• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF on the front page of SI on campus!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

too bad the picture shows the score USF 7 FIU 20

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

sweet........... One of the better USF articles I have ever read.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

That was awesome!!!!!, **** Straight Unstoppable football the nation better watch out.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

Can someone post the artical for those of us that have that page blocked at work

Wild about USF

After a detour from Austin, I had a bull of a time in Tampa

Posted: Tuesday September 12, 2006 12:24PM; Updated: Tuesday September 12, 2006 12:33PM

By Jenn Sterger

All good stories of random escapades start with, "Well, you see, what happened was..."

She didn't have her cowgirls (above), but Jenn managed to do just fine with USF's Beef Squad.

Photo courtesy of Jenn Sterger

My adventure is no exception. I was planning to attend one of the biggest games of the season last weekend in Austin. But thanks to some crazies who tried to make bombs out of Gatorade and baby formula, traveling has become more and more of a hassle: delayed flights, security checkpoint hold-ups, you name it. That seemed to be the case again last Saturday as I waited to board a plane, any plane. No, my flight wasn't outright cancelled, but it was so severely delayed that had I boarded, I might have caught the final seconds of the game. That's what I get for having last-minute plans.

I guess I could have stayed home, but what fun would that have been? I could have driven to Tallahassee to watch Florida State battle Troy, but I would've been cutting it really close to game time. And who knew that the game would be as intense as it was? So, I decided to save some gas and sanity, and pay a visit to my old alma mater: The University of South Florida.

I know what you are thinking: The Bulls don't even have their own stadium. They may not have a home turf of their own just yet, but they do have some sweet digs at Raymond James Stadium, also known as the home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Does your stadium have a pirate ship in it?

I know what you're thinking now: The Bulls don't play anyone. Those who are of that opinion must have missed the impressive display they put on in a defeat of  Louisville last season. Yes, that Louisville -- ranked ninth in the nation at the time. Everyone expected a total massacre, but USF killed Louisville's chances for the national title.

"That was probably the greatest day of my life," said Brittany Link, a junior and leader of a boisterous group of USF fans known as the Beef Squad.

While running around and tailgating with friends, I endured being called the "dyslexic cowgirl."

"Sweetie, are you lost?" they asked. "Did you get ready for your Florida State game today in front of a mirror and think you went to USF instead of FSU?"

Comedians, folks! You know you laughed, too.

I finally made my way into Raymond James Stadium. The setting is actually quite impressive and there was a pretty decent crowd, despite the fact the Bulls were playing FIU (my mom's alma mater). It didn't take me long to spot the Beef Squad, who pretty much dominated the first few rows of the student section in the North End zone. Now, don't get me wrong, I used to go to USF, but never did the student section look like this. So, I was pleasantly surprised with the turnout.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

All good stories of random escapades start with, "Well, you see, what happened was..."

She didn't have her cowgirls (above), but Jenn managed to do just fine with USF's Beef Squad.

Photo courtesy of Jenn Sterger

My adventure is no exception. I was planning to attend one of the biggest games of the season last weekend in Austin. But thanks to some crazies who tried to make bombs out of Gatorade and baby formula, traveling has become more and more of a hassle: delayed flights, security checkpoint hold-ups, you name it. That seemed to be the case again last Saturday as I waited to board a plane, any plane. No, my flight wasn't outright cancelled, but it was so severely delayed that had I boarded, I might have caught the final seconds of the game. That's what I get for having last-minute plans.

I guess I could have stayed home, but what fun would that have been? I could have driven to Tallahassee to watch Florida State battle Troy, but I would've been cutting it really close to game time. And who knew that the game would be as intense as it was? So, I decided to save some gas and sanity, and pay a visit to my old alma mater: The University of South Florida.

I know what you are thinking: The Bulls don't even have their own stadium. They may not have a home turf of their own just yet, but they do have some sweet digs at Raymond James Stadium, also known as the home of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Does your stadium have a pirate ship in it?

I know what you're thinking now: The Bulls don't play anyone. Those who are of that opinion must have missed the impressive display they put on in a defeat of  Louisville last season. Yes, that Louisville -- ranked ninth in the nation at the time. Everyone expected a total massacre, but USF killed Louisville's chances for the national title.

"That was probably the greatest day of my life," said Brittany Link, a junior and leader of a boisterous group of USF fans known as the Beef Squad.

While running around and tailgating with friends, I endured being called the "dyslexic cowgirl."

"Sweetie, are you lost?" they asked. "Did you get ready for your Florida State game today in front of a mirror and think you went to USF instead of FSU?"

Comedians, folks! You know you laughed, too.

