players that made mistakes) of the reason we lost.  players play.  but it was just 1 game, so i guess we'll see in future games what happens.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

grothe is  far better than average and will be great if usf puts him in the best position(play the best players) and calls the correct plays

grothe has what it takes to lead a team to a conference title but he cant do it alone

beastie is certainly entitled to his opinion and i dont need to insult him because it is different than mine.furthermore we will find out in the ensuing years if grothe is average or better than average.

agreed.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

....to say he is average and not really any better than what we have had in the past is just plain talking out your a$$....  

Direct quote from my post:

"Everyone's just so used to seeing below avg qbing that when they see an average one..."

Guess I'll have to spell the above out for you:  The QB's we've had in the past were BELOW AVERAGE, if we've already established that I think MG is AVERAGE, doesn't that mean I think he is better than our other QBs?  Maybe you're "just plain reading out of your a$$".   ::)

beastie I am not going to get in a pissing contest with you. You have your opinion and thats fine but all I am saying, is saying  that he is average, below average or super man after really one bad game is crazy. dont you agree? Take all the games that he has played including the UC game and take into account he has never played a down of D-1 football before this and judge. You your self said in the beginning " how can you all say he is so good, he has never played a down of D-1 football", but now you crown him as "average" after 7 games?? I have thick skin and have said four thousand times when he has a bad game I will agree and when he has a good one I will do the same. I guess " he had a bad game" = "average", in your opinion. So why dont we both stop talking and reading out our A$$!!!!!!  What if Matt came out and said he was transfering to a diff school I guess that would be ok with you cause I am sure there are several average QB's out there you can get. Alot has to improve on the off.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  96

One time when my Son was playing, The Coach told him he was good and would only get better.

I punched Him in the NOSE, you all R lucky MR.G is level headed, if it was my son I would follow your kids around a tell them how much they suck.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

Well....its nothing like that, its not like I am mad at beastie not in anyway shape or form. It a board of opinions and just that he gave his and I gave mine. Whan Matt goes out and lights it up and beats a team like Pitt or who knows it will show. But no body wants to "punch someone in the nose" unless beastie wants to punch me  LOL!  dont forget we are a family and brothers argue a little but its all good!! Bro if you follow around others kids then you got issues. ok should I go for 4001 times  LOL. you are not going to offend me by judging my kid, hell I am not offended now ,its not like that.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Well....its nothing like that, its not like I am mad at beastie not in anyway shape or form. It a board of opinions and just that he gave his and I gave mine. Whan Matt goes out and lights it up and beats a team like Pitt or who knows it will show. But no body wants to "punch someone in the nose" unless beastie wants to punch me  LOL!  dont forget we are a family and brothers argue a little but its all good!! Bro if you follow around others kids then you got issues. ok should I go for 4001 times  LOL. you are not going to offend me by judging my kid, hell I am not offended now ,its not like that.

very admirable, most wouldnt be able to read negative post about their family, especially one of their children.  

you also wrote:

You have your opinion and thats fine but all I am saying, is saying  that he is average, below average or super man after really one bad game is crazy. dont you agree?

YES.  I am a pure believer in mg, mainly because of his ability to run, pass and control an offense.  After the first few games when mg was tearing it up i was very pleased, but also wasnt ready to crown him heisman when he is a junior like many others.  After UC's game it didnt look good, probably his first real test at the d1 level and he didnt get much help from the supporting cast (coaching and teammates) so i am not ready to write him off either.  He is very young and will only improve.

smazz is right, we need to recruit better talent around him so he can showcase his skills, right now he is a one man wrecking crew and that doesnt do a body good.  he is going to need help in 3 of the next 4 games badly.  and need in all three of his next years at usf