• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Trio Returns To Field Today - Trib

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

USF Trio Returns To Field Today

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Oct 14, 2006

CHAPEL HILL, N.C - . When University of South Florida junior wide receiver Jackie Chambers pulls his No. 2 jersey over his shoulder pads in the visiting locker room at Kenan Stadium today, he'll have some help.

"I'm going to put Jackie's jersey on him," USF wide receiver Amarri Jackson said. "I'm so excited. I'm ready to see him play."

Chambers, sophomore running back Ricky Ponton and sophomore defensive lineman Josh Julmiste make their season debuts today when the Bulls (4-2) visit North Carolina (1-4). The trio return from a six-game suspension for having a second positive drug test.

"The whole situation was done when it happened, we just focused on getting those guys back playing football," Jackson said. "That's our family, that's our teammates. The main focus was let's get them back as quick as we can.

"The whole situation - it's been crazy. It's been a downfall to us as a team the way people have dealt with the situation. It hurts us that it had to happen to them, but we love to have those guys back."

USF coach Jim Leavitt would not allow Chambers, Ponton and Julmiste to speak to the media this week.

Entering the season, all three were projected starters before their suspensions. They were allowed to practice during the week, but could only watch from the sidelines on game days.

"I'm excited they have an opportunity to play again," Leavitt said. "All three mean a lot to me."

Ponton's absence probably affected the Bulls the most. Without Ponton and backup Moises Plancher, who suffered a season-ending knee injury in the opener, USF's running backs were largely ineffective. That is, until Ben Williams had a career-high 108 yards last week against Connecticut.

Williams is expected to start his sixth consecutive game today.

"I'm not too much worried [about playing time]," Williams said. "Whoever coach plays in the game, he's going to try to do the best to help us win."

Quarterback Matt Grothe said the addition of Ponton and Chambers will help the offense.

"We've got more pieces," Grothe said. "Jackie and Ricky have gotten a lot of reps the last couple of weeks and Josh gives us more [defensive linemen] bodies to rotate in.

"We all know they are sorry, you can tell the way they stand on the sideline that they wish they were in there. That they wish they could take back stuff from the past, but everybody messes up every once in a while. They'll be all right."

Jackson said having Julmiste, Chambers and Ponton return for the second half of the season only makes the Bulls better.

"They've been repping with the ones and twos the whole time," Jackson said. "They fit right in. They're not going to mess up any chemistry. Those guys are going to add to the fire.

"I know the adrenalin is flowing. I know those guys are ready to play some football."

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

'USF coach Jim Leavitt would not allow Chambers, Ponton and Julmiste to speak to the media this week."

ADULTS SHOULDNT BE TREATED THIS WAY

There are rules ... sure the judge has told you to not talk.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

You guys are starting way too early this morning  ;).

Have to agree with E.T. on this one. Rules are rules.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

GO BULLS!!!!  less then 3 hours!!!  i am hoping for a big day from these guys.  we will need them as the games get tougher

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,407
  • Days Won:  43

Rules or not, I would not let those three talk to the media right now if I were the coach. The last thing those three players need to be is fielding repeative questions from the media about what happened. It is all in the past, so we all should move forward now that it is done. Leavitt was smart not to let the media question those players right now. Those three players need to be more focused than ever.

Good Points BD ... have them talk about the UNC game ... less Q's regarding the suspensions and sure they will make blanket statements anyways about it being "water under the bridge".

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

1) You guys need to stop getting up at 7:30 am to post here... thats just sick.  ;D

2) Those three better not do anything retarded like that again.  

3) If they do anything like that again, I better not see them on our team.

I get an hour head start  8-)

It's 12:30 already here.

Julmiste came in for the 2nd series !