• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BCS berth: Will it stay or will it go?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

If the Big East is removed from the BCS rotation, who will get the slot?  What other conference is more deserving?  C-USA?  Mountain West?  MAC?  WAC?  Are any of these conferences that much better than the BE that you would yank the BE BCS and give it to one of them?  I guess the bigger possibility is that they would make the BE slot and "At-large" slot.  

In my very naive (and uneducated in this matter) opinion, I just don't see it happening.

The reason why this COULD happen is that the five remaining BCS conferences would look at the remaining slot and decide that it should remain an at-large bid.  That's an extra $13 million for one of their conferences instead of going to the Big East.  In fact, one of the principal reasons why the ACC added Miami and Virginia Tech was to increase the likelihood of them getting one of the at-large bids every year.  

The only thing that I think is preventing this is the fact that knocking the Big East out of BCS status creates a situation where there are more non-BCS schools than BCS schools.  I don't think they want to lose their majority status among Division I-A football schools.  

USFFan

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  23

The TV people will kill to have Big East Hoops. That will be the short term stick that MT will use to keep the BE at the BCS Table. Also TV sets.

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

The reason why this COULD happen is that the five remaining BCS conferences would look at the remaining slot and decide that it should remain an at-large bid.  That's an extra $13 million for one of their conferences instead of going to the Big East.  In fact, one of the principal reasons why the ACC added Miami and Virginia Tech was to increase the likelihood of them getting one of the at-large bids every year.

I highlighted the only problem I have with your reply. ABC controls the BCS money and while I agree that each BCS conference wants another slot in the BCS, if ABC wants the BE market, then the BE will stay in the BCS. IMO, that was why USF was added to the BE - the 13th TV market. USF's potential was just a benny for the BE, IMO.

The only thing that I think is preventing this is the fact that knocking the Big East out of BCS status creates a situation where there are more non-BCS schools than BCS schools.  I don't think they want to lose their majority status among Division I-A football schools.  

USFFan

I think the number of the non-BCS vs the BCS schools will be a big political factor if the BCS after 2006 is similar to what is in place now. IMO, the best scenario for the BE is for a 5th bowl to be added with one or both slots going to the current non-BCS conferences. That would make the BE keeping its autobid a lock.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

The only people who think the Big East will lose it's BCS slot are the sour grapes and player haters from ECU and UCF. ;D

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  39

So,  the analyst from ESPN, FOXSPORTS NEWS and  sporting news, went to ECU and UCF...not to mention countless staff writers for some of the biggest newssources ? not bad, maybe the alumni could capitalize on this clout . LOB99 your and F'N ignoramous, read some of the articles you dumba$$. The BE is in real peril of losing their BCS automatic spot...

Guest S. Bien
So,  the analyst from ESPN, FOXSPORTS NEWS and  sporting news, went to ECU and UCF...not to mention countless staff writers for some of the biggest newssources ? not bad, maybe the alumni could capitalize on this clout . LOB99 your and F'N ignoramous, read some of the articles you dumba$$. The BE is in real peril of losing their BCS automatic spot...

The Big East is not 'in real peril of losing their BCS automatic spot....'  Dream as you wish, but assurances were made, and the plan is not to remove but to add.  The question is what to add, at what level, and how to accomodate.  Once you realize that it will be much easier to get on with your life.  Not speculation, but real information.   If you don't believe me that's fine but those that know realize my information has been right on the mark about these issues.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

There should be no automatic slots.  Any conference champion in the BCS top 12 (or pick a number I guess), should get a bid.  Nothing is static.  The rest are at large bids.  That way if UNT were to beat OU and finish with a good season (unlikely but possible...i guess) even they could be included from the sun belt.

Let the "best" conferences prove it each year.

Then just develop a system where the poll voting bias is at least partially reversed (im sure that is possible)

IMO, this may wind up happening.  Most years the BCS bowls could still get who they want.

Guest S. Bien
There should be no automatic slots.  Any conference champion in the BCS top 12 (or pick a number I guess), should get a bid.  Nothing is static.  The rest are at large bids.  That way if UNT were to beat OU and finish with a good season (unlikely but possible...i guess) even they could be included from the sun belt.

Let the "best" conferences prove it each year.

Then just develop a system where the poll voting bias is at least partially reversed (im sure that is possible)

IMO, this may wind up happening.  Most years the BCS bowls could still get who they want.

Crazy talk, now that your in a BCS Conference. ;D  The whole problem with that argument is the interest in the championship games, and BCS are generated by fans.  The reason they can spend $14mm a team this year is because of the ratings, and attendance.  If you had UNT v. OK the results would be the same as they were at the beginning of the season.  UNT is severely underequiped to handle any BCS team, the once in ten thousand argument holds credence here.

The idea, and the only way that holds water, is if they play a playoff with the top 16-24 teams, but then someone would cry that UNT that won the SunBelt's Conference Championship deserves to get in.  Bull crap, they've only won three OOC games in three years.  The only way it still may work is by maintaining the bowls but keeping the prestigious bowls, and BCS bowls for the quarter final, semi final, and final game.  Thus weeding out the less desirables early on.  In the end it will never happen because the NCAA doesn't govern the BCS, or bowls they simply sanction them.  The schools love the bowl set-up, and many bowls would walk as opposed to getting shafted with some #10 v. #20 of TCU v. NIU that wouldn't draw the dollars it would if they had a month to prepare for a Wisconsin v. USC.  

Those are the truths of college sports.  The question is how do you make folks content without destroying the system and hurting everyone.  The minute you punish the system then the bowls dry-up, the dollars shrink, and attendance shrinks (why go to see every game as a UF fan if you just need to be topp 24 to make a playoff system), and money is gone.  All of a sudden SEC schools start having money problems, and schools like USF would die in the red.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion,what ever makes you sleep better at night knowing UCF had no choice but to join CDOA