• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What made you a Bulls diehard?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

This board...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

I'd say mostly the undeniable maelstrom (stampede, if you will) that is Bulls spirit. I spent probably my first year being stubborn and adhering only to my other alma mater, but after a year in the trenches, especially with some of the most spirited students on campus (my assistantship was with CAB, also sharing an office with Homecoming) I couldn't help it.

Well I guess I had a little part in that since I was in both, CAB and Homecoming.  I thought you had a lot of school spirit at USF, including your 1st year.

Absolutely. And I wasn't particularly spirited first year, particularly first semester. I went to all the football games and everything, but I still refered to USF as "y'all's school" and "my graduate degree granting institution." In fact, CAB retreat my 2nd semester (Spring '04) I even resolved to have more Bull pride... looks like it worked. :-)

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  698

Growing up in the area were all you hear about is FSU and UF, made me hate the schools. When I was being recruted for baseball UM gave me an offer, but the area was not something I would want to live around. I ended up at FAU because their baseball program was in the top 10, and I would rather not go to college if it ment FSU or UF. Anyway, I was miseralbe at FAU so I came back home to the Tampa area. Was always a sports fan but playing sports took up too much time to become a die hard fan, with going to USF I just quite baseball and took the time to become a fan/student. While I was there '00-'04 (yes, I was on the 5 yr plan) I didn't miss a single football game or basketball game, and that included having to skip several class to attend some basketball games. Since I graduated I feel that the school has given me so much, that it is only right for me to pour that into the school. So, myself and my family will all be Bulls for life!!

• Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797

I enrolled at USF fall quarter, 1979.  From then on I was a Bull.  BUT diehard status was a result of two events:

1.  completion of the Sun Dome.  I had no car, only a 10 speed.  I could not attend any basketball games at Curtis Hixson, et al.  The Sun Dome made it possible for me to attend hoops games.

2.  Hiring of Lee Rose basketball coach.  This was HUGE in 1980.  Rose had taken UNCC and Purdue to the Final Four.  Now he was at USF.  USF really first received notoriety nationally with this hire.

A diehard Bulls fan was born.

8-)

Normal

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

I was a Spartan fan and love college football. Missed it since.

I haven't missed a home game since the BULLS started.

Here's a good one.

Today is college game day at my daughters school. A friend that we've been "recruiting" from a gator dad is wearing the GREEN AND GOLD today!  Dad ain't happy!

I love it!

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I Think it was/is the unique position that USF is in right now... The school  has just a fraction of the history of the "others" But, to have the opportunity to build traditions and now to help current students with the future (as an Alumni), Is kinda exiting. Also, I gotta tell ya, if it wasn't for my certifiable friend, Art Jones, I wouldn't be half as stupid as I am today.  This dude is crazy, and WILL NOT STOP UNTIL BULL NATION IS UNIVERSIAL !  I see myself as an ambassador for the school and always try to sing it's prasies. But Art stomps it into you.  

I think he created a monster.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

ART FOR PRESIDENT!

I've met you guys on a few road trips. In Websters under the definition of RABID FAN... Arts picture.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  348

I transferred to USF out of Community College so I was really looking forward to a "real" college atmosphere with the crazy parties, comradery, school pride that you imagine when you think of a large university, even though I knew nobody at USF. Within a week I realized that everyone else in the Engineering department was more worried about studying 24/7 than athletics, so I was going to have to take matters into my own hands.  I went to my first football game alone, got wasted, and made a bunch of great friends.  The rest is history......   Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

When I was accepted at USF during my SR year in high school (2000), before I was a fan but not a diehard

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  135

My high school marching band performed a couple half time shows for the first two years (since the band was just starting out).  I remember thinking how great it was be to be a part of the beginning of a tradition.