• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe

Guest R_to_the_izzo

Guest R_to_the_izzo

Just flat out doesnt have the arm to compete at this level. Combine that with the fact he won't look at his 2nd or 3rd reciever and im surprised he didnt throw even more picks. Even if it's just a look off, look around. He forced at least 8 passes into double coverage when his check downs and 2nd options where standing around with no one on him.

If he wants to stay the starter for this season...he needs to change those bad habits fast.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

He was checking off to both sides of the field early on in the game.  I clearly saw him look left then turn and fire right at least twice.   I didn't see him do that as often as the game wore on, but he started out doing it.

His arm... he's 19 and a freshman.  I'd rather have an accurate softer arm than a reckless cannon, which is what we had before.  Give him time to get bigger, stronger, and develop his game sense better.  It will happen.

The 2nd pick (the deep one)... I pin that on him, although the announcers didn't.  If he audibles off the called play, all receivers need to know.  If one didn't, although Matt threw it where he thought his guy should be, that communication error falls on him.

I didn't think the kid played a bad game at all.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

The QB is a freshman.  I will take him and a mediocre/bad season and let him learn over a gut wrenching season with PJ anyday.  Heck, we ended up 6-6 last year with PJ.  If we get no Bowl game  this year and then 3 great years I will take my lumps this year.  

Guest R_to_the_izzo
The QB is a freshman.  I will take him and a mediocre/bad season and let him learn over a gut wrenching season with PJ anyday.  Heck, we ended up 6-6 last year with PJ.  If we get no Bowl game  this year and then 3 great years I will take my lumps this year.  

Cool. Then why don't you take St. Louis/Moffit/Nichoals off the field and get some of the younger guys in there too. You expect to lose why not get all of your underclassmen in there?

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  115

Then somebody needs to build an offense that friggin' works.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Just flat out doesnt have the arm to compete at this level. Combine that with the fact he won't look at his 2nd or 3rd reciever and im surprised he didnt throw even more picks. Even if it's just a look off, look around. He forced at least 8 passes into double coverage when his check downs and 2nd options where standing around with no one on him.

If he wants to stay the starter for this season...he needs to change those bad habits fast.

He will learn a lot - he's a freshman.

Besides, if you didn't know, we're not going to the promised land this year.  We might next year or the one following.  So as we build towards that goal, I see a QB that shows the promise to help get us there.

He made some mistakes, but he also showed a lot of composure and guts out there.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

He made one disugusting throw, for a pick 6, that made us ALL realize that he is a freshman....in game #2.

He ALSO made a gorgeous throw for the winning TD that made us realize that we HAVE something here...

Grothe fell back on his Lake Gibson days... and flipflop can correct me here... but in the 2nd half, he spent a couple of drives looking at one maybe two receivers on one side of the field... then if they weren't open, he pulled the ball down and ran.

The first INT was totally his inexperience.  The DB suckered him... the DB dropped back as MG was at the line... then MG called an audbile and the DB knew where it was going.  On the snap, he broke for the WR at the line of scrimmage watching MG all the time.

Beyond that I thought this was a good game for him.  I am glad CJL left him in the whole game - gave MG a chance to develop his leadership skills.  That TD pass to Taurus Johnson has to be one of the best I have seen from a USF QB ever.

He made some of the same mistakes as the McNeese game, but it seems like he is learning.  He just needs to know that there are recievers on both sides of the ball -- not be so quick to look at one side then pull it down and run.

Granted, the OL does need to do a better job giving him time to throw.  But all in all, I am happy that it appeared MG made some progress from the first game.

Guest Sprtsfn627

Now a bunch of people posted LAST WEEK that Grothe will make mistakes and won't be perfect, but that he will get better with time.  The very next game, he makes some mistakes, and you rip on him and say he can't play at this level.  Wow.  So much for giving the kid a chance.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

Cool. Then why don't you take St. Louis/Moffit/Nichoals off the field and get some of the younger guys in there too. You expect to lose why not get all of your underclassmen in there?

I don't expect to lose jacka$$.  But I don't expect Grothe to be perfect.  And I will not take my seniors/junior off the field.  We have a better chance of winning with Grothe at QB than we do with PJ.  Get real.