I finally made my way into Raymond James Stadium. The setting is actually quite impressive and there was a pretty decent crowd, despite the fact the Bulls were playing FIU (my mom's alma mater). It didn't take me long to spot the Beef Squad, who pretty much dominated the first few rows of the student section in the North End zone. Now, don't get me wrong, I used to go to USF, but never did the student section look like this. So, I was pleasantly surprised with the turnout.Once halftime was over, and the H.O.T. (Herd of Thunder Marching Band) left the field, I made my way over to the student section where I met Brittany and a huge group of fans dressed in body paint and, well, little else. Many had names painted on their back while others wore grass skirts and aviator glasses, but all had horns.. HUGE PLASTIC HORNS. Not exactly cowboy hats, but it worked.

It turns out the Beef Squad had a pretty elaborate history even in the small amount of time the program has been in existence. What was once four guys in towels and some body paint is now almost 50 members and counting, of all shapes and sizes.

"Each member adds a different dimension to the group," Brittany said, "and we want anyone that has an intense passion for the game and for the Bulls. Because that is why we are all here. And if people are out walking around tailgating and don't have enough school colors on, you better believe we are going to add a bit of our own. We'll paint anyone who wants to be painted. A little green and gold never hurt anyone."

The Beef Squad even convinced USF president Judy Genshaft to get painted for the pep rally that was aptly called "The Round Up." They all were kind enough to pose for some pictures with me, and tried to improve my sad excuse for "Horns," which unfortunately sometimes mistakenly became a different hand gesture. My bad.

By the end of the night, I almost felt at home: People cursing their offensive coordinator, the bands battling back and forth, and a near full student section standing in nothing but green and gold. I was still a little disappointed about not making it to the big game in Austin, but I wouldn't have traded my fan experience at USF for the world.

It was great to see how far the football program has come since I left for Tallahassee. I told my mom and dad, who have been loyal season ticket holders, that I understood why they kept coming back after all these years. It was all about the game, the experience, and the chance to be a part of it all.

Maybe now you will think twice about laughing when you see South Florida on your team's schedule. While the program is young and still finding its roots in the Big East, the Bulls have shown they can play with anybody. They have spunk and heart, as well as loyal and dedicated fans. The offense has some up-and-coming talent in quarterback Matt Grothe and wideout Taurus Johnson, who put on a pretty impressive display when he burst past five Panther defenders for a 29-yard touchdown. The defense was pretty solid, too.

So, haters, save your "U Stay Forever" jokes for someone else. In a few years, USF could mean "Un-Stoppable Football."

By Jenn Sterger

page 2

Once halftime was over, and the H.O.T. (Herd of Thunder Marching Band) left the field, I made my way over to the student section where I met Brittany and a huge group of fans dressed in body paint and, well, little else. Many had names painted on their back while others wore grass skirts and aviator glasses, but all had horns.. HUGE PLASTIC HORNS. Not exactly cowboy hats, but it worked.

It turns out the Beef Squad had a pretty elaborate history even in the small amount of time the program has been in existence. What was once four guys in towels and some body paint is now almost 50 members and counting, of all shapes and sizes.

"Each member adds a different dimension to the group," Brittany said, "and we want anyone that has an intense passion for the game and for the Bulls. Because that is why we are all here. And if people are out walking around tailgating and don't have enough school colors on, you better believe we are going to add a bit of our own. We'll paint anyone who wants to be painted. A little green and gold never hurt anyone."

The Beef Squad even convinced USF president Judy Genshaft to get painted for the pep rally that was aptly called "The Round Up." They all were kind enough to pose for some pictures with me, and tried to improve my sad excuse for "Horns," which unfortunately sometimes mistakenly became a different hand gesture. My bad.

By the end of the night, I almost felt at home: People cursing their offensive coordinator, the bands battling back and forth, and a near full student section standing in nothing but green and gold. I was still a little disappointed about not making it to the big game in Austin, but I wouldn't have traded my fan experience at USF for the world.

It was great to see how far the football program has come since I left for Tallahassee. I told my mom and dad, who have been loyal season ticket holders, that I understood why they kept coming back after all these years. It was all about the game, the experience, and the chance to be a part of it all.

Maybe now you will think twice about laughing when you see South Florida on your team's schedule. While the program is young and still finding its roots in the Big East, the Bulls have shown they can play with anybody. They have spunk and heart, as well as loyal and dedicated fans. The offense has some up-and-coming talent in quarterback Matt Grothe and wideout Taurus Johnson, who put on a pretty impressive display when he burst past five Panther defenders for a 29-yard touchdown. The defense was pretty solid, too.

So, haters, save your "U Stay Forever" jokes for someone else. In a few years, USF could mean

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  174

nice job, Beef Squad