• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

U Conn 6-0?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

UCONN HUSKIES FOOTBALL

Back For More

5 Questions As UConn Tries To Improve On 5 Wins

July 30, 2006

By SHAWN COURCHESNE, Courant Staff Writer  The UConn football team opens practice Friday in Storrs.

The Huskies are coming off an injury-filled 5-6 season that saw them tie Cincinnati for sixth place (2-5) in the Big East.

Here are five things to ponder before UConn opens against Rhode Island Aug. 31 at Rentschler Field.

Will a tough end to last season carry over?

Things looked quite rosy after a 26-7 victory over Syracuse lifted the Huskies to 4-1. Still, the tone of the season seemed set in that game when starting quarterback Matt Bonislawski went down with a shoulder injury.

With the quarterback carousel in full spin as freshmen D.J. Hernandez and Dennis Brown replaced Bonislawski, UConn went 1-5 in its final six games, with injuries all over the field.

Looking at the schedule, the optimist could see UConn opening 6-0 before facing West Virginia at home Oct. 20.

UConn is home vs. Rhode Island, Wake Forest, Navy and Army, and goes to Indiana and South Florida before hosting West Virginia.

"I've been chomping ever since the end of last year to get back out and to play and erase some of the things that took place a year go," coach Randy Edsall said. "None of us were satisfied with what happened last year. The only way that you can get around that is get back on the field as quickly as you can and compete.

"[Last year] was disappointing. We had our standards set and we didn't achieve the goals, didn't get it done. You want to try to win your conference championship each year and go to a bowl game. Those are the two goals that you have. We didn't achieve that last year. I think this team, through the winter, spring and the summer, I see a team that's charged and focused to go get that experience of playing in the postseason again."

Who opens at Quarterback?

There was no definitive answer in spring practice, but all indications point to Hernandez taking the spot Bonislawski held at the start of last season.

Lingering shoulder injuries seemed to slow Bonislawski for much of spring practice, allowing Hernandez to race to the top of the depth chart. Hernandez took the bulk of the snaps in the spring and Edsall has not wavered from his declaration that Hernandez is leading the chase.

"The thing there, as we go into the season, D.J. is ahead," Edsall said. "He's the guy that's moved forward in that competition. You've got Bones there with him and you've got Dennis Brown and Billy [Cundiff]. But everything that I've heard and things that I've seen is that D.J. has had a very productive summer and has worked extremely hard to solidify his position with the No. 1 quarterback job. A lot of it's going to be just to see how guys come along, but right now, D.J. is the guy that is the leader."

Bonislawski and Hernandez each played seven games last season. Bonislawski was 82-for-162 for 836 yards with six touchdowns and seven interceptions. Bonislawski also gained 239 yards rushing on 62 carries. Hernandez was 46-for-90 for 515 yards with six TDs and one interception. Hernandez gained 286 yards on 64 carries.

Cundiff, whom many expected to be pushed into duty after redshirting last year, remains a question mark.

Will teammates get behind Hernandez?

While questions remain about Hernandez's ability to put the offense on his back, there's little doubt he has the heart for it.

Of late nobody on the roster seems to garner more praise for work ethic and effort.

In a spring practice, former UConn quarterback Dan Orlovsky said Hernandez was one of the hardest-working people he had ever met.

Senior captain Terry Caulley said he is awed watching Hernandez work.

"As an athlete, as a kid, as a student of the game, he works so hard," Caulley said. "I want to put him on the same level as Orlovsky. He works like no other. That's great dedication. You see that and it makes you want to work as hard as he does. But if he gets that job he's going to have to make the changes. His style is kind of a drop-back-and-run kind of deal. Patience is what he's going to have to learn. It's getting confident in the huddle and being relaxed that's very important. If you have a shaky quarterback in the huddle, that's not going to do us any good because he is our leader."

What about the offense beyond QB?

This is probably where the most questions lie. Things look good in the backfield with Caulley, in his final season, declaring himself as fit as he was in his big freshman season (1,247 yards rushing, 15 TDs). Behind Caulley, the positives seem abundant. Sophomore Lou Allen moves from fullback, where he had 381 yards on 86 carries last season, to halfback. Allen and freshman Andre Dixon look prepared to spell Caulley. The return of Deon Anderson at fullback, who spent a year away from school handling personal matters, gives Edsall another threat.

"You're getting a guy first of all that plays with a tremendous amount of passion, who is a tough, unselfish football player and gives you a blocker back there that can aid you in the running game," Edsall said. "He's also a guy that can catch the ball out of the backfield. I feel he's an experienced player. His leadership and his enthusiasm will help as well."

Questions remain at wide receiver and on the offensive line. Senior Brandon Young and junior Brandon McLean lead a young receiving corps that did little to stand out in the spring and was regularly criticized by Edsall. Edsall considers his young offensive line of left tackle William Beatty (sophomore), left guard Matt Applebaum (senior), center Keith Gray (sophomore), right guard Immanuel Hutcherson (sophomore) and right tackle Mike Hicks (freshman) a work in a progress with potential.

"The one thing you'll see up front is you can see the added strength and conditioning of the offensive linemen," Edsall said. "In terms of their cohesiveness and their coming together, that's not going to take place until you get the pads on."

Will the Big East gain respect?

The conference sent four teams to bowls last season, down from five in 2004. The Big East went 1-3 with Rutgers, South Florida and Louisville losing. Still, what many took notice of was West Virginia's 38-35 victory over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

"That victory did more for our league than any win all season," Edsall said. "We needed a win like that. The conference needed that shot in the arm. We knew we had good teams. We just had to have that opportunity and [West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez] and his club took advantage. Now, all we have to do is go out there and continue to beat teams from other conferences. Those are the things that boost the conference and silence the critics."

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737
  • Days Won:  0

Hilarious.  We will destroy UConn this year at home.  I am staking my rep on the board on this. I am more sure of this game than the FIU game.  UConn will pay for last year.  43-3 USF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

...  UConn will pay for last year.  43-3 USF

I agree with you !!! ... really think the fan support will be very good for this game. Our record should be very well, I am expecting to be undefeated  8-)

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I don't know about 43-3.  That score seems a tad high.  Maybe a 28-10 drubbing of the Huskies is in store.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

I just want a dominating game ... not too worried about the score ... but it wouldn't hurt  8-)