• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UConn was pulse check, UNC is a heart check

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

UConn was a good test to see where this USF squad stood at the midpoint. Had they struggled, things would have been grim for the rest of the season, maybe even putting the prospect of a bowl out the window.

What did we learn?

1) Grothe is always going to produce, not matter what. I hope there are no Bulls doubters out there. I've been a believer since the fall scrimmage. The drawback is that he's the offensive show, with no second act in the wings.

2) The running game came around when the odds were there for one (UConn was soft, we messed with the O-line lineup again, and our running back was ready).

3) The defense is getting better but pre-season billing was maybe too much. I see improvements, but nothing that tells me they are going to "flip a switch" and just dominate like in years past.

4) Punting is still precarious. That rugby scheme is good for when there is room to kick, but not from the end zone. Scarry stuff... Try that in the snow at West Virginia...

5) Heart: college football is all about heart and this group had certainly demonstarted that in the past six games.

6) Leardership: I'm thinking leadership is what this team really needs. The penalties may be symptomatic of the missing leadership, just players losing focus.

Conclusions: This is a pretty talented team that is still trying to find itself, and maybe find some leaders. They want to win badly and sometimes shoot themselves in the foot (penalties). The potential is there for a great run in the next six games.

---------------------------------

The UNC test:

1) Can USF beat a team the its supposed to beat on the road?

2) What impact at all will the three returning players have? A running game and a pass rush?

3) How much heart do they really have? Good teams win when they are supposed to win.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

good points.  I like the rugby kick.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The UNC test:

1) Can USF beat a team the its supposed to beat on the road?

2) What impact at all will the three returning players have? A running game and a pass rush?

3) How much heart do they really have? Good teams win when they are supposed to win.

1.  If they come out and get off to a fast start this could turn into a relativly easy win.  If we start off slow and make mistakes and allow UNC to hang around this could be too close for comfort or possibly a loss.  Good teams go on the road and take care of business when their supposed to this is a good test since we will be at full strength with the idiots back.  No more excuses just results.

2.  Its put up or shut up time for the running game.   They have a more talented back a group that worked well together last week now they must produce.  This game will give us a real glimpse of either what the problem is/was (back or o-line).  If what someone posted here is true with Julmiste playing inside there could be a bit of a learning curve since the two positions require two different skill sets, especially when getting to the passer.  

3.  Our heart shouldnt be a question this team has pleanty.  There are no more players coming back from suspension or other excuses to fall back on its time to put up or shut up.  

i myself dont, i dont see why a teams just dont overload the side teachey runs to and get there for blocks.  You can only block so many people on one side of the line.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

I expect our team to WIN in the same fashion as we did against UConn.

I expect Ponton to EXPLODE !!!

No issues with our team's HEART !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

I expect our team to WIN in the same fashion as we did against UConn.

I expect Ponton to EXPLODE !!!

I'm with you. I think Ponton is going to run wild on UNC.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

6) Leardership: I'm thinking leadership is what this team really needs. The penalties may be symptomatic of the missing leadership, just players losing focus.

I've got to disagree here. I think this team has some **** fine leadership on both sides of the ball and they seem more cohesive then in years past. I think the penalties are attributed to a very young team rather than a lack of leadership.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

i myself dont, i dont see why a teams just dont overload the side teachey runs to and get there for blocks.  You can only block so many people on one side of the line.  

We aren't the only team that uses the rugby kick, i've seen it before and it isn't that simple.  We setup with plenty of blocking on that side too.  We aren't setup for a traditional punt  They could lineup all their players over there and Teachy would just toss the ball to a tight end for a first down.  They could lineup heavy over there but we have 3 people right in front of teachey blocking them... They'd have to have at least 4 over there to have anyone unblocked, and we could burn them if they stacked the side that much.  The 3 that are blocking for teachey behind the line of scrimmage are linebackers and we have used the fake punt to the linebacker many times before.

So far this scheme has worked very well with the exception of one maybe two kicks.  Everything else has been pretty unreturnable.

I would much prefer 5 second hang time on a 60 yard punt for a fair catch, but 41 yards and no return is much better than what Petrov and Alverado were doing.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

as well as Justin can kick left footed too

We aren't the only team that uses the rugby kick, i've seen it before and it isn't that simple.  We setup with plenty of blocking on that side too.  We aren't setup for a traditional punt  They could lineup all their players over there and Teachy would just toss the ball to a tight end for a first down.  They could lineup heavy over there but we have 3 people right in front of teachey blocking them... They'd have to have at least 4 over there to have anyone unblocked, and we could burn them if they stacked the side that much.  The 3 that are blocking for teachey behind the line of scrimmage are linebackers and we have used the fake punt to the linebacker many times before.

So far this scheme has worked very well with the exception of one maybe two kicks.  Everything else has been pretty unreturnable.

I would much prefer 5 second hang time on a 60 yard punt for a fair catch, but 41 yards and no return is much better than what Petrov and Alverado were doing.

I still think we will get burned on this.  Also overloding doesnt mean that you make yourself not sound to cover a fake.  They could easily overload (Bringing 1-2 more guys to the kicking side)  and instead of having guys over the snapper/guard bring in  a couple of safeties to cover the eligible men on the LOS where the extra bodies left.  If this was so effective against stopping people from getting to punters it would be used more, there are reasons its not.  Also do you really think we would try to run a fake punt deep in our own territory say from the the 10 or inside the 10?  Even if they left and eligible man open would you trust teachey to get it there and risk giving up the field position?  Most blocked punts happen when teams are deep in their own territory or have 4th and a mile making the fake not an option.