• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those who want UCF series are shortsighted

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

There I said it.  Did some of you get mad.  Sorry, I just want you to stop and think for a minute.

Those who want the UCF series are probably the same type of people who would have wanted an annual series with Ga. Southern a few years ago.  Guess what, thankfully we didn't settle there, and we shouldn't settle here.

USF needs to dream big, I mean really, really, really big.   Keep dreaming big and don't stop til you get there.  Dream of being the next UM, FSU, Texas, or USC.  Yes, folks, it can happen.  It may take years, but don't stop till you get there.  Don't ever give up until you have hit the big time.  I'm not one to say we have already hit the big time or arrived yet like some have.  We have a long long way to go.  Think long term, think huge.  Don't settle until you have an annual series with another top 10 opponent and we are a top ten team.  Whether that be UM or another team.  Beleive and dream.  Go for the gold, go for an annual series with a top BCS team if it take 10, 15, or 20 years.

Does USC have a home and home with a WAC, Florida with a CUSA team, the answer is no and we should settle for no less, I'm not talking about 1 or 2 games ore even a 1 for 1, but a long term series.  These series with Mac teams are not long term so forget about those and don't focus on them.

Don't you dare settle for a long term series with a CDOA team, no matter how many butts it puts in the seat.  Whether 65K fans show up at every game.  Dream of winning national championship after national championship.  Don't use the excuse that we are playing ball state, those are just filler games on the way to the top, not a long term annual series.  Build a series with a team that can be a USC-Notre Dame, Florida-FSU,  UM-OSU, Texas-OU.  This may sound unreasonable to some of you, but the only way to get there is to dream of it.  It can happen one day.  Don't settle, just cause the other side screams and fans who don't think long term want to settle.  CJL and DW see the long term, the future, and the future is bright.  They are dreaming of bringing home everything to USF, and to do that you shoot for the moon, not settle.  Dream of being a top 5 team playing an annual with another top 5 team.  Yes we can.  We have nothing to gain by settling except to be brought down.  Don't just think of the dollars and fans, but of long term dreams, and don't stop till you get there.

By the way, UL played AT Temple, the worst team in 1A, that doesn't stop them from dreaming national championships and neither will games at ball state, etc. for us.  Go check out their boards.  We have more big games coming I am sure, that will be added, those are just schedule fillers.

Thanks for reading.  Go Bulls.      

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  245
  • Days Won:  0

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks, LW, someone needed to say it.

There I said it.  Did some of you get mad.  Sorry, I just want you to stop and think for a minute.

Those who want the UCF series are probably the same type of people who would have wanted an annual series with Ga. Southern a few years ago.  Guess what, thankfully we didn't settle there, and we shouldn't settle here.

USF needs to dream big, I mean really, really, really big.   Keep dreaming big and don't stop til you get there.  Dream of being the next UM, FSU, Texas, or USC.  Yes, folks, it can happen.  It may take years, but don't stop till you get there.  Don't ever give up until you have hit the big time.  I'm not one to say we have already hit the big time or arrived yet like some have.  We have a long long way to go.  Think long term, think huge.  Don't settle until you have an annual series with another top 10 opponent and we are a top ten team.  Whether that be UM or another team.  Beleive and dream.  Go for the gold, go for an annual series with a top BCS team if it take 10, 15, or 20 years.

I don't think you realize the scheduling priorities for USF.

FIRST - No 2 for 1s or single game paydays for BCS teams.  BCS teams get 1 for 1s or nothing.

SECOND -  This is the breakdown that USF wants for it's 5 OOC games:

1 I-AA home game

1 BCS home game

1 BCS road game

2 mid major games

THIRD - Whenever possible, schedule 7 home games.  This can be difficult in years with three home conference games (can we get 4 of the 5 OOC games at home??)

Those three priorities are hard to fit into a Fresno State / Florida State "play anyone anywhere" mindset.

And no, you can't change the priorities until you are named coach or athletic director.

Does USC have a home and home with a WAC, Florida with a CUSA team, the answer is no and we should settle for no less, I'm not talking about 1 or 2 games ore even a 1 for 1, but a long term series.

Consider that Southern Cal only has 2 OOC games (+ ND) and Florida only has three 3 OOC games (+ FSU) and USF has 5 OOC games; it's a lot harder for those two teams to have long-term series with a mid-major.  Florida doesn't even play OOC games on the road - they generally do single-pay games and USF can't do that (yet).

LSU (a perennial Top 10 team) signed a long term series with Tulane.  Texas has four games coming up with Rice (2 home and homes).  WVU has four games with ECU (2 home and homes). These may be more the exception than the rule, but Top teams do sign long term series with mid-major teams.

These series with Mac teams are not long term so forget about those and don't focus on them.

Don't you dare settle for a long term series with a CDOA team, no matter how many butts it puts in the seat.  Whether 65K fans show up at every game.  Dream of winning national championship after national championship.  Don't use the excuse that we are playing ball state, those are just filler games on the way to the top, not a long term annual series.  Build a series with a team that can be a USC-Notre Dame, Florida-FSU,  UM-OSU, Texas-OU.  This may sound unreasonable to some of you, but the only way to get there is to dream of it.  It can happen one day.  Don't settle, just cause the other side screams and fans who don't think long term want to settle.  CJL and DW see the long term, the future, and the future is bright.  They are dreaming of bringing home everything to USF, and to do that you shoot for the moon, not settle.  Dream of being a top 5 team playing an annual with another top 5 team.  Yes we can.  We have nothing to gain by settling except to be brought down.  Don't just think of the dollars and fans, but of long term dreams, and don't stop till you get there.

We can dream about it... and it will come.

By the way, UL played AT Temple, the worst team in 1A, that doesn't stop them from dreaming national championships and neither will games at ball state, etc. for us.  Go check out their boards.  We have more big games coming I am sure, that will be added, those are just schedule fillers.

Thanks for reading.  Go Bulls.      

So, since we will be playing TWO GAMES against mid-majors every year, do you want them to be Buffalo, Ball State or UCF?

Doesn't seem to be shortsighted to me to play the game.  We still have the chance to play the big name programs.

I am not disagreeing with you, just wanting to make sure that your vision is based, a little, on reality.

Just getting you guys to think a little.  I know some will disagree and say play every year.  

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

I for one will be happy when we don't play UCF again.  All of you that love this series better enjoy the final 3 games of it, becasue it won't happen long term.

I'm no longer of that opinion, but I think some of your points were hyperboles.

Don't forget that we have some darn good programs in the Big East, and beating them consistently will lift USF's profile (look what beating U of L did for one week and what being in the Big East hunt did last year).

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just getting you guys to think a little.  I know some will disagree and say play every year.  

thats why its a good post.

I think UCF should reamain as a OOC beginning of the year game (maybe 2nd game instead of 3rd).  That way either it develops as a rivalry between the two or we continue to grow at a faster rate then they do and it becomes a OOC tune up.  

I for one will be happy when we don't play UCF again.  All of you that love this series better enjoy the final 3 games of it, becasue it won't happen long term.

Cool. 'Cause I can't wait for those Buffalo and Ball State games!!!

;-) ;-) ;-)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

So, since we will be playing TWO GAMES against mid-majors every year, do you want them to be Buffalo, Ball State or UCF?

At least we would not be painting ourselves into a corner with those three or any other team.  We could play any number of teams and walk away at the end of the contract.  Why can't we walk away from CDOA's UCF?