• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe ruled... BUT....

When was the last time one of our QB's threw a  47 yard TD pass?

You know, those are the "sexy" plays and all, but I liked the short throws better than his deep ones. The deep ones were good(like MikeG said, the bomb to Edwards was more Edwards making a play on the ball than Matt throwing the perfect pass), but the short ones were crisp, ON TIME, and IN STRIDE.

I know Shoop.  I was was just trying to point out that with PJ we have no vertical passing game.  Smith would not even call the long passes last season because he had no confidence in PJ.  

With Justmissed in, we were third down and 27 and ran the ball from our 4.

To be fair, most coaches would run the ball from inside the 5 - to give more room for the QB to drop back.

Here is the play by play for that posession:

1st and 10 at USF 4      Benjamin Williams rush for 2 yards to the SFla 6.      0      0

2nd and 8 at USF 6      Benjamin Williams rush for 14 yards to the SFla 20 for a 1ST down.            

1st and 10 at USF 20      South Florida penalty 10 yard holding accepted, no play.            

1st and 20 at USF 10      South Florida penalty 5 yard holding accepted, no play.            

1st and 25 at USF 5      Colby Erskin rush for a loss of 2 yards to the SFla 3.            

2nd and 27 at USF 3      Colby Erskin rush for 1 yard to the SFla 4.            

3rd and 26 at USF 4      Colby Erskin rush for 5 yards to the SFla 9.            

4th and 21 at USF 9      Ilia Petrov punt blocked for a loss of 9 yards, lateral to Jared Dolan for no gain for a TOUCHDOWN.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Jim probably stands for Julmiste....

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

Jim and Eats it.........   you really need to watch the replay. but I guess there is always going to be a couple its cool.  play on #8 play on!!! thanks to the rest of you for your support!!!

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Mr. Grothe, I was just watching the replay of the play when you typed this.

The receiver had MAYBE a step, step and a half... Matt hit him but the receiver had to hesitate juuuuuuuuuust a bit.  Barely.

Believe me, NOTHING to nit pick on.  Matt looked great and it was a pleasure watching him tonight.  The checking off thing... he did check off a few times, particularly on Cedrick Hill's big gain play.

Needs to do it more, but he DID do it on occasion, so I was wrong about him never doing it.  Hey, he's making his first start!  He's not going to be Joe Montana... yet!  =)

You should be very proud of him.  We all are.

And by the way, tell him we hung out by the tunnel waiting to cheer him as he went in the locker room at the end of the game, but we never saw him.  Just saw that he was giving an interview to Al Keck during that time.  

He's a great kid... very humble and respectful during the interview.  My opinion... he's earned the start next week.  Give him our kudos.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

thank you sir.  he is a great son. and I am very proud of him!!!

The kid sells the playaction like a pro, too.  At least three times I bit and followed the wrong guy on the field while Matt dropped back or bootlegged out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

A Good Day at the Office.

6x9-2112.JPG

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Wow USF has a QB, a real can throw the ball far and/or with touch QB. I will suffer through any freshman mistakes gladly. I am so happy about this that I cannot put it into words.

"After that my guess is that you will never hear from PJ again. The greatest trick that MG ever pulled was convincing the world PJ did not exist. And like that... he is gone."

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

No dropped passes and MG looked as good or better than any Freshman QB I've ever seen. I was there. When we ran out of feet to shoot we looked **** good... check the stats.

Plus, McNeese State was not that bad. Very fast.