• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Collapsing goal posts?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

I do not want to start a "complainy pants pissing match" thread over the post game lowering of the goal posts, but what was all that about after the game?

I read in this article http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB94016NQE.html about the TSA installing collapsable goal posts to prevent students from jumping on the field, but I had not idea that they would make it look like the Keystone Cops after the game.  They must have had 10 guys lowering the goal post and 30 security people guarding the perimeter.  It took them at least 10 minutes to lower it, and they had more bars propping up the goal post then the DOT used to build that new Selmon Expressway over pass.

Maybe it is the high tech scientist in me, but I was expecting the goal post to mechanically lower itself, ala a Rube Goldberg machines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg.

Well they only spent $11,500 to install the new goal posts, so maybe they will have to raise taxes to intall the deluxe Rube Goldberg model for next season.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Even with the new collapsible goal posts, fans will still not be allowed on the field after USF games. "Our policy is unchanged," USF assistant AD John Gerdes said.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

let's just call it a live drill and leave it at that.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

But you had to see the humor in it. Cindy and I watched them and thought it was funny. It took so long to lower the goal post that any sort of jail-break-to-the-field would have basically been over, and the participants well on their way home by the time they got them down. Few things in life are as funny as The Official Raymond James Crack Security Staff & Parking Lot Polezi.

As much as I'd like to think it was a dress rehersal, you can't rule out the possibility that the ORJCSS was a bit concerned about the volume of students in attendance. Oh My God!!! They're going to storm the field after beating a IAA team? Quick...secure the goalposts!!! ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

did you get any snapshots of it? sounds a lot funnier the way you describe it

I half expected the goal post to fall down when that field goal try clanked into it.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  1,066

did you get any snapshots of it? sounds a lot funnier the way you describe it

I half expected the goal post to fall down when that field goal try clanked into it.

I agree...it was way too funny.  It looked like they were doing it for the first time.  And if the students did rush the field after a big win, they would not even be close to getting the goal post down.  I think if they invested the same people that were trying to get the goal post down in actual security to prevent the stroming of the field would be more effective use of resources.

That $11,500 could have been donated to H.O.T. for our new uniforms....ROFL!!!

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  143

i dont think there any games this year worth of rushing the field for - however i dont understand their logic of installing the field goals since their "policy" has not changed.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

Quality isn't like MikeG's...but I tried...

100_0771.jpg

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

That's not the kind of posts I've seen before. I've seen ones where the crossbar and upright come down, and they use a gigantic wrench to turn them loose and spin them off.