• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Remember when we signed Benzer?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

I remember the hype.....  so far, looks like a bust.  I wonder if he is injured and doesn't know it like Santiago?  

http://maxemfingerrecruiting.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=2

August 7, 2004 - KICKER MIKE BENZER^ (5-8, 193, 4.8) of Altamonte Springs Longwood Lyman, FL - Benzer has got to be one of the Top Three kickers in the country. He has just returned from a Coach Mike McCabe One On One Kicking Camp and he was one of the top kickers at the Camp. His best kickoff went 70-yards and the hang-time was an amazing 3.94 seconds. His second best was a 68-yarder with a hang-time of 3.82 seconds. He kicked a 50-yard field goal from the left hash and a 55-yard field goal from the right hash. His 60-yard field goal from the right hash was just short. He carries an excellent 3.35 GPA and he has already scored a 1220 on his SAT Test. His favorite school is the Miami Hurricanes, so do not be surprised if they sign him. HE SIGNED WITH SOUTH FLORIDA.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I remember all that...and that is the reason I don't believe him to be a bust...he'll come out of it...Santiago struggled a lot early on...we stuck with him.  He was supposed to be the best of the three Gramaticas according to Bill.  We probably did the freshman Benzer no favors yanking him early last year.  Keep the faith.  Maybe the college game has him rattled and he'll come around.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

he certainly has the leg-- that last missed FG would have been good from 55+

the problem is getting it through the posts.

he also had an earlier one that doinked off the right upright.

I don't know what the problem is but you have to wonder when it will get straightened out (pun intended).

Also-- while I like Teachey punting into the short field (excellent placement of the rolling pooch)-- we should try something else out of the end zone. I know we had better punters when I was in HS that could boot the ball better and this was 20+ years ago. I don't know if that is Delbert since he had serious issues early on and almost cost us two games. CJL seems to have permanently put him in the doghouse. Maybe that is for the best but we look pretty terrible in all kicking areas except extra points (knock on wood) and kick offs. I'll give Teachey props for atleast helping us get decent field position most of the time but other teams must be looking at that and going "WTF?"

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

I'll give Teachey props for atleast helping us get decent field position most of the time but other teams must be looking at that and going "WTF?"

I went out after the game, then got home at 3am and started watching some of the game that I tivo'ed.  I notice that RU sent a guy on the side that Teachey "punts" from, causing him to kick it in a hurry and sending it out of bounds.  Not good.  I think teams are going to start loading that side and go after Teachey.   I would.  

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I don't know if that is Delbert since he had serious issues early on and almost cost us two games. CJL seems to have permanently put him in the doghouse.

Ilia Petrov muffed the first punt against McNeese.  Delbert muffed the UCF punt.

Unless Delbert muffed another one I'm not remembering...

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I read that they still like Alvarado's leg, but he was primamrily a soccewr player and is still needing to learn to catch the snaps consistently.  Let's hope he comes around.  teachey's punting may be ugly, but they seem to be working for the most part.  Plus they aren't returned at all.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

maybe he should go to the 'U' he would fit right in with cokers bunch :-X

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

I don't know if that is Delbert since he had serious issues early on and almost cost us two games. CJL seems to have permanently put him in the doghouse.

Ilia Petrov muffed the first punt against McNeese.  Delbert muffed the UCF punt.

Unless Delbert muffed another one I'm not remembering...

Your right

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254

Are there anymore Gramaticas?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I still have faith that Benzer will turn this around.  He's consistently missing to the right.  That is fixable.  We haven't exactly attempted alot of FG's this year... after 5 games, we've tried what 5? 6 maybe?  Right now it seems to be lack of confidence.