• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Trib: Leavitt Says Fridays Are For Preps

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

The never ending College Football on Fridays debate.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB3EQUAMSE.html

Leavitt Says Fridays Are For Preps

Skip directly to the full story.

By BRETT MCMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Sep 28, 2006

TAMPA - University of South Florida graduate Earl Garcia would love to attend his alma mater's game against No. 23 Rutgers on Friday night at Raymond James Stadium.

But then, as Hillsborough High's football coach, Garcia will be coaching his Terriers against Middleton that night. For other Bay area fans, though, they will have to make the choice - between attending a high school game or USF's game.

"I don't like it a darn bit," Garcia said. "It's biting the hand that feeds you. If USF draws 35,000 - and I hope they draw 100,000 - somewhere in there will be football fans that would have seen their high school play.

"It's frustrating for us. Our kids are the ones supplying the colleges. We need the money, too."

Garcia stresses he supports the USF program and knows the Bulls are playing the game Friday only to be on national television as part of the Big East's contract. But, he says, he still doesn't have to like it.

USF coach Jim Leavitt also is opposed to playing on Friday nights.

"High school football, I think, should have Fridays," Leavitt said. "But we're going to do it. We're fortunate to be able to play on TV. So you get … that's the positive part of it all, but I've always been a big proponent of high school football and coaches, and you hate … I think television hates getting in that situation also. It is what it is, I guess.

"But high school football means a lot to me, but how often do you play on TV?"

Friday night used to be sacred for high school football. That changed in 2001, when the NCAA removed its national ban for playing on Friday nights. This is USF's third home Friday night game in the past four seasons. The Rutgers-USF contest is one of five Friday night games this season involving Big East teams.

"I assume by going on TV they're going to make a lot of money," Hillsborough County Athletic Director Vernon Korhn said. "We wish they wouldn't play on Fridays. It will hurt our games at some of the local high schools."

For appearing on ESPN/ESPN2, USF will receive between $100,000 and $150,000 (the specific amount based on the Big East's formula), USF assistant athletic director John Gerdes said.

"I don't like a darn thing about it," Garcia said. "It's disrespectful for colleges to play on Fridays. I don't see any positive out of it."

While USF receives national television exposure, USF's biggest target audience - high school recruits - won't be able to attend the game or watch it live.

I am not going to re-type this, so here is a clip on my thoughts about this:

http://stardogcafe.blogspot.com/2006/09/college-football-on-friday-debate.html

Sorry Coach, I do not buy it. Who watches high school football games? The parents of the players and some of the high school students may attend the games. Does anyone else care? Maybe in the fictional town of Alen, TX from King of the Hill, but Hank Hill and his crew are busy bodies who went nowhere in life except to:

* Sell propane and propane accessories at Strickland Propane

* Become a bug exterminator whose son was fathered by the local Indian healer during his wife's long affair with said Indian

* Join the Army and become a fat, bald barber

* Become the aging playboy who speaks Texas gibberish and drives an old muscle car

I never attended the football games of my high school, and we had the top running back in the state of Florida at the time. I was too busy working my lousy job at McDonalds, which coincidentally was across from Lockhart Stadium, where many Ft. Lauderdale high schools played their football games. All those students who attended the games would come into my McDonalds after the game on Friday and cause a major rush right before closing. It was a madhouse for over an hour, searing up greasy burgers, boiling french fries in beef tallow, and then cleaning up the mess after all those bastards left. There was always someone who recognized me and would shout my name across the counter.  How embarrasing.

I had a job to do back then in high school, and I did it no matter how annoying it was. I would rather be with my high school buddies at the game, but I needed the money to keep my car and other teenager expenses. You have a job to do Coach Jim Leavitt, because USF needs that ESPN2 money. This is the year 2006, not 1956. Get over it and just play the game.

BTW, I blog under a pseudonym; that is not my real name.  You never know when an employer gets their panties in a bind over a blog posting.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You might not hightech, but you can't bring in recruits of a "key" recruiting weekend when you have games during their games.

Friday nights should just be left alone.

That being said. It's an uncontested game on a slow sports night in many areas. Those who don't attend high school games or baseball games this weekend will get to watch Rutgers v. USF

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

High school football is a big draw for many of the schools in Hillsborough County. Armwood regualry sells out their games, as does Hillsborough. Those are just the two schools that I am familiar with. The Middleton-vs-Blake game was expecting 12K last weekend at Ray Jay. I liked it the way it used to be, Friday Highschool, Saturday College, Sunday and Monday NFL. What was so **** wrong with that formula. I think that our attendance will be lower than many expect because we play on Friday. JMHO

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

That being said. It's an uncontested game on a slow sports night in many areas. Those who don't attend high school games or baseball games this weekend will get to watch Rutgers v. USF

That's what I am talking about.  Hopefully the couch potatoes who love college football and live in the area will take notice when we beat #23 ranked Rutgers and say "Hey, we got a pretty good team here in Tampa."

Hopefully.  But then again, they are couch potatoes.

• Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468

There's a nice high school about 2 blocks from my house. Every year for the last 3 years my girlfriend and I talk about going to a game. They are a pretty decent team. Made it through districts last season after winning their division. We have absolutely no stake in the high school - well, I guess we do in that our taxes helps pay for it. But, we have no children and don't know anyone else that has children that play. So, it's been 3 years now of talking about going and 3 years of not doing it. Always seems like something better is going on. Like someone else stated, there really isn't much of a draw for the non-high school group.

Plus, JL should be dancing in the streets every time USF is on national TV. I don't care if the game is played on Wednesday afternoon.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158

There's a nice high school about 2 blocks from my house. Every year for the last 3 years my girlfriend and I talk about going to a game. They are a pretty decent team. Made it through districts last season after winning their division. We have absolutely no stake in the high school - well, I guess we do in that our taxes helps pay for it. But, we have no children and don't know anyone else that has children that play. So, it's been 3 years now of talking about going and 3 years of not doing it. Always seems like something better is going on. Like someone else stated, there really isn't much of a draw for the non-high school group.

Ditto.  I live literally right next door to Tampa Catholic, who is having a spectacular season.  Talked about going to a game with my son for a few years now, never did it.

Don't have a vested interest in the school either.  It'd be a curiosity visit for me.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  130

How would you feel if the NFL started playing on Saturdays opposite NCCA football?

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  545

Ditto.  I live literally right next door to Tampa Catholic, who is having a spectacular season.  Talked about going to a game with my son for a few years now, never did it.

Don't have a vested interest in the school either.  It'd be a curiosity visit for me.

I went to TC.  I try to go to as many games as I can.  Ever since I left they have been doing great.  When I was there our highest win total in one season was 2!

High School Football is big in the area.  Most schools get very large crowds.  I agree with Leavitt that it hurts to not be able to have recruits at the game but he also said that it is a trade off to be on national TV.

I am obviously skipping the TC game to go to the USF game tho.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158

Nice of Steinbrenner to donate the stadium, eh?