• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt blames bad info for call

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

THEY ARENT EVEN AWARE OF THE SPOT OF THE BALL

Anyone who has coached a football game (which is appearantly many on this board) would know that the assistants in the box give the head coach the down and distance over the headsets the moment a play ends.  You can't wait until the ball is spotted(especially now with the new clock rule), to do so beacause of personel changes and the play call must be made quickly (there is this little 25 second play clock that is sort of important).

I would think the coach(es) upstairs told Leavitt that it would be 1st & Goal or 4th & inches. I didn't see the game, but from what I have read/heard, no one would have expected the refs would miss the spot by nearly two full yards giving USF fourth and 2.

A better arguement could have been that maybe we take a timeout here. (I probably should not have said that ... just more fuel, but some don't need it.

Okay ... back to the regularly scheduled lynch mob ...

Go BULLS !!!

the usf's coaching staff's incompetence created the problem not the refs

how many free passes are you going to give this staff

i never heard such a screw up as described by leavitt and i have been coaching peewees to high school kids over 20years

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Way to pawn off your own incompetency on your assistants. I'm sure they loved reading that & have more respect for you today as a result of it.

Oh, and, just for the record everyone did read this, right?

GETTING TOUGHER: Although Rutgers and USF are a combined 7-1, neither has faced much tough competition in the past month. Their wins are against teams with a combined 1-17 record against I-A opponents this season.

Actually, who ever wrote that stat is wrong.

Yes, only one Rutgers opponent has won one I-A Game (Ohio beat NIU)....however Kansas now has 2 Div I-A wins...a 2 pt win vs Louisiana-Monroe...and last week's win over USF.

Correct total should be 3 I-A victories from their combined opponents.

KL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

Way to pawn off your own incompetency on your assistants. I'm sure they loved reading that & have more respect for you today as a result of it.

Oh, and, just for the record everyone did read this, right?

GETTING TOUGHER: Although Rutgers and USF are a combined 7-1, neither has faced much tough competition in the past month. Their wins are against teams with a combined 1-17 record against I-A opponents this season.

Actually, who ever wrote that stat is wrong.

Yes, only one Rutgers opponent has won one I-A Game (Ohio beat NIU)....however Kansas now has 2 Div I-A wins...a 2 pt win vs Louisiana-Monroe...and last week's win over USF.

Correct total should be 3 I-A victories from their combined opponents.

KL

This gets so tiring ........ the stat is correct.

How did you Kanigits get through college?? ........ You must have relied heavily on audio tapes.

a win over rutgers will put usf back on course

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

Look-- I don't think this was about CJL blaming his assistants so much as him explaining how the decision was made.

His information said the ball was a 4th and inches (and it sure as hell looked like a first down, not a first and 2). Anyway-- he thought it was a small amount of yardage to make the first and he went for it.

That isn't anything new. Fromt he very start, CJL has demostrated a willingness to go for it in tough situations. The Georgia Southern game in our first year (and Ga. Southern was the 8th ranked 1-AA team/perrenial 1-AA excellent team) had a similar situation. We had a late touchdown and could have tied with a extra point kick. CJL went for the 2 point conversion. We didn't make it but we admired the balls it took to make that call.

Anyway-- you can call it a bad move all you want or question his throwing the staff under the bus. But I wonder if you were in the same situation (same set of information-- right or wrong in front of you) what you might do.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

Although this won't sit well with smazza's "Jim Leavitt is a horrible coach and I'm an expert on football coaching" mentality, USF going for it on 4th and down at the 3 yard line was a worthwhile gamble.  Defense is SUPPOSED to be our strength and offense Kansas' weakness, so even if we hadn't gotten the first down, we had every expectation that we would be getting the ball back in good field position.  Given the bad angle on those short kicks and the fact that any FG for USF right now isn't a chip shot and it was a worthwhile gamble.  The play call absolutely sucked, but the decision to go for it wasn't as bad.  The fact that the defense then allowed Kansas to convert a 3rd and 6 from the 6 yard line (foreshadowing a bunch of converted 3rd and longs) was what hurt us there.  

I also don't see anybody pissing and moaning about Grothe's horrible decision to throw that pass at the end of the half.  If he throws that ball away we are still in FG range to score with 8 seconds left.  

USFFan

YOU HAVE DEMONSTRATED TOO ME YOU DONT KNOW THE GAME

OR THE OPPONENT

SORRY YOU CANT SEPARATE THE DECISION TO GO FOR IT AND THE PLAY.THEY GO HAND IN HAND.IF YOU DONT HAVE A PLAY TO GAIN NECESSARY YARDAGE THAN YOU KICK THE FILED GOAL,

YOU are obviously another newbie so i will go easy on you

MANGINO IS AN OFFENSIVE WHIZ AS HE DEMONSTRATED BY PUTTING UP ENOUGH POINTS TOO WIN

And YOU have demonstrated to ME that you are an arrogant blowhard.  First off, your opinion that this was a bad decision is just that, an opinion.  It is no more or less valid than mine.  To call into question whether I know what I'm talking about (despite having played football through high school and coached football for going on 10 years) for expressing that opinion is silly.  Since I have been posting on this and other USF boards long enough to have interacted with you dozens of times (and never learning my lesson to just ignore you) demonstrates that all you do is write grammatically incorrect posts without ever reading what anybody else has to say.  

I've got news, Steve.  Just because you post 10,000 times does NOT make you any kind of authority on sports or anything else.  Furthermore, just because you give money to the university does not give you any more credence in your incessant whining about any and every thing that our alma mater does.  And just because you brag about things on the internet does not mean that 99% of the crap that you post is really true.  I'm sorry that I tried once again to respond to one of your posts.  I'll probably go another year or so of trying to ignore you before you break me down again.  

USFFan

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry, but when you have 39,000 posts, isn't everybody pretty much a newbie to you?

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585

Sorry, but when you have 39,000 posts, isn't everybody pretty much a newbie to you?

39,000 posts of insubstantial ********.  It's like the old Wendy's commercial - "Where's the beef?"

Incidentally, "newbie" is short for newcomer.  I've been a registered member of this board for going on 5 years.  I just don't have the hours to take away from my pretend law practice to post 40,000 times.  

USFFan

"His information said the ball was a 4th and inches (and it sure as hell looked like a first down, not a first and 2). Anyway-- he thought it was a small amount of yardage to make the first and he went for it. "

YOU CANT MAKE THESE TYPE MISTAKES AT THIS LEVEL

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

"His information said the ball was a 4th and inches (and it sure as hell looked like a first down, not a first and 2). Anyway-- he thought it was a small amount of yardage to make the first and he went for it. "

YOU CANT MAKE THESE TYPE MISTAKES AT THIS LEVEL

SURE YOU CAN!! You just have to try harder